It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2003, 05:39 PM   #1

siren3 HB User
Seborrheic dermatitis on face: what are symptoms?

Sorry I have so many questions on this board! I was wondering, if you have seborrheic dermatitis on your face, could you tell me what it looks and feels like, please? I do have a little on the front part of my scalp line that I try to keep under control with dandruff shampoo, so I do know what it looks like there. But I recently was using some different products on my face, a couple were very drying. My face is usually a little oily, though now it is completely dried out and peeling, even after discontinuing using the products. I do not know if I could have triggered seborrheia (sp?) on my face or if it's just dried out skin combined with the heater in my house making it worse. If it's dried out, then I know what to do (thanks to the help I received here), but if it's seborrheia, how do I know for sure, and what would I do for that? Thanks for any help you can give.

p.s. If you happened to notice one of my other posts, I did just use apple cider vinegar on my face, because I read that it's good for dry peeling skin and balancing the pH level, but I accidently used it full strength, which was a big mistake! Anyway, I've heard that people use this for seborrheia, too.

The Following User Says Thank You to siren3 For This Useful Post:
bklaley (03-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2004, 03:54 AM   #2

karin54 HB User
Re: Seborrheic dermatitis on face: what are symptoms?

I have seb derm. It is flakey or scaly skin. It is in the area of the oil glands of your face, which is over your eyes, on your chin, etc. The oil glands are overactive, and a fungus develops. Flaking can also be around the nose, and in the creases down to your mouth. I went to see a derm. He put me on ketezonale cream 2%. That seemed to make it subside somewhat. I still have bad outbreaks occaisionally, and I have a stronger steroid cream for that (but it causes thinning of the skin, so I try to avoid it).

I am in the middle of having a bad break out of it, and I think I caused it. My skin was very flakey, and I decided to use dandruff shampoo. I had done this before. But my skin was warm from taking a bath, and my pores were very open. I left the shampoo on too long. Now I have been flaking very badly for 5 days.

If there is any body else out there with home remedies, I would love to hear them. I am also afraid of moistuizers, because most of them contain oil, which can worsen the symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2004, 12:35 PM   #3

siren3 HB User

Hey, thanks a lot for replying. I've since read much more about this and know a little more now. The part that sorta freaks me out is thinking that it is a fungus, that just grosses me out , hehe. I do think it can be cured with a really healthy diet, as I think almost everything can be cured with a complete overhall of the diet, as well as adding herbs and other supplements. I also suspect it could have a lot to do with a sluggish liver, the liver is connected to almost every skin disorder. This is just my own feelings, although a lot of people say seborrhea never goes away for good, but I don't think like that about anything, I believe that everything has a cure, especially this stuff. The reason I think a much healthier diet will help this, is because I've read that people who have diseases that lower their immunity, such as AIDS, etc, get seborrhea very easily. And besides, when babies get it (called "cradle cap"), it usually goes away in time. I do believe a compromised immunity system can trigger it. And if anybody's immunity is compromised, then a much healthier way of eating is definitely needed and is beneficial, or also there may be some other underlying problem that only a doctor can help with.

I think overdrying the area can make it worse. My face is not dried out anymore, but I think overdrying it might have triggered a little seborrhea there in the first place. I still peel a tiny bit in one or two small places sometimes, but I have been using apple cider vinegar, diluted with water, and it helps a lot, usually there's no peeling at all on my face anymore. I don't have much of a problem on my face, though, it's more of a problem on the front of my hair line, in just one or two tiny places, but nothing major, and apple cider vinegar has helped there, too, if I keep it up. I'm working on my diet mostly, the best I can manage for now. I think sugar is especially bad for this kind of thing, and anything else that's toxic on the liver. I believe that I have past liver damage, myself, from an acetaminophen overdose as a teenager, so helping my liver is one thing I'm going to be working on. I think one of the best things for the face is to use a very gentle cleanser, and then apply the apple cider vinegar diluted with water all over, and then definitely use a moisturizer, because drying the skin out will only trigger more oil to be produced (but the vinegar leaves it very soft and pH balanced, not dry at all), I still use moisturizer or it will get worse for me. I'm dying to try jojoba oil soon, but I haven't gotten a chance to find it yet, I heard it's great. The cleanser I'm using now is Oil of Olay Gentle foaming face wash for sensitive skin, and I'm using the Oil of Olay moisturizer for sensitive skin, they seem to be pretty good, they have aloe and chamomile, and are very gentle, but the cleanser still cleans my makeup, so that's good. I also stopped using dandruff shampoo on my hair, eventhough it seemed to help the scalp, but it's such a harsh shampoo for the hair, I'm looking for something more natural, might try Aussie or something, maybe I will still use the dandruff shampoo every once in a while. I know that it gets worse on my scalp when I take more than two days between washes, which I try not to do. I actually think that is one reason it started up in the first place a few years ago, because I went a whole week one summer without washing my hair (that was very unlike me to do so, though), and that's when it started, I guess it was oil overload!

