It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2004, 09:56 AM   #1

g'ann HB User
sebaceous cysts

i have been getting these on my face for years now. recently they have increased at a ridiculous rate. the dermatologists said they were sebaceous cysts and that they would not go away on their own. he surgically removed 2 of them ( at the cost of $120). it has been almost 2 months since the dr. removed these two but it doesnt seem to me like they are gone.....just look smaller. these things look like chicken pox scars and are showing up all over my face.
does anyone know what causes these and is there a less expensive way to get rid of them? would retinol help? and how do i stop them from happening? they really look terrible.
g

Old 03-24-2004, 01:00 PM   #2

g'ann HB User
Re: sebaceous cysts

[QUOTE=g'ann]i have been getting these on my face for years now. recently they have increased at a ridiculous rate. the dermatologists said they were sebaceous cysts and that they would not go away on their own. he surgically removed 2 of them ( at the cost of $120). it has been almost 2 months since the dr. removed these two but it doesnt seem to me like they are gone.....just look smaller. these things look like chicken pox scars and are showing up all over my face.
does anyone know what causes these and is there a less expensive way to get rid of them? would retinol help? and how do i stop them from happening? they really look terrible.
g [/QUOTE]

so many have read this but no one knows of anything that will help?! surely there is something out there to make these things go away or at least stop new ones from occuring?? please dont tell me i am stuck at getting them removed ! That will cost over $1000
help!
g

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 05:05 AM   #3
(female)

cactusqty HB User

[QUOTE=g'ann]so many have read this but no one knows of anything that will help?! surely there is something out there to make these things go away or at least stop new ones from occuring?? please dont tell me i am stuck at getting them removed ! That will cost over $1000
help!
g [/QUOTE]
My daughter had one removed from her back, and presently has one on her forearm, as well as the back of her neck...they are like large pea sized lumps...the one removed was successful, and never grew back...small scar...her Dr. told her she was prone to them...so your comment makes me wonder if there could be futher development. I am so sorry that they are on your face.....I have posted about my facial moles...so I know your plight...I would check out a few different Dr.'s and dermatologists...be informed. Good luck.
cactus

Old 03-25-2004, 06:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

In the past year, I have had so many of these appear on my face, especially in the cheek and chin area. My dermatologist would inject them with cortisone and within 24-48 hours it would be flat. My insurance covered it so I only paid a $5 co-pay. Right now I'm on my 6th day of Accutane so that I (hopefully) never have to deal with these again. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you!

Old 03-25-2004, 12:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User

I had a sebaceous cyst on my lower ear...right where your earlobe attaches to your face. My doctor gave me very strong antibiotics and then I went to a derm, who removed it once it had gone down significantly. If your derm removed it, then it doesn't make sense as to why are not gone and only smaller. I also don't understand the chicken pox scar. I have a tiny thin pencil line scar that is barely visible. Why is your scar in the shape of a circle? I would go see another derm. Maybe my cyst was different? It wasn't like a big pimple under my skin. Is that what yours are like?

Old 03-25-2004, 05:31 PM   #6
Inactive

lammys HB User

Sebaceous cysts are just that, cysts.

"A sebaceous cyst is a catch-all term for a harmless growth that occurs under the skin and tends to be smooth to the touch. Ranging in size,sebaceous cysts are usually found on the scalp, nape of the neck, face, ears, and the genitals.

Sebaceous glands are numerous in these areas, secreting an oil (sebum) that lubricates the skin. Cysts form when the release of sebum, a medium-thick fluid, is blocked.

Unless they become infected and painful or large, sebaceous cysts don't require medical attention or treatment, and usually go away on their own. However, if they are tender to the touch they could be engorged with sebum or infected.

If this happens, antibiotics may be prescribed, or surgical incision and drainage may be needed for pain relief. Excision of the cyst and the surrounding sac may be done to prevent recurrence. However, sebaceous cysts may disappear spontaneously, or remain in place without causing any problems."

Sebaceous cysts develop in lots of people making it very common! According to research cysts can be a result of wearing tight or spandex clothing, poor hygene, or even exposure to oils. Don't worry, some women get them as often as every few weeks. Try not to pop them, it will only infect them and make them infected. Usually, if left alone, cysts will go away all on their own.

Closed Thread