It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2005, 11:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
pinpoint itchy blisters on hands - what are they?

I have always had dry skin, and have been able to deal with it with various lotions and creams.

The last several years, I have had outbreaks of small patches on my hands that become very itchy. If I scratch at them, very tiny pinpoint size blisters appear, which are also very itchy and if I keep scratching at them they break, leaking a clear fluid. After a while they crust over and the skin there becomes thick and hard, and will often develop painful cracks. This goes away, but continues to reappear.

These never appear on my palms, just around my knuckles, on the back of the finger joint between the joints, on the tip of my fingers, around the nail bed or the web area between fingers. Just in spots, not the entire hand.

Stress makes it flare up. Liquid cortizone applied topically makes it go away, but it comes back, often to the same spots. It used to just come in winter, but now I get it some in summer, just not as bad.

Any idea what that is?

Old 01-15-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
(female)

trfan HB User
Re: pinpoint itchy blisters on hands - what are they?

I don't know WHAT it is, but I have the exact same thing. My doctor years ago told me it was viral and that stress and cold makes it flare up. But I don't know what it is exactly. Makes me think it could be some sort of herpes virus infection. Or something similar. It is painful sometimes and I often irritate my knuckles when reaching in my pockets while wearing jeans.

Let me know if you find anything and post an answer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2005, 10:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello mg and tr,

[B]I am not medically trained but hope I can help in some way[/B] I have just noticed your posts and thought I'd make a suggestion. My friend had the same problem as you both have and I researched into it for her. The name I came up with was Dyshidrotic Eczema. I know eczema does not seem to be like this but if you look into it you will find the symptoms you describe are so much like this. It actually can be stress related or indeed caused by sweating.

Hope it's of interest. Please let me know how you go on.

goldenwings

Old 01-15-2005, 01:09 PM   #4
(female)

Iadinae HB User

I have that problem. It flares up a few times a year, stays for a long time then goes away for awhile. I finally got in to see a dermatologist just before Christmas. Previous dr's had been giving me fungal meds that either made it worse or did nothing. The derm told me it was eczema, gave me a cream for it, and it was gone in a matter of about a week. He also told me that if it was indeed a fungus, this medicine he gave me would make it worse. Anyway... I go back to see him in Feb., but so far I am totally clear of it and I had it on my hands, feet, elbows, knees. Goodluck.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:33 AM   #5
(female)

trfan HB User

Yeah, mine is DEFINITELY stress-related. It first started when I was about to graduate undergrad degree. Then it flared up again when I moved overseas, and it continues to crop up during the cold. I wear latex gloves alot which make me sweat and that, for sure, makes it worse. I'm doomed.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya tr,

If the you see the doctor and he diagnosis the condition as the one I found in the research I did, then surely there must be treatment for it (I would have thought so anyway). Also, the latex gloves you wear, can't you get any with a powder inside that stops the sweating? I know I have used this type and I think they will be ideal for you with this condition. Or the anti-allergy type?

Regards,

goldenwings

Old 01-18-2005, 07:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Thanks goldenwings for the possibility of a diagnosis. [B]{removed}[/B] I'll look your suggestion up.

I've asked my gp and she doesn't seem to know what it is. She gave me some clobetasol (sp?) which I think is generally used for scalp itch. Its a liquid cortisone. She also suggested lotioning my hands liberally and putting on gloves over night, suggesting extremely dry skin. The liberal use of lotion helps with red itchy patches of dry skin, but not with the blistering patches. Clobetasol makes the bisters dry up and go away with repeated application, but then they come back when I stop, so it doesn't seem to be a long term solution.

I saw a dermatologist for something else last summer, but wasn't experiencing these blisters at the time, so I forgot to ask about them.

I don't think I have sweaty hands, although I do wash my hands a lot at home. I've gone to a very mild soap (using Dove body wash - I use Dove soap in the shower and it does not seem to cause me problems elsewhere). Unlike the other poster, I don't wear latex gloves, so that is not a problem. I can't think of any contact dermatitis type explanations that would produce my symptoms only in certain spots and not over my hands in general.

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 01-18-2005 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Read posting rules. No websites or how tos for searches.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya mg,

Glad to be of help.

Re: soap. I actually use a non soap product. Nivea Visage Refreshing Facial Wash Gel. A little goes a long way, so it is great for hands too. Perhaps worth trying.

I have weird and wonderful skin rashes at times. I have blisters that appear on my face, neck and shoulders but I don't think it is the same as your problem. Your sound so much more serious. I have lupus and my skin, because of steroid use primarily, is very dry and also very sensitive.

Hope you are doing ok.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 01-18-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:43 PM   #9
(female)

SoCalifLynn HB User

I used to have what seems to be the same problem. I would wake up in the morning with itchy areas on my hands, around the knuckles. I could see little, tiny blisters filled with what appeared to be water. They were itchy, so I'd scratch them, and the clear fluid would spill out. Then the area would become red. For me it happened mainly during the summer though.

Well, I haven't had them in a few years. It was after I went to the Dr. & was diagnosed with fibrmyalgia & she gave me a Rx to help. On the bottle it says "for itching & muscle spasm", she also said it would help me to stay asleep. Well, it's helped with all of those problems, and it didn't occur to me that the little blisters would go away, but they did! It's called Hydroxyzine HCL TAB 10mg (It's generic for Atarax). I take 2 10mg pills every night at bed.

Ask your Dr. about it, I hope it helps.

Closed Thread