It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 05:30 AM   #1
(female)

katharinefb HB User
Purple Cyst-like Bumps - Please advise.

Hello. For about 2 years now I have been getting cyst or non-headed pimple-like bumps on the insides of my thighs. They are purple, smooth surfaced, and usually have no pus, only bleeding when lanced. They are basically where my thighs rub together, so I assume it might be folliculitis (sic?!). I recently lost my job and all insurance, so I'm without ability to go to a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment. Can someone PLEASE calm me down? Is there a home remedy besides a warm rag? Ointments or creams perhaps? Would using an astringent on my legs daily help eliminate bacteria?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ScruffyGuy HB User
Re: Purple Cyst-like Bumps - Please advise.

Your self-diagnosis is probably actually correct. Wow! A milestone in internet history! Most folks would research rare diseases of The Congo and believe they have caught some variety of salt-water parasite!

Look, folliculitis is VERY common. It's not fun, but it's not serious.

It would cost you about $200, generally speaking, to get some professional help with this. Save up some cash and go hit a dermatologist when you can. Meanwhile, here's some at-home things you can do that might help:

Yes, the hot cloths and hot soaks in the tub. This, however, is inconvenient. It takes time and requires privacy.

Antibacterials. Don't go nuts with these, but do use them. A simple anti-bacterial soap like Dial or whatever will be fine. If you want to take it a step further you can use Hibiclens on the area. This is sold in any major pharmacy in the first-aid section near the peroxide and other topical products. It's a surgical scrub with long-lasting antimicrobial properties. $10 a bottle, but it will last a long, long time. READ and FOLLOW the directions carefully. Do NOT get it on mucous membranes of the genitalia.

Tea tree oil. A standard and well-received topical antiseptic. Tingly, sort of smells like menthol-camphor. Not a bad smell, but not a great one, either. $5 at Wal Mart or Target, in the vitamin aisle. Apply a SMALL amount after showering. It will dry and absorb quickly.

Avoid tight clothing. Wear stuff that doesn't cling or rub on your thighs. When possible, wear loose shorts or undies when hanging around the house. Air circulation is good. Keeping the area dry will help somewhat.

Lose weight. If you are overweight, losing a few pounds will help your thighs to not rub together so much. No offense meant here. Duly noted that some folks are naturally curvy and NOT overweight. Not much you can do about this!

Ladies who shave their legs should experiment with different razors to find the ones that are best for them. Try using NoBumpRx, available at Sally Beauty Supply or online. It will help reduce ingrown hairs and infected follicles. Men who do not shave their legs can also use this product.

Astringents should be used with moderation. TOO much astringents cause your body to start OVER producing oils to make up for what is removed.

Do not re-use towels or wear the same clothes over and over.

Do not pick at the lesions -- you can spread infection.

Antibiotics will probably help for a few months, but recurrences of folliculitis are common. And naturally, you have to see a doc to get them.

A doc can also prescribe soaps and topical applications that may help.

This is a condition that requires MANAGEMENT. There isn't really any cure, so to speak. There are solutions and methods that can make it much easier to live with.

Remission is possible. You may go many years without seeing flare-ups.

As you get older you may notice less and less of these lesions, too.

Most docs won't give you antibiotics more than once a year for this.

Good luck and don't worry -- with proper care and a little time and effort spent finding what works for you, this can be controlled to the point where it is no longer of much concern at all.

The suggestions above are meant as a general guideline -- not everything works for all people. You'll find a combination of things that work best for you, I'm sure. Be patient.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread