It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2004, 10:14 PM   #1
(male)

Replicon HB User
Weird itchy rash that won't go away?

Hey,

Over the past few months, it seems that I've developed this rashing on my inner thighs, in my groin area. Just two red patches, very itchy (well itchy around the edges, the middle part is generally ok). It might just persist cause I scratch it, but it's real itchy, ack! Is there something I can apply to make it not itch, and maybe it'll go away? Thanks.

Old 03-06-2004, 04:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User
Re: Weird itchy rash that won't go away?

[QUOTE=Replicon]Hey,

Over the past few months, it seems that I've developed this rashing on my inner thighs, in my groin area. Just two red patches, very itchy (well itchy around the edges, the middle part is generally ok). It might just persist cause I scratch it, but it's real itchy, ack! Is there something I can apply to make it not itch, and maybe it'll go away? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

It could be a yeast infection. The area is warm and moist, especially if you are a heavier body type and have skin folds that become moist. It's the perfect medium for yeast to grow.

You might try the Canestan creams that you can buy over the counter. Don't buy the prefilled applicator ones. Get the ones you have to fill, this way you can just use the tube of cream. Wash the area a few times a day with warm water and a mild soap, and keep the area clean and dry by applying dry guaze, or something else that is moisture absorbing like a soft cloth. Opt for looser fitting under garments instead of briefs/panties (not sure by your name if you are male or female, sorry). If the rash doesn't show any improvement in a week, then go see your family doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2004, 11:05 AM   #3
(male)

Replicon HB User

[QUOTE=Katyana]It could be a yeast infection. The area is warm and moist, especially if you are a heavier body type and have skin folds that become moist. It's the perfect medium for yeast to grow.

You might try the Canestan creams that you can buy over the counter. Don't buy the prefilled applicator ones. Get the ones you have to fill, this way you can just use the tube of cream. Wash the area a few times a day with warm water and a mild soap, and keep the area clean and dry by applying dry guaze, or something else that is moisture absorbing like a soft cloth. Opt for looser fitting under garments instead of briefs/panties (not sure by your name if you are male or female, sorry). If the rash doesn't show any improvement in a week, then go see your family doctor.[/QUOTE]

I'm male haha. So no yeast infections for me

Old 03-06-2004, 07:14 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User

[QUOTE=Replicon]I'm male haha. So no yeast infections for me [/QUOTE]

Men can get yeast infections too It's not just a vaginal thing. Yeast can grow in warm moist skin folds.... even on men. I posted my earlier post keeping in mind that you could have been either male or female. The advice applies to both genders.

Last edited by Katyana; 03-06-2004 at 07:16 PM.

Old 03-06-2004, 10:46 PM   #5
(male)

Replicon HB User

Ah ok my bad haha. Yeah, webster.com is inaccurate then , as I wanted to make sure before posting hehe.

So what exactly does a yeast infection look like on the skin, and what are its effects and such?

Old 03-07-2004, 03:28 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User

[QUOTE=Replicon]Ah ok my bad haha. Yeah, webster.com is inaccurate then , as I wanted to make sure before posting hehe.

So what exactly does a yeast infection look like on the skin, and what are its effects and such?[/QUOTE]

It looks and sounds like what you described in your post. Give the Canestan cream a try. Wash the area with a mild soap and water. Dry very well. Apply the cream thinly. Do that a few times a day. If the rash persists, go and see your doctor and have them look at it. It could also be a fungal infection requiring a prescription cream.

Old 03-20-2004, 07:11 PM   #7
(male)

Replicon HB User

Well, I got some Lamsil (not sure what exactly it's called) at the recommendation of the pharmacist. It says it's for jock itch, and refers to fungal type things, so it's in the right direction anyway. Will try it, hopefully it'll get better within a week...

Old 03-30-2004, 07:57 AM   #8
(male)

Replicon HB User

So after a week of use, it looks like Lamisil has worked, mostly. The red patches have become slightly brown now instead, and don't really itch. If i tickle/scratch a little, just to test, it still feels like there's an itch, but it's not bad enough that I have to scratch...

My question is, is the thing done and I can stop using the creme now, or is this the case where there's still a little left, and I have to finish them off, so they can't come back?

Old 03-31-2004, 06:29 AM   #9
Inactive

MadSkillzGal HB User

could be a sweat rash like what babies get.

Old 03-31-2004, 07:17 AM   #10
(male)

Replicon HB User

[QUOTE=MadSkillzGal]could be a sweat rash like what babies get.[/QUOTE]

How do babies get rid of their sweat rashes?

Old 03-31-2004, 06:40 PM   #11

Ibsux HB User

I've had the same problem. You must NOT SCRATCH. Keep using the Lamisil daily for 2-3 weeks. After that try to keep the area dry as much as possible. Use talcum powder (non-medicated).

If you scratch it, the skin will never heal itself and will grow tough and sensitive producing a condition that's itchier and nastier than the fungal infection...

Old 04-01-2004, 01:40 PM   #12

Jasper_S HB User

Hi all, reading that last post im scared!

I've had this since the end of the summer, and sometimes it doesnt affect me, but sometimes I just scratch!.. I always just presumed it's a rash that's harmless, but I guess it could be what's being desicrbed.. It's exactly what you've had as well first poster.

How much did that creme cost? Im going to buy some tommorow and treat it for a few weeks. Occasionaly the skin will become very rough.. when I Scratch, but once i've put some creme on, it goes ok again, and soft.. but v red, and itchy.

Will do as said in this thread, hope it goes away

Old 04-02-2004, 09:26 PM   #13

Ibsux HB User

If you've had it since the end of the summer, chances are its no longer a fungal or bacterial infection. If you keep scratching it, the skin nerves become very agitated and sensitive which induces more itching. It's a vicious cycle you have to break.

A dermatologist will prescribe a topical steroid to calm down the nerves and reduce the lichonification (the condition I just described). Typically you'll be asked to wash the area twice daily and apply the cream for about three to four weeks.

Like I said before, YOU MUST NOT SCRATCH. Do anything to keep your mind off the itch. Keep remembering that the itch is temporary and for every scratch you make, you'll be setting yourself back.

Another important thing about the topical steriods—although the active ingredient is the same (fluocinonide) the vehicle is different by brands. So you may find it working great for about a week or two and then gradually gets worse again. It may take some experimentation to find out which cream works best.

Closed Thread