It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2005, 06:52 AM   #1

Em1111 HB User
Periodontal dermatitis?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went skiing and came back with severely chapped lips - even cracked at the sides. After my lips started showing signs of raised swollen bumps (on the actual lip and spreading to the corners) I went to my OB to make sure it wasn't herpes, and ruled that out. He sent me to a dermatologist, who diagnosed me with Periodontal dermatitis and perleche. She gave me Protopic, and something else for the perleche. It's been going on 3 weeks now. I only had minor itchy bumps starting on the chin, those are gone, and have seen some improvement on the lip area - doesn't feel as tight and red. But the bumps seem to flare up and down. I've changed toothpaste, brush, cleanser, moisturizer .. although i still use foundation because the redness around my lips. I use vaseline like it's going out of style. I can't bear to not have it on my lips or its tight, scaley and burning.

I guess I'm just wondering how much PD varies? I don't have the white ring and my is centralized to the lips and a big ring of red bumps around the lip itself. Sometimes they're dry and crusty and sometimes find and if i clean them, they sometimes ooze in little pinhead type areas.

I'm just starting to lose patience with this. My derm. said she would put me on a steroid if I didn't see improvement, but i've heard terrible things about that. I'm willing to wait it out with the protopic, but i don't want to wait in vain for this to improve. It's starting to hinder my social (aka dating) life because it's too hard to kiss someone for long!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
(female)

white dove HB User
Re: Periodontal dermatitis?

You ask how much PD varies...Mild cases might look like dry skin, or flaky skin around the mouth/nose. It can get much worse. You could look like a clown. Red raw burning itchy skin around the mouth, nose, chin.

(I think you mean perioral dermatitis, not periodontal. It helps to say peri-oral. Peri = around, oral = mouth.)

You did change toothpaste. Did you perchance get SQUIGLE Enamel Saver Toothpaste from the web? You need it. Also get Squigle's perioral dermatitis instruction sheet. Following all those instructions is vital to give your skin the best chance to heal itself. You are smart to look for help so early on.

You might read "toothpaste ingredients to avoid" on the Squigle Toothpaste website.

I replied to a recent post on POD on the acne board. That thread is spelled "perioral dermititis" not dermatitis.

I don't know about perleche. But at least using Squigle Toothpaste exclusively + following Squigle's instructions can help you reduce the perioral dermatitis, or get rid of it. I don't know if your tight scaly burning lips are a symptom of perioral dermatitis, or something else like the perleche. I never had burning lips.

I did have dry, flaking lips that peeled and bled (partly because I picked at them) before I used Squigle Toothpaste. I also stopped using mouthwash and lip products. Gradually my lips healed.

Closed Thread