It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2003, 09:01 PM   #1

Svikki HB User
Question Fifth or Slap desease?

Hi ya'll, I think that this might be what I have. I am 52 and have this rash that comes and goes and looks like lace. It has also started showing up on my face now. I have had it for a couple of weeks. Has anyone else had this that is not a child. My niece had this a few weeks ago. But I am told that it is different for adult. Might last longer? Anything anyone can tell me would be a help. Knowing that this is something that will go away soon is making this a little easier to take but now someone told me that adults can have it for 6 months not just the 3 weeks like kids have it. Help!!! Thanks Vicki

Old 12-18-2003, 06:09 PM   #2

Svikki HB User
Re: Fifth or Slap desease?

hi again, my guess is that none of you have had this fifth disease? oh well it was worth a shot. I just hope that I get over it soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2003, 08:21 PM   #3
(female)

bluebird615 HB User

Hi! I can't tell you from experience as an adult, but I did have Fifth disease as a child. I do know a little about it though. Children are usually the ones that get it. There is not any treatment for it, you just have to rest and let it take its course. The only people that there is usually high risk possibilities for, are pregnant women and people who have really bad immune systems or disorders. If you do have an impaired immune system or some type of blood disorder than I would see a doctor to make sure you don't get any complications, but other than that it's just really an annoyance for several weeks. The good thing though, is that once you get it, you can never get it again. There are other conditions that can present itself like fifth disease, but if your niece had it, than I think it's a safe bet that it is, because it's contagious.

Old 12-26-2003, 01:23 PM   #4

Emily123 HB User

Both my children had this last spring and then I got it . I was told once you have it you will never have it again. It is very contagious. My girls had fever for a day or two thhen they had the lace rash for a month . The rash also would fade then if they got hot it would flare up. The rash itself is not itchy. I also had the fever and rash but my joints also hurt me bad. My knees and ankles were swollen. The doc said it can cause this in adults but usually goes away.
You will be okay. Just takes time to pass. There is no treatment.
It took me 2 months to see improvement I ahve heard of it taking longer though.
Good Luck.

Last edited by Emily123; 12-26-2003 at 01:25 PM.

Old 01-02-2004, 05:52 AM   #5

sadieho HB User

Hi all
"fifth disease" is also known as "the fifth identified disease in the measles family" Both my children had it & I was not sure what type of "disease" it was. Our doctor informed me of the measles diagnosis. Just something I thought I would pass along.
Sadie

Old 01-10-2004, 05:51 PM   #6

Svikki HB User

Well now i am not sure if that is what I have or not. My doctor is saying it could also be Winter Itch. Anyone got an idea on this one. I do get itch and brake out when I get too warm. And lotion does seem to help. But I think that this also happens with fifth disease too..I am sooo confussed and sooo tired of this itching and rash and sometimes hives. Thanks for the replies. Vicki

Closed Thread