It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2004, 09:06 PM   #1

blank HB User
1 wart...5 years and counting

i just realized i've had a wart on my hand for over 5 years.

it's on one of my nuckles, where my hand connects to my pinky.

it's wierd, because it used to look like a really nasty wart. it used to split open all the time, and bleed...etc. but now, it's flat, and looks more like scar tissue than a wart. but it's still hard (a flat hard).

it's about the size of a bean...except it's flat.

i've probably tried freezing it off 5-8 times. about 4 times at the doctor...and a number of times by myself. i've used all the grocery store ones (the acid stripes, or glue sorta stuff), for months on end. nothing doing. i've heard of duct tape, but that's not really an option for the back of my hand.

i've also used Aldara on it (i think it's for genital warts), for a number of months. and i'm currently trying that again. (it's flippin' extensive)

i have some other ones too. a little group on my palm (all small, whole group is about the size of a quarter), one on each of two other knuckles (small). and a few tiny ones here and there

i used to have a bunch more...and i did the same thing. tried everything. grocery store products, getting them frozen off. but nothing work. they'd just sort of go away at random times.

do i have any options?

i've heard that they're just viruses. why don't they make medication for them? lol.

thanks.

Old 02-08-2004, 04:21 PM   #2

pooh5474 HB User
Re: 1 wart...5 years and counting

I believe that they have some sort of root to them that's probably why the over the counter stuff is only temporary relief. My 6 yr old son just had one come out on his inner knee area that I am taking him to a dermatologist for. I figure have someone that knows what they're doing remove it, and considering his age...I really want to know he won't get an infection by god forbid having him pick at it. I would say if you are having pain from them or they are in a bad area like my son's where you risk having it "jarred" where it would end up bleeding to just have it removed. I used to believe the old myth about getting warts from playing with frogs but my son's never even touched one lol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2004, 06:10 PM   #3

blank HB User

that's the thing though...

i've been to the doctor's for it at least 3 times. they freeze it with (i forget the name)...it's like dry ice, but liquid because it's so cold. then it turns into a blister, and it gets ripped off because it's on my knuckle...and then it takes a month or so to heal. and when it does....it seems like it's almost bigger than before.

Old 02-16-2004, 11:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

It's liquid nitrogen that they use at the doctors to freeze off warts. My husband had one for about 10 years on his hand. The freezing did not work for him. The thing that ended up working was a prescription from the doctor of something like compound W. It actually had the same active ingredient as compound W but wasn't as strong. I don't know why they would prescribe something that wasn't as strong but it worked. I'll give you a tip as to what to do though. He soaked his hand in water every day for about 10 minutes before he put the stuff on. He would peal off as much of the dead skin as he could and then apply the medication. It took a couple month of doing this every day and just keep doing it even if it looks like it is gone that way it can get down to the root. Whenever he would have it frozen at the doctor the root would shift to a little bit different spot like it was trying to get away it was weird. This long slow process finally worked and it's been years now since it has been gone.

Old 02-17-2004, 12:16 PM   #5

blank HB User

alright, thanks...i'll see what i can get.

i'm not sure it's even a wart anymore. it looks more like scar tissue...but it's not. very funky.

[QUOTE=Kari7171]It's liquid nitrogen that they use at the doctors to freeze off warts. My husband had one for about 10 years on his hand. The freezing did not work for him. The thing that ended up working was a prescription from the doctor of something like compound W. It actually had the same active ingredient as compound W but wasn't as strong. I don't know why they would prescribe something that wasn't as strong but it worked. I'll give you a tip as to what to do though. He soaked his hand in water every day for about 10 minutes before he put the stuff on. He would peal off as much of the dead skin as he could and then apply the medication. It took a couple month of doing this every day and just keep doing it even if it looks like it is gone that way it can get down to the root. Whenever he would have it frozen at the doctor the root would shift to a little bit different spot like it was trying to get away it was weird. This long slow process finally worked and it's been years now since it has been gone.[/QUOTE]

