It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2004, 07:35 AM   #1

Myron123 HB User
Severe Itching, Rash, Brought on by weird things

Hello,

I will start from beginning. In 1998 I had strep throat in January, I was given some kind of penicilin. Then in Feb 98 I got it again, and gioven same medication. I went home, and hung out with my girlfriend for a bit and then noticed I was starting to itch. I went to the bathroom and started showering, because my skin was burning up. I noticed severe hives all over my body and I could not stop scratching. I was getting frantic, so I got dressed and went into the living room and my mother was over and I just flopped down on the couch. I found it very hard to see and my breathing was very weird. My brother was called over and drove me to the hospital where I was told I was taking a severe alergic reaction. They gave me shots of Benedryl and adrenaline. (they said I could have died if I left it go any longer). Anyways, I am also a severe Asmatic, and for about 2 months after this alergic reaction, I had no sympthoms of it. I could run, do whatever. Like I never had asthma. Well, after a couple of months, my asthma re-appeared and brought with it this rash. I don't have it all the time, but literally anything can bring it on. The Cold brings it on, the heat brings it on, the Shower, running, walking, asthma attacks, eating chips, sex, laughing, stress, etc. But the thing is, I can do these things sometimes, and nothing happends. I can run some days, and then run another day with totally different results. First I thought it may have been chocolate, and other foods I was eating a large amount of (I lov Chocolate ), but when I stopped 100% eating particular items, it had no effect. I thought it might have been my Asthma medication, but after stopping taking my medication for about a week (which resulted in living with asthma sympthoms), it had no effect. I tried changing my laundy soap, using lotions, etc...nothing. I went to the doctor in 2000, and she said it was probably something from the alergic reaction that has set this off. She said I have (I am not spelling this right, but it sounds like it is spelled here) Erticaria? And she told me to take a Benedryl from now on, once a day. I thought it was stupid due to it having drowsey side effects, but I did that for a week, and nothing aswell. Nothing seems to work, and there does not seem to be any real system to this rash. I have read throught the boards to find answers, but nobody seems to be having the same problem as me. These are my sympthoms:

- Severe rash over every part of my body, lots of hives.
- Every square inch of my body itches to the effect of a Musquito bite when I have this rash.
- It holds me back from doing things I want to do (before I had this, I was a very good basketball player, but can't stand the fact of having this rash infront of people).
- Very red blotches when I have rash.
- Confidence level dropped through the floor, I rarely leave my house.
- Burning hot, and when the rash goes away, I am very tired and have to lay down and sleep.
- it seems to relieve on my back when it is scratched for about 2-5 minutes. Hives stay, but does not seem to itch.

Can anyone PLEASE help me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2004, 08:48 AM   #2

Aaron00 HB User
Re: Severe Itching, Rash, Brought on by weird things

Last night I found the same kind of hives on my arms and down the sides of my stomach. Realy itchy and red. Also my lip feels a bit fat for some odd reason. I am still trying to figure it out myself. Its wierd though.

Old 01-24-2004, 11:05 AM   #3

Myron123 HB User

yeah, I get the lip thing too.... usually my upper one..

Old 01-26-2004, 06:49 PM   #4
(female)

gobbleduck HB User

Have you been to an allergist or have you had any allergy testing? I had a friend that had really weird random rashes and asthma-like symptoms. The rashes/asthma started out of the blue one day and became more and more frequent over time. She tried eliminating certain foods, changing her cosmetics/detergent/etc. and keeping a symptom diary, but they couldn't figure out the cause. The doctors were stumped, and she was miserable. Finally, she went to an allergist and it turned out she was allergic to wheat. Her regular doctor didn't think of it because she didn't have any of the intestinal symptoms common with wheat allergy and because wheat allergy is usually found in children (and true wheat allergy is really rare). Anyway, I'm not saying you have wheat allergy. It's just possible that you have a really uncommon allergy that only an allergist can uncover for you.

Old 01-30-2004, 04:52 AM   #5
(male)

Hogan Grimm HB User

Hello Myron123,

Well you can count me in on the hive thing. The proper way to spell what you have been diagnosed with is (Urticaria). I started getting hives/rashes about 4 years ago. It started out slowly at first, then as time went on it became worse.

