It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2005, 09:18 AM   #1

yerton HB User
Laser mole removal

I'm a big fan of the garlic method of removing moles, however, I just don't have the guts to try it on my face. I'm a male, so makeup is obviously how of the question. And although garlic works really well, it does make the skin around the mole very red and some moles are harder to get removed by the garlic than others.

Therefore, I'm really interesting in learning details about laser mole removal. If anyone here has had it done or knows something who had it done...share your information please. I'd really appreciate it. How much is it? Any scar?

Old 05-28-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ScruffyGuy HB User
Re: Laser mole removal

Lasers are not used for mole removal, sorry. Not sure where you got that information from. Lasers are not effective, do not penetrate deep enough.

There is some speculation that perhaps in ten years or so laser technology might advance enough to be utilized for this purpose, but right now... it's either scraping or excision and that's about it.

I won't get into discussion on home remedies to remove moles -- I think they are dangerous and should never be attempted, despite the online hype.

See a doc to discuss removal options if you have a facial mole that bothers you. You're choice for a final, finished appearance is either a small, thin scar from an excision or a lightly-colored spot that may or may not be slightly depressed if you choose a mole scraping procedure. You "trade" the mole for one of the above -- usually the patient gets to decide what method he or she wants, though a doc will give a recommendation, too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2005, 01:00 PM   #3

yerton HB User

Huh? There is such a thing as moles being by lasers. Maybe it's just not available in your area?

Old 05-29-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

ScruffyGuy HB User

No.

Raised moles are NOT treated with laser.

Just look it up.

MANY OTHER skin lesions ARE treated with laser.

If you are talking about FLAT areas of discolored skin -- that's NOT a mole. And these areas MAY be treatable with laser.

Actual, raised moles are NOT responsive to laser -- the mole comes back. Lasers cannot penetrate deep enough to eliminate the core of the mole.

I had a mole recently removed by a doc who specializes in laser. I also had laser treatments for a birthmark by the same doc. She discussed the options for treatment with me and she has six of the most popular lasers available right in her office -- NONE of them are effective for mole removal.

Again... look it up.

Old 05-29-2005, 03:22 PM   #5

yerton HB User

My fault. I forgot to mention that my moles are flat. And I'm calling them moles because the dermatologist I saw called them "nevi" aka moles. Every single one I have on my body (there's at least 50 or 60) are browish black, flat, and about the size of the end of a dull, unsharpened pencil point.

How much was the birthmark you had removed? I heard it something crazy like $50 a treatment?

Old 05-30-2005, 12:31 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

ScruffyGuy HB User

These types of lesions DO respond to laser, now that we've got the semantics problem worked out.

How WELL they respond will all depend on the type of laser, the shade of the lesion, the location on the body, etc.

Only your doc can give you an idea of the prognosis for treatment. Yet even the docs who do laser treatment all the time are not always certain -- a definitive prognosis is often difficult. Mostly it is a "try and see" approach.

For the record, to avoid more semantics confusion, my birthmark is NOT removed. In my particular case, with a vascular lesion (red), the treatment can take a LONG time (several years). BUT... there is considerable reduction in color and lots of faded throughout -- so I'm very pleased with the results so far. MY prognosis is that probably it will never be completely gone -- but that I will still see significant lightening with repeated treatments.

BROWN colored lesions sometimes respond MUCH quicker. Now it is up to you to make some appointments and start talking about options and price with your doc.

Price is hard to guess -- every doc, of course, has a different fee structure.

My birthmark is the size of a half dollar. It takes about 30 laser pulses each treatment to zap it. The cost for me has been approximately about $500 each treatment session. I have seen three different docs -- they all charged about the same. But since I need MANY treatments -- it adds up.

Probably you'd be charged by how many pulses are needed overall. The doc would know when he or she examines you and can give you an estimate. Since you have many small lesions -- you might be looking at a similar price. Figure 30 zaps, one or two per lesion, over many areas of your body.

Most likely the doc would do a localized area first. For example, your arm and shoulder might be treated and then in a month they'd do another section if you get good results.

Many docs do a test first with a few zaps to see if treatment is even an option, though with today's laser technology, there is almost certainly a good chance that it can help you.

If you decide to go for it and a doc thinks it is worthwhile, post again and we can discuss the details of treatment. It's generally no big deal, but do expect a couple days of discomfort -- and the treatment itself stings, but it's not really any big deal.

Good luck.

Old 05-30-2005, 01:51 PM   #7

yerton HB User

I would definitely love to get it done. I've been reading soooo many different stories about lasers I don't know what to think. On the cosmetics forum here at HealthBoards, someone said they had 100 moles removed for $350 and no scar. Then on another site I read that lasers do not work on moles. Sheesh.