Old 02-17-2004, 04:56 PM   #6

pooh5474 HB User

Just to update you, had my 6 year old son to the dermatologist today....his was reddish in color...they ended up removing it by cutting it off and then the dug down slightly deeper just to clean it all out. They send they are sending out for a pathology report which could take up to two weeks. They are leaning towards it being an Inflammed wart. I didn't know they could get inflammed, but I guess that would explain why it had all the charactaristics of a wart but was reddish in color. I asked about the freezing thing, but they felt that actually removing it and cleaning in there was the better route to go. Maybe yours is inflammed also just from having tried so many things so many times. My recommendation is find a GOOD dermatologist and have it removed and cleaned out. If you were in Pennsylvania I could give you the name of the one I was at w/my son today lol...he was excellent and very thorough.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:23 AM   #7

blank HB User

thanks for the follow-up.

i knew they could do laser treatment and medication...but i didn't know they were willing to go in with a knife and cut the thing out (which i have tried on other ones with no success).

if this aldara stuff doesn't work after a few months, i guess that will be the route i'll need to go.

thanks.

Old 03-19-2004, 03:15 AM   #8

The Cotton Cat HB User

I’ve suffered from this problem since the age of 12 (I’m now 48!) and have undergone many, many painful and unsuccessful treatments, all to no avail. They’ve been burnt off, frozen off and had various herbal and homeopathic remedies applied, and even had spells cast over them…and I all but gave up until I was working with some Bulgarian emegreés in Turkey. On seeing the nasty outcrop on my forearm he told me of the traditional method used in the village he came from.
Take a firm onion, peel it and remove the root to allow the leaves to separate, and place in a storage jar and cover with red wine vinegar for two days. Then apply a leaf of onion to the affected area covering the warts completely and bind with plastic kitchen film to stop air reaching the warts. Then bind tightly with a standard stretch bandage to hold in place. Repeat every four hours for 3-4 days (at night leave the onion in place). As the wart slowly pickles and dies off (the wart will go white to start with and may itch a bit), but after time it will separate from the surrounding skin until such time that you can take a pair of tweezers and gently tug at it. If it resists, continue the treatment, but if it is completely dead you will find that wart, and it’s root, will slide out easily. For fingers and toes only apply enough onion to cover the wart and use two elastaplasts to cover it, to cover the whole finger will result in a very painful and wrinkled finger!!! Smelly and messy BUT it works!!!!

[QUOTE=blank]i just realized i've had a wart on my hand for over 5 years.

it's on one of my nuckles, where my hand connects to my pinky.

it's wierd, because it used to look like a really nasty wart. it used to split open all the time, and bleed...etc. but now, it's flat, and looks more like scar tissue than a wart. but it's still hard (a flat hard).

it's about the size of a bean...except it's flat.

i've probably tried freezing it off 5-8 times. about 4 times at the doctor...and a number of times by myself. i've used all the grocery store ones (the acid stripes, or glue sorta stuff), for months on end. nothing doing. i've heard of duct tape, but that's not really an option for the back of my hand.

i've also used Aldara on it (i think it's for genital warts), for a number of months. and i'm currently trying that again. (it's flippin' extensive)

i have some other ones too. a little group on my palm (all small, whole group is about the size of a quarter), one on each of two other knuckles (small). and a few tiny ones here and there

i used to have a bunch more...and i did the same thing. tried everything. grocery store products, getting them frozen off. but nothing work. they'd just sort of go away at random times.

do i have any options?

i've heard that they're just viruses. why don't they make medication for them? lol.

thanks.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-22-2004, 04:53 PM   #9

blank HB User

great! that's excellent to know.

how long is it supposed to be covered for? you said repeat every 4 hours. do you mean replace the onion every 4 hours? or go 4 hours with it on...4 hours off?

thanks.

Closed Thread