It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2003, 08:21 PM   #1

siren3 HB User
Will Jojoba oil or vitamin E oil clog pores?

I have a feeling the Vitamin E oil will, but what about Jojoba?

Old 12-16-2003, 05:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Will Jojoba oil or vitamin E oil clog pores?

[QUOTE=siren3]I have a feeling the Vitamin E oil will, but what about Jojoba?[/QUOTE]

Neither one will clog the pores. Jojoba oil mimics your bodies natural sebum. The molecules are small enough to penetrate the skin pores, open them up, then draw the healing properties of the vitamin E in after it. I have been using this oil mixture on my skin for about 15 years - maybe more. My 55 year old skin looks fabulous, and it has helped to prevent some of the wrinkles that most of my friends have - and I don't.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2003, 07:52 AM   #3

SMarie1981 HB User

Vitamin E WILL definitely clog pores.

Old 12-16-2003, 09:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

[QUOTE=SMarie1981]Vitamin E WILL definitely clog pores.[/QUOTE]

Vitamin E, when used on its own, WILL clog the pores - yes, you are right. The molecular structure of vitamin E is 'huge', so each individual molecule is way to large to do anything but sit on the surface of the skin and clog the pores. However, if one mixes vitamin E at 1oz to 4oz of jojoba oil, the tiny molecules of the jojoba will penetrate the skins pores, open them up, and draw the vitamin E in after it to the deeper portions of the dermis where it can actually do the skin good.

Lets say that the molecules of jojoba oil are the size of a golf ball, and the molecules of vitamin E are the size of a softball. Since your skins pores are equal to the size of jojoba molecules, it is easy for them to penetrate into the pores. Once they get in there, they act as a 'cleansing' and moisturizing agent for the skin. They will 'push out' or 'push aside' any compacted sebum and fill up the space. After they do this, the pores soften and 'open up' so the large molecules of the vitamin E can be drawn into the pore. Since the mixture is mostly jojoba oil, there isn't enough vitamin E to 'clog' the pore as the jojoba molecules keeps it (them) open.

One should never use vitamin E oil on its own unless they just need a skin lubricant because that is all it will do - lubricate the surface of the skin to prevent friction. It's great for massages, but if one is intending to use it as a 'healing' oil, it MUST be mixed with jojoba to benefit the skin.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marti For This Useful Post:
beesbow (03-26-2012)
Old 12-16-2003, 04:16 PM   #5

siren3 HB User

Thank you so much, that was extremely informative and helpful! Just one or two more questions, do you know where jojoba is usually sold? Would a health food store have it? And how much should be applied to face, for example, the size of a dime or less? Thanks again.

Last edited by siren3; 12-16-2003 at 04:50 PM.

Old 12-17-2003, 04:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=siren3]Thank you so much, that was extremely informative and helpful! Just one or two more questions, do you know where jojoba is usually sold? Would a health food store have it? And how much should be applied to face, for example, the size of a dime or less? Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

You should be able to find the jojoba and vitamin E oils at the health food store - otherwise you can find them on the net.

I use 3 drops of the oil mixture on my face - any more than that and it will not absorb into your skin. Plus, it will be a waste of your product. In the case of this oil, more is NOT better. It is better to apply it more often during the day than to apply a bunch at one time.

Old 12-17-2003, 05:00 PM   #7

Kaia_27 HB User

I mix a little vitamin e oil in with my moisturizer at night. It doesn't seem to clog my pores, though I have small pores and normal-dry skin, and rarely have blackheads or breakouts. If it has a high concentration of vitamin e in the oil it may be different. The kind I have is safflower oil with 4,000 I.U. of vitamin e. HTH!

Old 12-18-2003, 11:21 AM   #8
(female)

ms_metis HB User

I get blackheads a lot and am considering using Jojoba oil on my face. Can you just use jojoba oil alone? Will it open my pores and move out the compacted sebum and other stuff causing the blackheads?

Also, once you put the oil on, do you wash it off after a few minutes? I just wonder...if the sebum comes out the pore, wouldn't it sit on the skin if not washed off?

My skin is combo--slightly oily around the T zone, but really dry other places. I don't wear makeup and have pretty clear skin. I only get blackheads.

Thanks...I'm so glad I found this site!

Old 12-18-2003, 01:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=ms_metis]I get blackheads a lot and am considering using Jojoba oil on my face. Can you just use jojoba oil alone? Will it open my pores and move out the compacted sebum and other stuff causing the blackheads?

Also, once you put the oil on, do you wash it off after a few minutes? I just wonder...if the sebum comes out the pore, wouldn't it sit on the skin if not washed off?

My skin is combo--slightly oily around the T zone, but really dry other places. I don't wear makeup and have pretty clear skin. I only get blackheads.

Thanks...I'm so glad I found this site![/QUOTE]

Yes, you can use jojoba oil on its own. It will penetrate the pores and help to 'flush out' the collected 'stuff' from deep within the tissues. If you have acne/blackheads that are deep within the surface, it will force them to the surface - so, you may end up with a few more acne spots until the jojoba can completely clean out the pores. Breaking up blackheads can take a little longer, but it will work on them as well.

