It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2004, 06:18 AM   #1
Inactive

coxdj HB User
Severe itching at night~ but no hives, or signs on skin?????

Hello everyone! My name is Deb. I have had a very strange thing happening now for about 2 weeks or longer. Can anyone please give me their opinion, advice, or just any thoughts???
I will be sleeping at night, and cant fall asleep because I will ITCH ALL OVER! IT is very annoying, and irritating, to say the least. Anyhow, the weird thing is, I have no hives, no bumps, no read marks, etc...no signs...but I will itch incessantly! So, I thought maybe it was laundry detergent because I had switched, so now I went back to my old kind, washed all the bed sheets,etc, clothes, and even soaked in Aveeno.....Oatmeal bath. And put Aveeno lotion all over last night, and still itched. It is affecting my life in a negative way because I cannot sleep.....I cant even sleep in bed with my husband because I feel bad to toss and turn so much, so I get up and sleep in the spare bedroom. I dont want to go on like this. Should I go see a Dermatologist? or an Allergist?
Please help with any advice. Thank you!

Old 08-13-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User
Re: Severe itching at night~ but no hives, or signs on skin?????

This must be so frustrating. This happened to me once after I started taking the antibiotic Cipro. Have you recently started taking any new medications, vitamins, or supplements?

Another thing could possibly be your lotion you are putting on at night. I am allergic to fragrance and other chemicals they put in cosmetics.

If it was your detergent, maybe your skin needs to adjust back to the old stuff again. Here's an example: I found out about the allergies I have, and switched deodorants, even though it wasn't affecting my underarms. They thought maybe it was affecting my eczema elsewhere. Well I tried several new kinds and they all made me break out. So I switched back to my original kind, and was still breaking out. I kept using it though, and after about two weeks the breakouts went away. The only thing I can think of is that I irritated my skin and it just needed a chance to adjust.

Try and think if there is anything at all that you have started ingesting, putting on your skin, etc that you started using around the time you started getting itchy. But it is possible to develop an allergy at any time in your life. If I were you, I would see a dermatologist about this. I hope you figure it out and can get back to sleeping well. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2004, 12:50 PM   #3

PAX HB User

It could be some of the things already mentioned. but you also might need a little blood work up (liver function tests, BUN /Creatinine (sp?) in particular, maybe a Sed Rate to measure the body's inflamatory response). Sometimes generalized itching is associated with various diseases - some of which have more severe itching noticed mostly at night.

I have seen doctors suggest sleeping in a colder room - perhaps taking a cooler shower prior to bed - as heat makes it worse.

LOTS of things can cause these symptoms - for me a dermatologist was more helpful than the allergist although you might find yourself visiting both.

Old 09-09-2004, 05:18 PM   #4

kingscote 11 HB User

Hi,
I have posted the same problem (Painful itching with no visible signs)
I have had allergy tests, blood work, Homeopathy, Biopsies, medications from all the practitioners, MD's, Allergists, Immunists, Derms you name it, I still get the problem every few weeks which sometimes comes back night after night and then even in the daytime. It drives me crazy, the only solution again I have found is ice.!!!????
Sorry I can't help. If I find the answer I will let you know also.
Good Luck and minimal outbreaks!

Kingscote 11

Old 09-09-2004, 11:03 PM   #5

Missjen HB User

Ditto to the above. No rash just itching and eventually an even itchier (didn't think it was possible) rash appeared. Got all sorts of diagnosis from various docs. And non effective meds.

Mostly it seemed to be in the hair follicals on my legs as well as some patches on my arms.

Eventually i was diagnosed with eczema - "the itch that rashes". And given the meds for that. They have worked to some degree.

Odd that I have no allergies as eczema is supposed to go hand in hand with that. Personally, I think there must be something in my environment that is triggering this. Wish I knew what it was!

Closed Thread