It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2004, 04:11 AM   #1
(male)

cs1992 HB User
Can BandAids cause a rash?

I have been covering a recent burn on my inner forearm with plain old bandaids for about a month now and have recently developed a round rash under it. The rash has not been irriatating, just red. It's edges are not raised & it does not look like ringworm (even though it is relatively round, but the center is not clear). The rash appeared under the adhesive part. I removed the bandaid and it is slowly fading (day 2-3 now).

After noticing the rash, I switched the positon of the band aid (the next day) and developed a similar, round rash over one of the ends of the new bandaid. Does this sound like a latex sensitized reaction? If this is a latex allergy, does anyone know how long it takes to fade away? Thank you.

Old 07-05-2004, 07:44 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

craftlady HB User
Re: Can BandAids cause a rash?

Sounds like contact dermitis, try using paper tape to make your own "bandaid". My family has a problem with the adhesive that is used, so we make our own bandages.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2004, 03:35 PM   #3
(female)

cth HB User

Hi, Yes, bandaids can cause a rash. Did you change brands? Are you perspiring? I doubt it is a latex allergy only because of where it is. [under the non-plastic part]. I am not 100% sure though. Are you using medication on the area? Are you sure the red mark is not the healing burn? If the red area spreads you should see your MD. If you think it is a latex allergy buy latex free bandaids. Wordy Huh? cth

Old 07-10-2004, 03:46 AM   #4
(male)

cs1992 HB User
Talking Re: Can BandAids cause a rash?

Just an update.

After a week, the rash is almost completely gone. I think that it may have been caused by excessive sweating while I wore the bandaid. The rash, which appeared under the adhesive part of the bandaid, has slowly faded. I suppose I will play it safe though and buy non-latex bandiads for now on.

Old 07-16-2004, 07:36 AM   #5

strbay HB User

I have this reaction with bandaids. It ranges any where from redness, to a rash, to actual blisters. The doctor said it is a sensitivity to the adhesive. Paper tape "for sensitvie skin" is less irratating, however, for certain situations it doe not stick as well. Areas like the inside of your arm/wrist, your belly or chest, neck....etc tend to have more sensitive skin. But again, this reaction seems to be more related to the adhesive than the latex or plastic in the bandaid.

Closed Thread