HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Skin Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/skin-problems/)
-   -   Lips feel like they are on fire....HELP! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/skin-problems/151310-lips-feel-like-they-fire-help.html)

sarasota2004 02-19-2004 06:55 PM

Lips feel like they are on fire....HELP!

For over a month now I have had severe chapped lips!!!

I have to lube them up 1/4 inch thick with ........you name it...

vaseline
aquaphor
Lip Balm
Every lip medicine you can think of.

If moisture is not on there....even for a second, my lips begin to sting, are red, bulge out...as if someone tore the skin off and put a light bulb to them.

They hurt!

Each morning when I wake up, they are soo dry and FAT, as if a bee stung me.

Is this normal? I live in MA and it's extremely dry and cold here lately.........but enough is enough.........when is it going to go away!!!

surrealmeal 02-20-2004 03:05 AM

Re: Lips feel like they are on fire....HELP!

Are you drinking enough water? Moisturizing from the inside can be very important. Also be sure that the chapstick you wear during the day has a good SPF in it. Sometimes i forget to wear chapstick with sunscreen during the day and by night i'll look in the mirror and my lips are bright red, flakey and plumped up.

But if you're drinking enough water and using SPF chapstick then, man, i have no idea what could be causing it. Good luck and i hope you find a solution to help your lips get better. :)

fluffy-clouds 02-20-2004 01:03 PM

it could be exzma, it comes in many different forms. try seeing a chinese herb doctor. honestly it works!!

lu55 02-24-2004 01:43 AM

Hey, this happened to me in January. What started out as dry and chapped lips ended up burning and swollen. I went to a naturopath, because my regular MD couldn't see me quickly, and she said that I was possibly reacting to something in the new lipstick I was wearing. She gave me a licorice root extract balm, which cleared the problem up. And when I tried wearing regular chapstick, my lips burned again. I finally found one w/o lanolin and it worked. I have since tried several lipsticks from a health food store and so far so good. No drying and no burning. It did take about a month for the problem to clear up.

I mentioned this to a friend and she said she also had a reaction to her lipstick. Her symptoms were the same: drying and burning.

lhacker 02-27-2004 09:15 PM

I had a similar problem and found I was allergic to Sodium Benzoate. My lips would burn, get red swell, split and peel. I now read the labels and have not had a serious problem in many yeaqrs.

Sodium benzoate is a common preservative, it's in potato chips, root beer,even toothpaste.

DSanchi 03-02-2004 11:16 AM

Is there a whitish cracked line running through your lips? Are they scaly, flaky, burning and your mouth a pasty white? If so, I can relate.

I've had a similiar problem happen to me when I my body had a severe yeast (candida) overgrowth. Whoever tells you that Candida is a myth never had a yeast infection. Have you never seen a coated tongue? It's not a difficult theory to envision: our mucous membranes, i.e. mouth, colon, lips, genitals, eyes, etc. are all harborers of candida. But these organisms live for the most part in check by our immune systems. If we are run down, have a chronic infection/illness (like me) or have overloaded our bodies with processed foods especially sugar we can develop a yeast infection in any place. I have noticed that on occassion when I am very sick or have went off my diet, the yeast really affects my lips. They become swollen, burning and just feel horrible. Vaseline, chapstick and other emoilents may help the tight chapped feeling, but they won't take the burn away or actual heal the lips. All they do is coat the top layer of skin with a waxy film.

I found an herbal lip balm called: LIP RESCUE with Eco-harvest Tea tree Oil made by Desert Essence to be EXTREMELY healing. I really recommend this lip balm even if it's not a yeast problem. This particular balm is soothing and healing (my boyfriend loves it and he has no yeast problem)!

Do a search on it and I'm sure you'll find a place near you that carrys it. Aloe and tea tree are great antiseptics and natural healers.

Best of luck,
In good health,
Joy :wave:

adso 03-22-2004 05:39 PM

[QUOTE=DSanchi]Is there a whitish cracked line running through your lips? Are they scaly, flaky, burning and your mouth a pasty white? If so, I can relate.

I've had a similiar problem happen to me when I my body had a severe yeast (candida) overgrowth. Whoever tells you that Candida is a myth never had a yeast infection. Have you never seen a coated tongue? It's not a difficult theory to envision: our mucous membranes, i.e. mouth, colon, lips, genitals, eyes, etc. are all harborers of candida. But these organisms live for the most part in check by our immune systems. If we are run down, have a chronic infection/illness (like me) or have overloaded our bodies with processed foods especially sugar we can develop a yeast infection in any place. I have noticed that on occassion when I am very sick or have went off my diet, the yeast really affects my lips. They become swollen, burning and just feel horrible. Vaseline, chapstick and other emoilents may help the tight chapped feeling, but they won't take the burn away or actual heal the lips. All they do is coat the top layer of skin with a waxy film.

