It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2004, 12:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

surrealmeal HB User
Lightbulb Rash after going in hot-tub

I went into my boyfriend's hot tub a few nights ago. The next morning, i woke up with a rash of tiny red bumps behind my ears, a patch on my neck, and a patch on my chest. I know it's from the hot-tub because last time i went in there, i got the same rash! It happened at least 6 months ago, though, so i completely forgot to avoid it.

I foolishly went into the hot tub the next night, thinking that the rash couldn't get any worse. But it did. It's mainly on my neck and chest with a little bit spread to my face, ears, and shoulders. It doesn't really itch or hurt. Last time i had it, it went away in a few days without any complications. The only problems i have are:

It looks bad.

and

Why did this even happen?

I've gone in hot tubs my whole life without this happening, so it would be strange if i suddenly had an allergic reaction to the chemicals in them (chlorine and/or bromide). My dad knows a ton about hot tubs and he was telling me that most people don't properly sanitize them. And since the temperature that hot tubs run at is just about the perfect temperature for bacteria to breed, it's likely to be a bacterial infection.

Has something similiar happened to anyone else?

Old 04-10-2004, 01:34 PM   #2

OrbOfConfusion HB User
Re: Rash after going in hot-tub

Hi surrealmeal

Yeah, those rashes are caused from bacterial growth in the hot tub. My professor talked about it last semester and he said people need to clean them regularly with a disinfecting agent. The tub may look clean but bacteria are microscopic. Hope your rash heals quick.

Take care,
Orb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2004, 02:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

surrealmeal HB User
Re: Rash after going in hot-tub

Hi,
What kind of class were you taking with the professor? Just curious. Is there any other information you can give me, websites, etc about this rash? Is there a name for it? Also, would showering thoroughly with antibacterial soap after going in the hot tub prevent the rash? My boyfriend has never gotten the rash and it is his hot tub. Could this just be because i have sensitive skin?

Thanks.

Closed Thread