It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 09:08 AM   #1
(female)

jelena-c HB User
Question white patches, loss of pigmentation?

I am 27 years olf female without any serious medical history.
I have white patches on my thighs and my stomach, they look like loss of pigmentation, aren't itchy, flaky, just slightly lighter patches than my skin colour, and my skin is close to being fair. I have noticed the patches last year after couple of hours I spent in the sun. My skin tans very fast and the white patches became more visible because of the contrast of my tanned skin.
I'm not sure how I became to have them, I do remember when I was a child I only had two on my thigh, and they would become visible only after tanning. My parents used to vacation every summer to a sea, and we spent most of the time in the sun.
I definately have more than two now, and it spread to my stomach too. My thighs and my stomach are just slightly darker than the rest of my body and were always the first to tan.

Will the patches disappear if I keep out of sun?
Are they sun related as I believe them to be?
Will they spread all over my body?
Is there something I can do to get rid of them?
Has anyone else experienced the white patches?

Old 03-09-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kcgage HB User
Re: white patches, loss of pigmentation?

Have you seen a dermatologist?

I'm 24 years old and have similar marks on my back and in between my breasts. The dermatologist told me it is a fungas from using tanning beds. Basically, someone has the fungas and the staff didn't clean the beds properly, thus transferring it to me. Tanning and sun don't CAUSE it but WILL make it worse. I have since stopped tanning. I tired two antibiotics and two anti-fungal shampoos (as a body wash) and the marks are still there. I'm currently on my 3rd prescription of a new shampoo, so I'm going to give it a few more weeks before I go back again.

If anyone else has anything to add, please do! Hope something I said helps!

* I just found this link in a previous post. This is what I have. Take a look and see if it sounds or looks familiar.

[url]http://www.dermnetnz.org/fungal/pityriasis-versicolor.html[/url]

Last edited by kcgage; 03-09-2005 at 07:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 08:41 PM   #3
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

You should definitely see a dermatologist on this one. If it's fungus, it can be cleared up with treatment. But it may be vitiligo, which is an autoimmune disorder that causes loss of pigment. Sometimes they can treat it but if you have it, you shouldn't be tanning AT ALL.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:38 PM   #4
(female)

jelena-c HB User

Kcgage I have checked the link and I'm pretty sure that isn't what I have. My patches are pretty small and almost hardly visible, they can be seen in good light. This could be to my skin colour being fairly light.
I also have never been to a tanning salon, but was thinking I should visit one and see if those white spots would tan.
I truly hope it isn't vitiligo so before I do anything I'll check out with a dermatologist.
Thank you for your reply guys

Old 03-11-2005, 10:22 AM   #5

rd1978 HB User

see a dermatologist,, or get a second opinion,, i have heard about that fungus thing and some people used selson blue or a prescribed medicine,, but yes i could also be vitiligo even though they are barely visible it has to start somewhere it rarely happens you wake up one morning and have it,,, as far as tanning beds go,, some say to stay away from them although from what i understand sunlight is good for this,,, although it makes the contrast more offset as your skin becomes darker,, your white spots dont ,,,

Old 06-01-2005, 11:55 AM   #6
(female)

ballina HB User

Hi I also have vitiligo which only started when i was 30 Im now 42 (getting old LOL) Im not sure how it started although i had a very difficult period in my life when i was 27 . Some doctors say its stress related also they say the condition is meant to be heriditary none of my siblings or my own children have it . I dont know my dads family to well so cant check it out. I subscribe to a monthly magazine called Dispatches ffrom the vitiligo society in the UK its very informative they go all round the world to raise awareness of the condition you also get info on the latest therapy for vitiligo. Please get in touch with them and im sure thy will be more than happy to advise you what you need to do . If your not in the UK you will need to dial 0044 (0)207 840 0844 or there is a free phone number 0800 018 2631 I hope this has helped you some what? All the best to you and anyone who has vitiligo Keep your chin up and be positive Ballina xxx

Closed Thread