Apply a few drops to your face twice daily and allow it to absorb into the skin. This can take about 10 minutes, but if you apply too much, al of it will not absorb, so you would need to wipe off whatever remains on the surface after a 10 minute time span.

Old 12-18-2003, 04:21 PM   #10

siren3 HB User

ms_metis, hey, thanks for asking that question. I was wondering the exact same thing, because I have the same problem. And it's so frustrating! I'm glad I found this site, too!

To Marti: I was curious about one other thing, when I start using JoJoba, are there any other topical creams or ingredients that I should avoid while using it? For example, I guess a moisturizer would be fine, but I was also thinking about trying the Oil of Olay Regenerist serum (for scars, pores, and uneven texture, but I haven't decided yet on whether to use it or not, I've just heard good things about it), anyway, would it or anything else be too much to use combined with the JoJoba or interfere with it working on the skin? Also, will Jojoba make the pores look big? Thank you.

Old 12-19-2003, 06:15 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=siren3]ms_metis, hey, thanks for asking that question. I was wondering the exact same thing, because I have the same problem. And it's so frustrating! I'm glad I found this site, too!

To Marti: I was curious about one other thing, when I start using JoJoba, are there any other topical creams or ingredients that I should avoid while using it? For example, I guess a moisturizer would be fine, but I was also thinking about trying the Oil of Olay Regenerist serum (for scars, pores, and uneven texture, but I haven't decided yet on whether to use it or not, I've just heard good things about it), anyway, would it or anything else be too much to use combined with the JoJoba or interfere with it working on the skin? Also, will Jojoba make the pores look big? Thank you.[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't ned to use anything else on your skin if you mix 4oz jojoba oil with 1oz vitamin E oil and 1oz of sweet almond oil. The vitamin E would help to heal any 'light' scaring as well as to even out the texture. It does this because it helps to prevent/alleviate the free-radical molecules that lead to pre-mature aging of the skin. Jojoba will not change the diameter or depth of the existing pores - it will just help to make them look smoother. The ONLY thing I use on my skin and face is the jojoba oil in different mixtures with vitamin E, rice bran oil or safflower oil, sweet almond oil and/or passion flower oil. Mixing these together will give your skin the benefits of rehydration (moisturizing), conditioning and healing/anti-aging.

The only time I recommend using something on your skin AFTER applying the jojoba oil mixture is if you use a prescription cream/ointment for acne, rosacea, exzema, etc that was given to you by your physician. Applying straight jojoba oil first will help the medication do its job much better.

Old 12-19-2003, 06:35 AM   #12

Kaia_27 HB User

Is there a particular brand of jojoba oil that you jojoba users would recommend? I know that vitamin e oils vary greatly, so I'd guess that jojoba is the same way (?). Thanks!

Old 12-19-2003, 06:42 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=Kaia_27]Is there a particular brand of jojoba oil that you jojoba users would recommend? I know that vitamin e oils vary greatly, so I'd guess that jojoba is the same way (?). Thanks! [/QUOTE]

I use Desert Essence Jojoba Oil and I found it over the internet. It seems to work the best for me - PLUS, I don't have to go get in the car and go shopping. I also get my vitamin E from them. The other oils I get from my beauty supplier along with the 'carrier' lotion.

Old 01-13-2004, 04:55 PM   #14

Kaia_27 HB User

[QUOTE=Marti]One should never use vitamin E oil on its own unless they just need a skin lubricant because that is all it will do - lubricate the surface of the skin to prevent friction. It's great for massages, but if one is intending to use it as a 'healing' oil, it MUST be mixed with jojoba to benefit the skin.[/QUOTE]

What about other oils like sweet almond or coconut? I was hoping to find jojoba oil locally since I don't really want to order online, but no luck. What if the vitamin e oil has safflower oil as the the base - the oil I use is safflower mixed with 4500 IU vitamin e. Would this still block pores? I could see how straight vitamin e oil would clog pores - that stuff has the consistency of pancake syrup! Thanks.

Old 01-14-2004, 05:05 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=Kaia_27]What about other oils like sweet almond or coconut? I was hoping to find jojoba oil locally since I don't really want to order online, but no luck. What if the vitamin e oil has safflower oil as the the base - the oil I use is safflower mixed with 4500 IU vitamin e. Would this still block pores? I could see how straight vitamin e oil would clog pores - that stuff has the consistency of pancake syrup! Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The molecular structure of safflower oil is not small enough to penetrate the skins pores. Only jojoba oil has those qualities - if you use vitamin E and safflower oil, it will not penetrate to the underlying tissues and will only sit on the surface of your skin.

Sweet almond oil also has a large molecule as does coconut oil - they are considered 'surfectants' as the molecules are much too large to penetrate into the pores on their own. You MUST use the jojoba oil in the mixture for the oils to do your skin any good.

Try looking in your local health food store or a 'vitamin' store such as GNC for the jojoba oil.

Closed Thread