It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2003, 05:29 PM   #1

Merv HB User
whats that smell?

Hi Everyone
Hope for all to have a stress free, relaxing Holiday and New Year. I wish that everyone has sucess in dealing with and solving their own problems & situations.

Maybe someone can help me with my situation. My boyfriend who is a real nice guy needs help. He showers every morning and goes off to work. Then I go into bath to shower and his towel will have a strong ammonia or cat urine smell!??? He however has very little body odor. I have tried to research this & most everything seems to point to diet. He needs to eat more unprocessed carbohydrates and also he may be dehydrated which i notice he drinks very little water. He drinks juice, soda, ice tea, coffee and seems to get by with those. One other article mentioned a possible skin infection. Well thats when red flag went up. So i thought i would ask if anyone else could shed some light on this weirdness and a kind way to bring this up & make him understand what's happening & how to deal with it. Yikes your towel smells like cat pee!! How tactfull.
Thank you
Merv

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2003, 07:54 AM   #2
Inactive

sweetpoison68 HB User
Re: whats that smell?

[QUOTE=Merv]Hi Everyone
Hope for all to have a stress free, relaxing Holiday and New Year. I wish that everyone has sucess in dealing with and solving their own problems & situations.

Maybe someone can help me with my situation. My boyfriend who is a real nice guy needs help. He showers every morning and goes off to work. Then I go into bath to shower and his towel will have a strong ammonia or cat urine smell!??? He however has very little body odor. I have tried to research this & most everything seems to point to diet. He needs to eat more unprocessed carbohydrates and also he may be dehydrated which i notice he drinks very little water. He drinks juice, soda, ice tea, coffee and seems to get by with those. One other article mentioned a possible skin infection. Well thats when red flag went up. So i thought i would ask if anyone else could shed some light on this weirdness and a kind way to bring this up & make him understand what's happening & how to deal with it. Yikes your towel smells like cat pee!! How tactfull.
Thank you
Merv[/QUOTE]
I am not being a smart a## but how often does he wash his towel?I only smelled this when i would let towels dry and reuse them..I dont do this anymore...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2003, 10:51 AM   #3

Merv HB User
Question Re: whats that smell?

Hi Thanks for your reply.
He uses his towel maybe three times at most. I wash them in warm water and make sure they are dried before they can sour cuz that will make things smell yuck. I don't know why my towels do not do this. I probly change mine less then he does and the are in the same confined area together. Not sure what to think.
Thanks
Merv

Old 12-15-2003, 12:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

[QUOTE=Merv]Hi Thanks for your reply.
He uses his towel maybe three times at most. I wash them in warm water and make sure they are dried before they can sour cuz that will make things smell yuck. I don't know why my towels do not do this. I probly change mine less then he does and the are in the same confined area together. Not sure what to think.
Thanks
Merv[/QUOTE]

There is no way I would ever consider using a towel my husband had used I have to agree - the towels smell after one use. I tend to think it is due to the fact that they rarely (if at all) use a washcloth. If they use the soap and just their hands to wash, it is not effective in removing any dead skin cells that cling to the body. It is usually these dead skin cells that get into the towel and make it smell sour - even right after a bath.

Get him to use a good body soap/wash with a washcloth, bath mitts or a loofa. I think you will find the towels don't smell as much if he scrubs off the dead skin cells properly.

Old 12-15-2003, 01:05 PM   #5
(female)

ab123 HB User
Lightbulb Re: whats that smell?

I was looking for info on nails, and saw this.

I just wanted to share. I have a set of dark green towels, which I swear smell after one use. While, I have the same brand, in white and in yellow, that I do not notice a smell after one use.

I shower every morning. I hate when it's time for the green towels in the rotation!!!

Amy

Old 12-15-2003, 01:55 PM   #6

Debra Noel HB User

On an aside note, is he really active. The reason I ask is that I am a long distance runner, and if I am not well-hydrated, with a good amount of carbohydrates, I will get a very strong ammonia smell when sweating. This may not apply, but if so, just make sure he is drinking enough and having enough energy.

Closed Thread