Like you, a cause has not been found. I get them for no explainable reason,
sometimes all over, or sometimes in various places. They will disappear in one place only to reappear in another. Sometimes the hives will be small red bumps, or very large whelts.

When you have had hives for a long period of time, and from what you posted you have, the diagnoses becomes what is called (chronic idiopathic urticaria). I have had every test done under the sun, with the exception of a few, and in my case a cause has not been found either. My life has become a living nightmare because of this.

There is no cure for urticaria, only treatments, and the sad fact is in the US the is not much research being done to find a cure. I have done a great deal of research on this condition, due to the fact that doctors, allergists included don't seem to know very much that can help.

I just got plain tired of waiting around for answers. I will post a lot of my research here if you are interested. It really helps to understand more about it especialy when you see your doctor because then they can't lie to you.

Hogan Grimm

Old 01-31-2004, 11:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User
Post Re: Severe Itching, Rash, Brought on by weird things

Hi Myron123, if the meds are causing you to be drowsy n sleepy most of the time, you should try the non-sedative ones, 2nd generation. If you have acute urticaria, usually the cause could be found. However if you have chronic urticaria, the cause is usually not found. The doctors won't order/do test unless neccessary and it depends what the patients thinks too. I think you should go get the hives checked out by an allergist/dermatologist. Since you had a severe allergic reaction before, I think you should ask the allergist/dermatologist if you need an epi-pen in case you come close to anaphylaxis again. There is also physical urticaria which can be caused by heat, cold, sun, pressure, or exercise... and there are tests that can be done to determine if you have physical urticaria. But esp with cold urticaria(cold), sometimes a negative test can happen on someone with cold urt, like in my case. The test that is usually done is the 'ice-cube' test, but sometimes only a total submerge in cold water or air will bring on a reaction(positive result).
Btw Hogan Grimm, what tests have you done? I agree that even doctors or dermatologist don't really know alot about urticaria eventhough some have heard about it. Hope more research could be done as this condition is affecting lifestyles.

Old 02-07-2004, 04:27 AM   #7
(male)

Hogan Grimm HB User

Hello CheerAngel,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Believe me I know fully how just how much life style is affected by urticaria, and not only lifestyles, just plain everyday living.
As for the tests, I have had numerous blood tests, all comming back negative for any reason why this is happening.

I have had an endoscopy to look at my colon, that didn't turn up anything.
I have had a CT scan to look at my internal organs, that didn't give any reason. I have been checked for diabetes, don't have that. I have had an aids test, don't have that. (Thank God)

What about you? What tests have you had if any? I would like to know.

Hogan Grimm

Old 02-08-2004, 01:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

Hi Hogan Grimm, yeah, urticaria can affect life very badly! It nearly destroyed my life at that time. I'm not sure what blood tests have I done, but I do know I had it done once only because the dermatologist said that the tests were of no use. I think they did the ANA test which was -ve.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:07 AM   #9
(male)

Hogan Grimm HB User

Hey CheerAngel,

You know, that just goes to show you just how little doctors care about their patients. He or she is giving up on trying to find a cause before enve getting started.

Just because a cause might not have been found in someone else doesn't mean it can't be found in you. I always say...... It is better to try and fail, then fail to try at all.

BTW what is ve?

Hogan Grimm

Old 02-08-2004, 04:42 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
Check ethylene glycol ether exposures, too

Boy, that does seem really odd.

We take our skin organ for granted don't we? When you are checking reactions to things, you might include what cleaning & maintenance products you use. Many have 2-butoxyethanol (aka ethylene glycol monobutyl ether) and when you have been around too much, it causes a rash. This rash can go away, and then when you get too much of any chemical in your system (even medications) it can signal your body that 'you had better stop that'

[url=http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/ingredients.htm]Use this chart[/url] to check for this chemical in things you could be using every day CAS #111-76-2 and for its compound form 112-34-5 Any concenration 5% & more is not safe for home use; maybe 2.5% on the complex version.

If you must use them ([url=http://www.wrppn.org/janitorial/tools/butoxy.htm]not recommended by EPA & CA study done[/url] ... avoid if possible) be sure to have ventilation equivalent to outdoors; and wear goggles and chemical retardant gloves.

