It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 08:50 AM   #1
(male)

Sofa King HB User
Recommend an everyday shampoo for dry scalp

I'm using Nixoral right now to treat my dry scalp a few times a week but what do people use the other days of the week? Some everyday shampoos can irritate dry scalp. Are there some nice everyday shampoos that help with this issue?

Old 03-29-2005, 09:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User
Re: Recommend an everyday shampoo for dry scalp

My fiance uses Selsun Blue (Revitalizing formula) because of his dry scalp -- it is the only shampoo he has used for the past 6 years and he uses it every day. I have never seen any flakes on his head so don't think he needs a dandruff shampoo but he swears by it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #3
(male)

Sofa King HB User

Thanks. I've heard from my dermatologist that prolonged use of products such as Head n Shoulders may cause balding to occur and to try and not use it everyday. I'm adhering to that adice and will not use scalp shampoos everyday. That's why I asked. It may or may not be true but I'd rather error on the hairy side!

[QUOTE=kitkat77]My fiance uses Selsun Blue (Revitalizing formula) because of his dry scalp -- it is the only shampoo he has used for the past 6 years and he uses it every day. I have never seen any flakes on his head so don't think he needs a dandruff shampoo but he swears by it![/QUOTE]

Old 03-29-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

SofaKing... actually, there are scientific studies that show, that shampoos containing zinc, such as head and shoulders... can actually help sustain hair growth, i'd suggest you'd look into that... b/c i think your dermatologist might be a little uninformed about the research indicating this.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:58 AM   #5
(male)

Sofa King HB User

Interesting. I guess I should not always take the Derm's word as golden. She is a bit passed her prime!

How about vitamins? Does anyone take a particular vitamin formula specifically to fight dry skin/scalp problems. I've heard Omega 3's and B's can help. True?

Old 04-01-2005, 10:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

That is true, they do suggest that.... Also, probiotics are good, 3 times a day! Taking a B-complex vitamin is also good.. As well as zinc obviously!

Those are just a few you can try

Old 04-01-2005, 07:36 PM   #7
(female)

white dove HB User

AUBREY Natural Baby & Kids Shampoo, in health food stores. Or ask them to order it. It doesn't contain lauryl sulfates, laureth sulfates, cocamidopropyl betaine. Fragrances can cause problems too, so best to avoid them also.

Check shampoo labels just for those irritants I listed above. If your scalp is dry, avoid them. But they're almost impossible to avoid. Peer-reviewed medical literature documents the irritancy of these detergents. Sodium lauryl sulfate, for example, is a standard skin irritant. Dry skin is more susceptible to the effects of irritants.

My husband's dry scalp cleared up after he switched to Aubrey Baby.

Old 04-02-2005, 03:45 AM   #8
(male)

Sofa King HB User

Thanks White Dove. I was aware of those nasty ingredients and do try to avoid them. I'll take a look at your suggestion.

Closed Thread