I found an herbal lip balm called: LIP RESCUE with Eco-harvest Tea tree Oil made by Desert Essence to be EXTREMELY healing. I really recommend this lip balm even if it's not a yeast problem. This particular balm is soothing and healing (my boyfriend loves it and he has no yeast problem)!

Do a search on it and I'm sure you'll find a place near you that carrys it. Aloe and tea tree are great antiseptics and natural healers.

Best of luck,
In good health,
Joy :wave:[/QUOTE]

I can relate to what Joy is talking about, even though I drink water constantly, and use chapstick (or similar) each night/morning. I always wake up with cracked lips, a white line as she says and an awful taste in my mouth+ a coating. I believe it to be Candida, however I dont yet know how to cure this, the information on the web seems very in-conclusive. If you get unbanned Joy, id like to hear what you have found :)

As for the burning lips, im not convinced this is Candida, Candida doesnt leave the lips red-raw. It can cause a reaction that will feel like your lips tingle, and then they will blow up big & hard, which is quite painful. But this is related to a skin-reaction from the Hives that Candida can induce.

kallikody 11-27-2005 11:56 AM

[QUOTE=sarasota2004]For over a month now I have had severe chapped lips!!!

I have to lube them up 1/4 inch thick with ........you name it...

vaseline
aquaphor
Lip Balm
Every lip medicine you can think of.

If moisture is not on there....even for a second, my lips begin to sting, are red, bulge out...as if someone tore the skin off and put a light bulb to them.

They hurt!

Each morning when I wake up, they are soo dry and FAT, as if a bee stung me.

Is this normal? I live in MA and it's extremely dry and cold here lately.........but enough is enough.........when is it going to go away!!![/QUOTE]
Hi, I am a new member to this site. I have been searching the web for help with my lips. If you are still a member here and get this message - please let me know if you were able to solve your lip problem. I have never had allergies in my life - I am 32. For the past 6 weeks my lips have been so sore. They are worst in the morning... very swollen, red, itchy and burning. They look like they are burned. I have tried everything - my doctor prescribed Allegra, but that hasn't helped. Any ideas? Thank you!

gardenandcats 11-27-2005 12:24 PM

Try to run a humdifer in your bedroom at night alone with other suggestions all ready given.

summerblue 11-27-2005 06:15 PM

Hi [B] {removed} [/B] I had chapped lips and they felt like they were on fire. They were not red or swollen though. My tongue also felt as though I had scalded it. I haven't been to a doctor yet, but it sounds to me from what I read, that that is what I have. Good luck

kallikody 11-28-2005 09:44 AM

Thanks for the feedback! I will definately try a humidifier along with everything else. It is only my lips - - nothing on my tongue or inside my mouth. My lips are very swollen, red and burning. They are not cracked or chapped. All around the lips they do appear to be burned?? I tried cold compressions yesterday and that helped. I also just purchased Abreva (for cold sores and fever blisters) and it is helping the burning sensation subside. The Abreva has not helped the swelling. I called my doctor this morning to tell him that the Rx Allegra is not helping - he has referred me to an allergist. Thanks again!

burndata 12-02-2005 01:04 AM

just today the weather has changed.... over here in vancouver today the weather was colder than normal and my lips feel like they are on fire and blaming my burning lips because of the a cold day of weather is not right... but perhaps it is something else.... I have been eating lots of sugar items in single type sessions...but beside my bad diet.. I can't remember ever having lips that burn like this..... feel like I poured tabasco on them... and i have no ice cubes in the freezer. they are burning! I never use lip balms and the sort...

but today.. I was doing demolition work in a dusty mall type liquor store reno... and there was dust and **** in the air.... and if in the air.. then on my lips....

I just want to know what... and not sure how I would go about knowing why they are burning...
[B]
{removed} [/B] [I]Read posting rules. No websites.~Modinatrix21[/I]

adso 12-08-2005 04:26 AM

I dont know if this is what you are experiencing, but just as an FYI:

Swollen Lips or Eyes for me were just another form of Skin Hives, which does relate back (mostly) to allergies.

Art_930 12-08-2005 01:56 PM

It does sound to me like an allergic reaction. A lot of people are allergic to petroleum products (I am) and vaseline or chapstick would be the worst thing to put on your lips.

summerblue 01-28-2006 07:41 PM

The last time I posted here it was edited. I had said what I had was called burning mouth syndrome. The lips are cracked and sore and the mouth hurts and the tongue feels burned. Hope this helps.