Sorry I typed a lot, just wanted to share my thoughts about this stuff. I hope it gets better for you soon!!

Last edited by siren3; 01-01-2004 at 12:38 PM.

Old 01-01-2004, 08:28 PM   #4
(female)

candycake HB User

[QUOTE=siren3]Hey, thanks a lot for replying. I've since read much more about this and know a little more now. The part that sorta freaks me out is thinking that it is a fungus, that just grosses me out , hehe. I do think it can be cured with a really healthy diet, as I think almost everything can be cured with a complete overhall of the diet, as well as adding herbs and other supplements. I also suspect it could have a lot to do with a sluggish liver, the liver is connected to almost every skin disorder. This is just my own feelings, although a lot of people say seborrhea never goes away for good, but I don't think like that about anything, I believe that everything has a cure, especially this stuff. The reason I think a much healthier diet will help this, is because I've read that people who have diseases that lower their immunity, such as AIDS, etc, get seborrhea very easily. And besides, when babies get it (called "cradle cap"), it usually goes away in time. I do believe a compromised immunity system can trigger it. And if anybody's immunity is compromised, then a much healthier way of eating is definitely needed and is beneficial, or also there may be some other underlying problem that only a doctor can help with.

I think overdrying the area can make it worse. My face is not dried out anymore, but I think overdrying it might have triggered a little seborrhea there in the first place. I still peel a tiny bit in one or two small places sometimes, but I have been using apple cider vinegar, diluted with water, and it helps a lot, usually there's no peeling at all on my face anymore. I don't have much of a problem on my face, though, it's more of a problem on the front of my hair line, in just one or two tiny places, but nothing major, and apple cider vinegar has helped there, too, if I keep it up. I'm working on my diet mostly, the best I can manage for now. I think sugar is especially bad for this kind of thing, and anything else that's toxic on the liver. I believe that I have past liver damage, myself, from an acetaminophen overdose as a teenager, so helping my liver is one thing I'm going to be working on. I think one of the best things for the face is to use a very gentle cleanser, and then apply the apple cider vinegar diluted with water all over, and then definitely use a moisturizer, because drying the skin out will only trigger more oil to be produced (but the vinegar leaves it very soft and pH balanced, not dry at all), I still use moisturizer or it will get worse for me. I'm dying to try jojoba oil soon, but I haven't gotten a chance to find it yet, I heard it's great. The cleanser I'm using now is Oil of Olay Gentle foaming face wash for sensitive skin, and I'm using the Oil of Olay moisturizer for sensitive skin, they seem to be pretty good, they have aloe and chamomile, and are very gentle, but the cleanser still cleans my makeup, so that's good. I also stopped using dandruff shampoo on my hair, eventhough it seemed to help the scalp, but it's such a harsh shampoo for the hair, I'm looking for something more natural, might try Aussie or something, maybe I will still use the dandruff shampoo every once in a while. I know that it gets worse on my scalp when I take more than two days between washes, which I try not to do. I actually think that is one reason it started up in the first place a few years ago, because I went a whole week one summer without washing my hair (that was very unlike me to do so, though), and that's when it started, I guess it was oil overload!

Sorry I typed a lot, just wanted to share my thoughts about this stuff. I hope it gets better for you soon!! [/QUOTE]
I dont have the dermetitis on my face but my scalp was horrible.I started using nioxin cleanser and scalp therapy over a week ago and it seems to have cleared it up.I had been using Nizoral every 2-3 days.I started using Nioxin for hair loss.So far my scalp clearing up is just a fantastic plus.Im crossing my fingers for it to last.Anyway,I read somewhere that you can use nioxin on your face and body too.Maybe you could try it.

Old 01-03-2004, 01:37 PM   #5
(female)

Missy25 HB User
Angry Re: Seborrheic dermatitis on face: what are symptoms?

I suffer fron seboreic dermatitis as well with other skin conditions like acne, roscea and oily skin. I keep the dematitis under control by shampoing my hair twice a week with Nizoral shampoo they seel it over the counter and washing my face with Plexion cleanser although lately its not doing much I guess maybe I've become immune to it using for so long but it does control my problems and it doenst dry out my face or leaves it flaky. If I dont wash my hair for a week my scalp gets oily and very itchy my hair also gets oily and limp and my face starts getting rashy red . So its a matter of keeping it under control because there still no cure for this. It depresses me but what can I do just deal with it and control it. So keep your scalp clean and wash your face with a gentle cleanser that wont dry out your skin. Good Luck

Last edited by Missy25; 01-03-2004 at 01:40 PM.