Sounds like you had too much chemical exposure in the second shot you got. A friend of mine told me that long years ago her sister had an alergic reaction to penicillin. When she told her doctor he ignored her complaint and gave her another shot of it; the family believes it caused her to have lupus & she was ill ever since then.

Old 02-08-2004, 08:37 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User
Wink Re: Severe Itching, Rash, Brought on by weird things

Hi Hogan, -ve means negative and +ve means positive.

Old 03-09-2004, 07:06 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

DGO1223 HB User

Just a thought here; sometimes this kind of reaction can be a precursor to an auto-immune disorder, of which there are several, some not so good.

Do a search on it and see if any of it may fit you.

Donna

Old 03-10-2004, 07:54 PM   #13

Genabeena HB User

Yes! This is what I have really been looking for. I originally registered in this chat group because I thought that there had to be others with this problem. I have Chronic Ideopathic Angioedemic Urticaria also. The Angioedema part of it means that the hives are accompanied by swelling or, as my doctor puts it, it is a deeper hive. I get them everywhere EVERYWHERE and it is a nightmare. For us some good news may be that, as my docs have told me, cases of this condition are on the rise, therefore maybe we will start to see more being done about it.

My allergy and immunologist says that the Urticaria tends to burn itself out, but I hear of cases that go on for months, or three years, five years, or even ten. He says that the only course of action is to try to find a way to get it under control. I started out with one antihistamine, then we tried another, then we tried them both together, then we added a couple more, I am currently supposed to be taking four to five different kinds of antihistamines, but I have let my supplies run out. For one thing, it's too expensive, even with insurance. For another, it wasn't doing sqwat to help me.

Before the antihistamines, I had taken a couple of short courses of steroids to try to knock the Urticaria out of my system. It was heaven to have relief from the symptoms during that time, but I refuse to stay on steriods for long term. From what I understand they can cause all kinds of problems over time.

Since I recently stopped breast-feeding, I plan to go see my allergy/immunologist again and see if he has any different treatments I can try. He says that there is actually a lot that can be done to treat the symptoms. One thing in particular I want to ask him about is the possibility of a hormonal imbalance. I know my thyriod is normal, but I wonder if my estrogen and progesterone were checked. It could be any one of a million things for all I know. I'll let you know if I find anything out. Hopefully, anyone else who has any clues or ideas of anything else that it could be will post them.

By the way, whomever it was who said there lips were swollen, that sounds like angioedema. It is potentially dangerous if the swelling spreads to your throat and constricts your breathing. I hope you are seeing a doctor right away for that. If you start to feel like you are having trouble breathing, don't wait around- go to the emergency room. Either way, go to your GP and tell them you think you have Urticaria with Angioedema and need a referral to an allergist/immunologist. If it's an allergy, then it will be an acute case that will happen only when you come in contact with the allergen. If it lasts more than 6 weeks, then it is considered chronic- in which case, you may be in it for the long haul like the rest of us.

Old 03-10-2004, 08:16 PM   #14

Genabeena HB User

One more quick note- my immunologist does think that this is a sort of malfunction of my immune system and definately not an allergy. Chronic cases are generally not thought to be allergy related at all (as I've gathered from my research). The way he explained it was that the hives are one of the body's natural defenses against illness, and although it can't be explained why this has happened, my immune system somehow went into overdrive and just keeps misfiring again and again.

Old 03-13-2004, 05:13 AM   #15

warmheart HB User

[QUOTE=Genabeena]One more quick note- my immunologist does think that this is a sort of malfunction of my immune system and definately not an allergy. Chronic cases are generally not thought to be allergy related at all (as I've gathered from my research). The way he explained it was that the hives are one of the body's natural defenses against illness, and although it can't be explained why this has happened, my immune system somehow went into overdrive and just keeps misfiring again and again.[/QUOTE]

your immune system go down everyone has allergy,but they immune system keep it under control , I have been allergy pills since 1994 I still have swelling of the lips,eyes,on really bad days my whole face can change I don't look the same. I get haves from foods,pets, pillows,grass trees ect. take allegra 180 mg. a day .so take the allergy test and good luck

Closed Thread