It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2005, 09:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User
Ingrown chin hair problem...

ok, i feel like a weirdo posting about this and i know it is not exactly acne, but hoping someone else out there can relate or has a solution....

so i keep getting these ingrown hairs on my chin...sometimes they come out the surface so i can just pluck them but most of the time they get "stuck" under the skin and turn into huge pimple-looking things (can you still call them pimples if they are formed this way??) it just gets redder and redder until the hair pokes through...sometimes i have to go in there and dig them out and that makes it even worse....end result is im always having some sort of pimple looking things on my chin that i know are cuased by the hairs but look like just big red zits....a couple times its been so bad one side of my chin got all swollen because the sucker was stuck so good in there....i HATE this!! my acne seems to be totally under control this last month and now i have these to deal with....

has ANYONE had anything like this or am i the only weirdo??

The following user gives a hug of support to Smartpants:
loulou13 (08-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
(female)

Allison1125 HB User
Re: Ingrown chin hair problem...

you're not the only weirdo....i have these evil little chin hairs too. they cause most of my pimples on my chin. my derm said that i shouldnt try plucking them until they are long enough because if they are too short, you can accidentally poke them in & cause a bigger problem. she also said that there is a prescription creme that you can use to stop the hair growth but it only works for some people & unfortunatley most insurance companies dont cover it. i havent figured out a way to get them to stop causing these zits....just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2005, 10:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User

thank you!!! you dont know how reassuring it is to know im not the only one....your derm is exactly right - that is what i ALWAYS do - try to pluck them when they are too short and i end up with these horrible scars afterwards becacuse ive probably infected the whole area...its so frustrating because once i finally have thigns clear down there (all plucked out), the next batch start growing in! even more frustrating since now the rest of my face is clear for the first time in a long time and these culprits are ruining everything!

K

Old 05-04-2005, 10:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

Try using BHA's & AHA's - they will help to keep the pore and the skin surface exfoliated, allowing the hair to move out of the follicle and up to the surface.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:32 AM   #5

QTgirl HB User

Youre not the only one. These lil hairs ruined my face. I too always plucked them out. I am thinking about getting rid of them forever with either electrolysis or laser hair removal. Its not that much, but I never had any hair on my face, but I guess mayb my hormones had something to do with it--cuz they started showing 5 years ago. I have seen some ladies who have lots of hair that growed on their chins and they shaved it off--and it just ruined their face.

Old 05-04-2005, 12:16 PM   #6
(female)

jaybird75 HB User

See if you can try that hair removal cream Vaniqua (sp.?) - ask your dermatologist. That might help with preventing the hairs in the first place.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:50 PM   #7
(female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

I did electrolysis... when I was in 8th grade, now I am 23...eyebrows, upper lip, hair line, chin, sideburns, everywhere... (yea... thanks dad!) I guess I sort of got addicted. But, I shouldnt complain bc he also gave me thick, shiny dark hair on my head... so, I ll take it. ANyway, i thought i t was the best investment. I would go once a week for about 1-2 years. And now, I NEVER DO ANYTHING! No plucking (i dont even know if i have a tweezer... no shaving... no waxing) You have to front the money, but if you think about it... you would pay much more waxing FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. not to mention... you alwyas have to wait until it is long enough to wax. So, if you can afford it... do electrolysis. My best friend did the laser and it grew back... thinner, but it grew back... me, still hairy free!

Old 05-05-2005, 05:19 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User

how much (approx.) is electrolysis? and to do this, what would i have to do?? let all my little chin hairs grow out????

Old 05-05-2005, 01:43 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

have you tried any of the lotions designed to slow hair growth on the face? aveeno has one. i get those ingrown hairs too, on my eyebrows though, right in the middle, like a 3rd eye. *lol*

Old 05-05-2005, 01:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

I have used Vaniqua and it actually CAUSED ingrown hairs.

Old 05-05-2005, 02:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User

all ive ever tried is nair and i think thats what started the problem!!!

Old 05-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #12
(female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

electrolysis can be $30 for 30 minutes. It is important to find a person who is experienced with it...quality is more important than saving a buck or 2. Usually, they will focus on one section for that time or split it up. Depends on what you want. You can "trim" the hairs with scissors... so that when she is up close with the magnifying mirror she could see your hair, but your hair doesnt have to be long and lengthy.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:16 PM   #13
Inactive

Takara HB User

Electrolysis can take years of treatment to be permanent whereas laser usually just takes a few treatments.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:38 PM   #14
(female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

My college roommate had laser and it came back, It was thinner, but it came back. I havent had to do anything for the past 8 years. Electrolysis does take years to rid the hairs, BUT it doesnt come back. Consider it like an investment. I recommend electrolysis over lasers anyday. But, again, like anything, everyone is different and different things work for different people.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #15
Inactive

Takara HB User

It does take a few treatments of laser for it to be permanent, and if you don't have enough then it can come back, just like electrolysis.

There are also different types of lasers out there, some good some bad. The lasers [I]used at the[/I] spa are each over 100k and do what they are supposed to do.

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 05-09-2005 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Please note edit to post. Read posting guidelines. The boards are for PEER support do not offer advice in a professional sense.

Closed Thread