It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2003, 03:31 AM   #1

Sweet_Neveah HB User
itty bitty red spots

Just curious. I have always had a tiny, and we are talking very small red spot on my arm that I have noticed but didn't think it was anything. But now that I look at my whole body and have many of these small specks of red on me. I feel like someone grabbed a red pen and dotted me with it. I have a few on my left arm two on my chest a few on my left arm and I might have some anywhere else just haven't seen them yet. What is this and why do I have it. they don't hurt. They just look like red pen dots, that are really hard to see unless you look really close.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:44 PM   #2
(female)

Lil'Pea HB User
Re: itty bitty red spots

well, I too have some of these and when i asked my doc about them he said that they are harmless and that alot of women have them. He said they are basically caused from heat (not like a heat rash though). Meaning they form in places on the body that are often excessively warm....like under or between the breasts or arms.....you described them perfectly! So if they are what i have then they are absolutely nothing to be concerned about! Hope this helps!

Also, they don't go away....thank goodness they are tiny huh?

Last edited by Lil'Pea; 04-19-2005 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2005, 02:11 AM   #3
(female)

mrsb23 HB User

These small pin point dots are calles petechiae, and yes its caused from bleeding into the skin. Just this symptom on its own is not really any cause for concern but should you experience joint pain, fever etc etc then this should be run past your gp. The most common causes are stress, allergy, trauma, but can also be linked to luekemia, and other blood disorders. A simple blood test can rule these out as they will test platelet levels.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
(female)

RA girl HB User
Smile Re: itty bitty red spots

I have had these itty bitty red spots for 15 years. Each year it seems I get more and more, and they tend to bleed if they get bumbed or scratched open. One of the first ones I ever found bleed for 3 days and I actually had go to the doctor and he put acid on it to seal it back up. The doctor told me that they were just blood vesels which came to the surface of the skin. I do get concerned because I keep getting more and some of them are as large as the head of a pin (the ones with the little balls on the top). Does anyone know of a cause, could it have anything to do with poor circulation?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
(male)

thisisfutile HB User

I felt the need to reply because of RA girl's post (and anyone that might be experiencing what she is). I'm not a doctor, but like the others in this thread, I don't experience any pain or discomfort from these...heck, I don't even worry about them. I also think that BDC570 has explained them well, small, flat and no pain associated. I'd also like to add, from the distance of my eyes to my outstretched forearm, they look like nothing more than a tiny mole. It's when you get closer that you see a more blood-red color.

I've been seeing them for several years now (5 or 6?) and I'm not sure I believe Lil'Pea when she says that "they don't go away". I've never plotted them out on a chart, but I'm fairly confident that some go away and others appear. I'd guess I have about 30 on my whole body, mainly on my arms, chest, and belly (aka, middle-aged developing beer gut). Like RA girl, I too have some that are as big as the round part of a straight pin (2 to be exact). However, I've never seen one bleed...thus the reason I'm posting. I even tried to scratch one of these open and can't succeed at that. If you're experiencing symptoms like RA girl, it might be a little worse than the average and you might want to consider a visit to the doctor.

HTH,

thisisfutile

Closed Thread