It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2003, 03:00 PM   #1

Tim Z. HB User
Question Cracking Skin Around Corners Of Mouth

I've had this problem for quite some time. It's gotten worse over the last year.
The skin around the corners of my mouth will crack and it usually takes days before the cracking heals. Sometimes I will go weeks without having any cracking flareups, and then suddenly it starts again.

A number of years ago I went to a Dermatologist who told me this was caused by excess drool (For lack of a better term) around the corners of my mouth when I sleep, eventually causing infection. At that time I got it under control with antibiotics and antibiotic ointment, and went a long time with no flareups.
I just got off antibiotics for an unrelated infection and I put antibiotic ointment around the corners of my mouth every day (I have for nearly a year). This does nothing.
I have no medical insurance right now and can't afford to see a Dermatologist for a while. If someone knows what might be causing this and what I can do to permanently stop it, I would be very grateful.

Thanks for any help!

Old 12-14-2003, 06:52 AM   #2
Inactive

sweetpoison68 HB User
Re: Cracking Skin Around Corners Of Mouth

[QUOTE=Tim Z.]I've had this problem for quite some time. It's gotten worse over the last year.
The skin around the corners of my mouth will crack and it usually takes days before the cracking heals. Sometimes I will go weeks without having any cracking flareups, and then suddenly it starts again.

A number of years ago I went to a Dermatologist who told me this was caused by excess drool (For lack of a better term) around the corners of my mouth when I sleep, eventually causing infection. At that time I got it under control with antibiotics and antibiotic ointment, and went a long time with no flareups.
I just got off antibiotics for an unrelated infection and I put antibiotic ointment around the corners of my mouth every day (I have for nearly a year). This does nothing.
I have no medical insurance right now and can't afford to see a Dermatologist for a while. If someone knows what might be causing this and what I can do to permanently stop it, I would be very grateful.

Thanks for any help![/QUOTE]
My brother is 45 and he had this also for a long time..He is rinsing with 1/2 peroxide 1/2 water ratio daily and actually lets it run around the outer parts of his mouth as he spits it out..It has helped him tremendously..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2003, 12:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

I used to get this too. It would go away then come back a couple of weeks later. Turned out to be recurrent yeast infection. I used Nystatin ointment and it hasn't come back since.

Old 12-26-2003, 04:47 PM   #4

heartbreaker HB User

Hi. Read your question re: cracking around mouth. My mother had a similar problem for nearly 2 years. I did a web search and discovered it was a result of sleeping with false teeth... the "drooling" yeast connection is correct! Several weeks of Lotrimin application did the trick. Good luck!

Last edited by heartbreaker; 12-26-2003 at 04:48 PM.

Old 12-27-2003, 11:35 PM   #5

VeryOldLady HB User

I get this pretty often and have had to deal with it most my life. In my case, it seemes to be connected with eating grapefruit or tomatoes. Unfortunately, I love both, so when they're in season, I begin looking like the Riddler dude in the old Batman series. But, when they're out of season, the cracks dry up and heal.

I think it has something to do with the acid in these fruits.

Old 01-16-2004, 08:55 PM   #6

dentalnitemare HB User

I get this from time to time also,my doctor said it was a lack of vitamins one of the B vitamins.But he could have been wrong,just thought I'd add this you could ask your doctor and see if this could be part of your problem also.

Old 01-17-2004, 09:31 AM   #7
(male)

redwing HB User
Thumbs up Re: Cracking Skin Around Corners Of Mouth

Sores at the corners of the mouth can be caused by a deficiency of Vitamin B2. Don't megadose on any one of the B vitamins as it will deplete others. I would suggest taking a multivitamin with 100% of the RDA for all the B vitamins.
Also take C (250 mg.) and Zinc (50 mg.) separately (12 hours from the multiple) to speed the healing of the sores.

Last edited by redwing; 01-19-2004 at 05:19 AM.

Old 01-17-2004, 11:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

My husband has this all the time because he 'drools' at night. It's so bad that his pillow is always yellow from the stains as well as the pillowcases. I have to buy him new pillows all the time. It is a yeast infection of the skin in that area where it is constantly irritated by being wet all the time. Lotrisone ointment will help, but if you cannot get a prescription for it, you can use over-the-counter Lotrimin. It will say it is for athletes foot on the label, but since athletes foot is also caused by yeast (infection), it will help.

Yeast is NOT a bacteria, which is why the anti-bacterial ointment hasn't been helping. The infection stems from the site being wet all the time, and the body's natural "anti-bodies" (being of the yeast family themselves) will gather at the site in an attempt to ward off what it believes is an 'invader'. When it finds no true 'invader' to ward off, the spores turn against good healthy tissue, which in turn allows a yeast infection to develop.

Gargle with a mixture of 1/3rd mouthwash, 1/3rd peroxide and 1/3rd water every night before bed and again after brushing your teeth in the morning. Apply the ointment as needed during the day.

Old 07-22-2004, 03:10 PM   #9
(female)

Shirley M HB User

[QUOTE=Tim Z.]I've had this problem for quite some time. It's gotten worse over the last year.

Thanks for any help![/QUOTE]

Old 07-22-2004, 03:15 PM   #10
(female)

Shirley M HB User

I have had cracks in the corner of my mouth,off and on for years.
Take a Iron supplement tonight and when you get up in the morning it will be gone. You are Iron deficent.
Shirley M

Closed Thread