Old 01-05-2004, 06:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Wow, just reading this thread a few days ago has helped me figure out what was wrong with my facial skin and solve the problems as well. (For now anyway).
I've had a rash on my forehead for 15 months now. Last Feb. I was on oral antifungals for a vag. yeast infection, and my mysterious rash cleared up. When I told my GYN, he said then it had to be some kind of yeast rash. It stayed away for a while, and then a few months ago it came back, and it was even worse. It had a thick scaly build up all over the rash, like whitish lace or something. Then just recently, it was spreading around a little bit, around my nose and temples! I was totally freaking out, and getting very depressed over this. I tried every cream, ointment, etc., even the strongest steroid cream that was leftover from another problem. Nothing helped even slightly. I used a buff puff to try to exfoilate it, to no avail. Read this thread the other day, and read what one of you said about the fungus connection, (yes, eewww gross!). So I already had some Nizoral shampoo, (which I never used, don't like the drying effect, but it's ok if you use a good conditioner afterwards) and I washed my hair, (oh yeah, it was also on my scalp real bad, around the hairline the worst) and I washed my hair 2 X with it. Really massaged it in well, and left it on for a few min. each time. I also put it on my face where I had the flaky stuff, leaving that on for a few min. as well. Well, got out and dried up and could not believe it WAS GONE!!!!! If I have to use this 1 or 2 times a week this is fine with me!! I am thrilled about this!! Also want to mention, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid last year, and I'm sure for me anyway, that had everything to do with me getting this, as it weakens your immune system, like one of you stated.
So,[B] THANK YOU,THANK YOU, THANK YOU[/B], you guys are better than my crappy Dr's, the last one my endocrinologist who said, "It's probably stress!" I'll let her know I found my solution from some women on a message list on the Internet!!!
Thanks you guys....
DEDA

Old 01-06-2004, 04:35 PM   #7

siren3 HB User

[QUOTE=Deda]Wow, just reading this thread a few days ago has helped me figure out what was wrong with my facial skin and solve the problems as well. (For now anyway).
I've had a rash on my forehead for 15 months now. Last Feb. I was on oral antifungals for a vag. yeast infection, and my mysterious rash cleared up. When I told my GYN, he said then it had to be some kind of yeast rash. It stayed away for a while, and then a few months ago it came back, and it was even worse. It had a thick scaly build up all over the rash, like whitish lace or something. Then just recently, it was spreading around a little bit, around my nose and temples! I was totally freaking out, and getting very depressed over this. I tried every cream, ointment, etc., even the strongest steroid cream that was leftover from another problem. Nothing helped even slightly. I used a buff puff to try to exfoilate it, to no avail. Read this thread the other day, and read what one of you said about the fungus connection, (yes, eewww gross!). So I already had some Nizoral shampoo, (which I never used, don't like the drying effect, but it's ok if you use a good conditioner afterwards) and I washed my hair, (oh yeah, it was also on my scalp real bad, around the hairline the worst) and I washed my hair 2 X with it. Really massaged it in well, and left it on for a few min. each time. I also put it on my face where I had the flaky stuff, leaving that on for a few min. as well. Well, got out and dried up and could not believe it WAS GONE!!!!! If I have to use this 1 or 2 times a week this is fine with me!! I am thrilled about this!! Also want to mention, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid last year, and I'm sure for me anyway, that had everything to do with me getting this, as it weakens your immune system, like one of you stated.
So,[B] THANK YOU,THANK YOU, THANK YOU[/B], you guys are better than my crappy Dr's, the last one my endocrinologist who said, "It's probably stress!" I'll let her know I found my solution from some women on a message list on the Internet!!!
Thanks you guys....
DEDA[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's great!. I'm really glad you got some relief, I hope someday it will eventually clear up for good for you. I'm sure it will in time!

Old 01-06-2004, 06:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Thank you Siren, I really appreciate this info you guys put out here.

Do you happen to know if you can get this resolved [I]for [/I][I] good?[/I] And I [I]DO[/I] think the winter weather/heater running all the time aggravates it, as I have had the junk on my scalp in prior winters, which would always start getting better as the weather warmed up, and the heater was run less. Also, have you ever heard if being exposed to sunshine helps this? And whoever said the oils in their face dried up [I]wasn't[/I] kidding either! Hope it will come back. I know I complained about my oily skin when I was younger, but come on, it's good to have [I]some [/I] oil on your face, you know?
Thank you!
DEDA

Last edited by Deda; 01-06-2004 at 06:40 PM.

