It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
(female)

tattoowings HB User
Sjogrens and tooth decay?

I have not been diagnosed with Sjogrens yet, but see a Rheumatologist in a few weeks. I have bad dry mouth, cystitis, my mother has Sjogrens so I am pretty sure I have it.
Today I went to a dentist for the first time in 2 years or so. She was shocked by the problems dry mouth has caused with my teeth. She says the dry mouth has actually caused the enamel of my teeth to be decayed. I also have a lot of cavities. There were no mention of this the last time I saw a dentist( as I said about 2 years ago).
I have to use a prescription grade tooth paste and use a leave in oral strengthening paste that is held in by plastic trays at nights to try to maintain the little enamel I have left. I go to have the trays fitted next week.
I am just curious if anyone else had had this much damage done to their teeth in a short time. I knew the dry mouth was a pain in the butt, but this is really a surprise. I am really frustrated and feeling down about this.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Sjogrens and tooth decay?

Sjogren's is associated with tooth decay, because saliva has antiseptic qualities, so lack of it lets bacteria grow in mouth more easily. This is a common problem, and can happen even with good oral hygiene. One things that is helpful is to rinse mouth out thoroughly after each meal and snack to get small food particles out and cleanse the teeth and gums. There are medications and oral applicants that can increase saliva, keep the membranes moist and help prevent decay. I would ask your Dr for suggestions and a possible prescription for your dry mouth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
(female)

tiredteacher32 HB User

You can also use products that promote saliva production, such as Biotene mouthwash, toothpaste, and gum. I use a prescription fluoride toothpaste to prevent the cavities that I get due to my Sjogrens. I also go for a fluoride treatment every 3 months in the dentist's office, and I use Gel Kam, which is a prescription gel that coats the teeth and promotes enamel health.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
(female)

tattoowings HB User

The dentist is having me use a enamel building gel held in place by little plastic tooth guards at night. It's not too bad to do. Its just like having in a retainer for braces.

Right now I am dealing more with the cystitis problems. I am back to having daily bladder pain. Ugh.
I am fed up with having all these little medical issues its annoying.

Reply Reply