It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2004, 12:34 AM   #1
(female)

housemum HB User
Can stress cause itchy skin...??

I've been having horribly itchy skin lately. Especially at night. I haven't changed our brand of laundry soap or eaten anything differently. The only thing I can think of is that the past three months I've been under alot of stress. I haven't been sleeping well either.

Can stress cause itchy skin? I have taken unisom more then normal, but not more then 4x a week.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this before?

The Following User Says Thank You to housemum For This Useful Post:
gastroc (08-31-2011)
Old 03-15-2004, 08:05 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User
Re: Can stress cause itchy skin...??

[QUOTE=annieof5]I've been having horribly itchy skin lately. Especially at night. I haven't changed our brand of laundry soap or eaten anything differently. The only thing I can think of is that the past three months I've been under alot of stress. I haven't been sleeping well either.

Can stress cause itchy skin? I have taken unisom more then normal, but not more then 4x a week.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this before?[/QUOTE]

Yes it can. Stress can cause alot to go wrong with the body. I was under tons of stress for several years and was diagnosed with Dermatographism. A skin condition that creates welts from scratching or touch. I was insane with itching and lived on antihistamines (Benadryl).

I finally talked openly to my doctor and told him that I was depressed and stressed out. He started me on Celexa a few weeks ago. Since then I'm not only calmer and less stressed and feeling normal again. But I no longer itch.

You can try taking an antihistamine like Benadryl before bed and it will help you sleep. And a non drowsey kind in the daytime like Claritin Non Drowsey. But if the stress keeps up, consult your doctor. Stress can cause back pain, digestive problems, headaches, sleep problems, diarrhea etc. It's the result of the types of endorphins that the body releases when under stress.

The Following User Says Thank You to Katyana For This Useful Post:
samsplace (05-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2004, 09:51 AM   #3

Genabeena HB User

Dermatographism is a form of Urticaria if I'm not mistaken. There are many forms of Urticaria (including the one that I have where the hives are brought on by hot showers and exercise). There are also many possible causes of this disorder (stress being one of the far less common).

If you could have this condition, there is a discussion about Urticaria going on in a thread called, "severe itching rash brought on by weird things." Just go back to the skin problems board and you'll see it. I think you should check it out. My Urticaria started out mostly during the night too!

Old 03-15-2004, 08:56 PM   #4
(female)

housemum HB User

Wow, I've never even heard of Urticaria. I'll go see what it is.

It only started about 4 nights ago. Allergy season is upon us too.....my eyes are dry, itchy as well as my skin. Maybe its a combination of stress, enviromental. Just praying it'll go away soon.

Thanks for the info.

Old 03-16-2004, 08:38 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User

[QUOTE=annieof5]Wow, I've never even heard of Urticaria. I'll go see what it is.

It only started about 4 nights ago. Allergy season is upon us too.....my eyes are dry, itchy as well as my skin. Maybe its a combination of stress, enviromental. Just praying it'll go away soon.

Thanks for the info.[/QUOTE]

Urticaria is the medical term for a skin condition, commonly known as hives, characterized by the development of itchy, raised white lumps surrounded by an area of red inflammation.

Dermatographism are hives that are produced from [B]blunt[/B] touch. Meaning that scratching an itch with my fingernails, produced a "travelling itch"... essentially large hive welts in the pattern of the scratching. The more I scratched, the more I itched. The simple motion of taking my clothes off for bed was often enough to cause me to want to rip my skin apart from itching. The only way to stop the itch was to use a sharp item (IE: stiff bristle brush or dry loofah sponge) to scratch until the skin was red and tingled, or to take anti-histamines. Anything else made the itching worse. At one time I even sharted to remove my leg hair by the root via sugaring because the itch felt like it was deep in the skin.

After several years of suffering with Dermatographism, I was amazed to find that it went away overnight as soon as I started to take Celexa for my depression and stress/anxiety. Now when I get an itch, I can scratch it like a normal person with my nails and it's gone; no welts or hives to be found.

I don't know why Celexa cured me of this "Dermatographism", but I'm sure not complaining. The itch was part of what was contributing to my stress and anxiety too.

Last edited by Katyana; 03-16-2004 at 08:42 AM.

Old 03-16-2004, 06:41 PM   #6

Genabeena HB User

That's very interesting to me that Celexa seemed to cure it. I have depression also, but I suspect my Urticaria could have been caused by repeated self abuse during my undergrad studies in the form of sleep deprivation. It's just a theory at this time.

Closed Thread