Old 09-17-2005, 05:45 PM   #9
(male)

CeLebRiTy HB User

hi all
i have this illness too
Seboreic Dermatitis...
My doctor gave me the liquid called "BETNOVATE", Glaxo Smith Kline's product. It's a liquid thing.
It is only for hair part.
You use it once a day, if it is too much in your hair. You use it on your hair, you wait 15 minutes. Then wash your hair with shampoo. YOU MUST WASH IT... After seeing the result(i think it will take 2-3 days), you may use it once in 4-5 days.When the illness leaves your head, you must go on using it at least once in 4-5 days. The illness never comes back. If you do, you can use your hair in a very good condition.No problem accurs... But if you stop using it, they come again unfortunately. All i can say, when there is not a real cure, this is perfect. I'm so happy now, there is nothing on my head But go to your doctor before using this product...

Old 09-30-2005, 02:13 AM   #10
(female)

tangerine bear HB User

Hi, I am new here and I have had this for years. I have had this on my scalp of course and also around my nose. It had gotten much worse recently, when I was having anxiety issues, which seems strange. My primary care doc gave me some elidel to try on it, and it cleared it up. I also have rosacea, and it had gotten much worse lately, with bad red bumps. The elidel did nothing for that at all, and the metrogel wasn't working at all either, but I read somewhere that aloe vera was in a rosacea product and I added aloe vera gel twice a day and it cleared up within 4 days! I also use the Nioxin now rather than the Nizoral on my hair. Although the Nizoral would clear up my scalp problems very well, the seborrheic dermatitis on my face would always get worse as soon as my scalp would clear up. With the Nioxin, it doesn't seem to cause that. I'm still trying to figure all this out, but from reading this board, it seems that maybe I'm on the right track so far.

Last edited by tangerine bear; 09-30-2005 at 06:30 AM.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:11 AM   #11
(male)

jerbear HB User

Hi all
How can I tell the difference between sebborheic dermatitis or acne rosacea? I've been treating my self for seb derm but my foolish doc says it's acne rosacea! I'm getting fed up with it is all I'll say. My nose and cheeks under the eyes and in my beard area gets flaky, dry and then turns red after I shower. I was told it's seb derm. My skin gets really flaky like I said, mostly in the hair follicles but there is the 2 spots under my eyes and my nose that have red patches after the skin flakes off. Is there anything, like a moisturizer, that would be safe, non irritant, for the flaking part at least? I almost want to hide every day and I'm 46 yrs old!! I use ZNP soap once a week or so, and have some jojoba oil I put on mildly that seems to help calm some, but like I said, the areas get really red after I shower mostly. Any thoughts? Thanks

Old 02-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User

Hi! I have seborrea behind my ears! It's pretty gross.When it is very bad, it will all of a sudden, and without no warning, start to "bleed" for lack of a better word....down the sides of my neck,from my skin(behind the ears).I sometimes do get blood mixed in with the "pus" that comes with it. It has been known to get worse(for me) if I am stressed out,or I am in a humid or hot climate..etc. The stuff comes out of cracks in the skin or "fissures" behind the ears.
My doctor just kept saying, Put on A&D Ointment...or better yet, Hydrocortisone cream...which actually reallt works!(better in fact)
its a type of excema , a good friend of mine who has had suffered from that since her childhood.
I think that it also has affected me by way from certain shampoos, or too many showers, and or getting into my pierced ears and infecting them, so that they start to close up...(this happens like twice a year to me...although, I think lately it has only (luckily) been only once a year)
Just remember to keep at eye on those skin parts...and try the hydrocortisone cream...it works,and if you do it every day..or twice a day...you can go for days with out using the cream, and then it begins it's "cycle" all over again...but, sometimes you might stay "dry" for awhile!
Mine tends to flake off,it looks like dried yellow/whitish flakey dough crumbs...sorry, I know that sounds disgusting...but, that is exactly what mine looks like!

Just try not to get too stressed out,and watch where you are headed "heat versus, coolness!"

That is all!

nightowl2

Old 02-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #13
(female)

candykake HB User

I had horrible seberea(can't spell) on my scalp.Dr Weill recomended evening primrose oil.I didn't think there was any way that would work but it actually does. It took about 2 wks of taking 500 mg capsules 2x a day for it to totally go away.I couldnt believe it.Now i take 1 1000mg capsule a day and thats it.If i forget to take it for a few days it starts to come back so i guess it's something that I will always have to take. I dont have it on my face but it wouldn't surprize me if it would work for that.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:36 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User

For me the symtoms are pinkness around my nostrils as well as whiteheads. In the past few months i have developed burning around my upper lip which has caused some rednesses. I wish taking primrose oil would do the trick i take 3000mg's of fish oil and primrose oil a day, as well as 3-4 teaspoons of pure EPA/DHA oil.
I recently started taking antibiotics hopefully i can start to feel human.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #15
(female)

candykake HB User

Have you tried the Nioxin on your face? I think someone else mentioned it . It works well on my scalp but ijust prefer the EPO.

Closed Thread