Anyways, thanks for the help. You're the only person that seems to know what they're talking about...which is great.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:18 PM   #8
(female)

texasfirewheel HB User

Last edited by texasfirewheel; 02-27-2008 at 07:18 PM.

Old 05-31-2005, 06:09 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

ScruffyGuy HB User

CO2 lasers are a bit different from pulse-dye lasers. Pulse-dye lasers are more or less "better" technology -- less painful, faster healing time, usually no anesthesia required. Yet CO2 has applications in cosmetic treatment for certain lesions, too. CO2 is often used to "smooth" the edges of moles that have been surgically removed. I am not well-versed on TOTAL mole-removal using ONLY CO2, so if the above poster wishes to provide more details for you, that would be great -- I'd be interested to hear them myself.

Pulse-dye lasers can be adjusted more delicately to each individual's particular situation/problem. Many of the newer pulse-dye lasers also have cryo-cooling devices attached which ease damage to surface tissue. This new addition to the lasers makes for better results overall. However, only your doc can tell you WHICH laser is right for you. In my case, the V-Beam laser is the best option. The V-Beam has many applications, not just birthmark removal -- so it is at least worth looking into.

As for price... once again... "to be determined." But probably we're in the right ballpark here -- don't quote me, of course, but... sounds like about $500 would be good to start with for your particular treatment needs. Same as doing one larger area, same approximate number of laser pulses needed for many smaller areas, etc.

Find a doc in your local area and get a consultation. Many docs will apply the price of the consultation toward the price of the first treatment. Not ALL will do this, but... if you can find that kind of offer, it's definitely a good deal.

Old 05-31-2005, 01:48 PM   #10

yerton HB User

Scruffy, I know you can't give an exact number, but about how much do you think it would cost in my situation? Like 20 flat, brown spots about the size of a pencil point. Like a bunch of these little dots ........ maybe a bit bigger.

And the scar won't be bad you think?

Old 05-31-2005, 01:59 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

ScruffyGuy HB User

You're right -- I can't possibly tell you what it might cost... but I am quite sure you are looking at a few HUNDRED dollars, not fifty bucks per treatment as you mentioned earlier.

I get about twenty-five zaps with the laser each time, to fully cover the half-dollar sized area. I've paid between four and five hundred each session.

Pulse-dye lasers do NOT leave scars -- at least not most of the time. They are so adjustable that scarring is very rare. They can be adjusted by spot size (how large each zap actually is in area), adjusted by joules (the power intensity of the laser) and adjusted by duration of each pulse (how long the energy blast hits your skin -- generally milliseconds). A properly trained doc will know what settings to use and this will reduce the risk of scars to almost nothing. Once in a great while, when treating very stubborn areas of pigment or blood vessels, if the joules are increased too high levels, a scar is possible, though it would still be very faint. Docs always start off with LOW settings to minimize this risk. Usually only folks who need repeated treatments and who opt for higher joules to get better results run this risk. One-time customers probably don't have to worry much.

You are saying you have about twenty spots to zap. That's about the same total number or zaps needed for me -- therefore, probably a very similar cost. The SPOT SIZE of each zap would probably be smaller, but the same number of zaps. I have no idea what joules setting you'd need, but it wouldn't change the cost of treatment much anyway.

With all due respect, however... you say your spots are about the size of an ellipsis (...). Why bother? These are practically minuscule. I'm betting most docs try to talk you out of it... a few may even withdraw their services. But cosmetic surgeries are almost always elective in nature, so you could certainly find a willing physician out there. It's your call, ultimately.

Good luck.

Last edited by ScruffyGuy; 05-31-2005 at 02:01 PM.

Old 05-31-2005, 06:13 PM   #12
(female)

ilovemypug HB User

Scuffy...
I have the same thing. They are like moles. They are brown-ish and are flat. They range in size. The bad part is they are on my face. I am very intrested in learning how to remove them. [B]{removed}[/B] I am really intrested in knowing because I have struggled with them for a long time.

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 05-31-2005 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Please make a seperate post for your questions.

Old 05-31-2005, 06:37 PM   #13

yerton HB User

[QUOTE=ScruffyGuy]
With all due respect, however... you say your spots are about the size of an ellipsis (...). Why bother?
[/QUOTE]

I see where you're coming from, but they really bother me confidence wise. I'm pretty much deadset on wanting to get them removed...and laser is the only thing there is with the best chance of not getting 20 bad scars.

Last edited by yerton; 05-31-2005 at 06:37 PM.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:56 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

ScruffyGuy HB User

Thanks for the information, everyone.

I suggest we all look up more details regarding CO2 lasers/treatments.

The V-Beam pulse-dye laser that I use isn't difficult at all -- the treatment certainly does sting, but it's over fast and no big deal. The CO2 sounds much more painful. I do not use any form of anesthetic -- they just touch a chilled steel roller to my face halfway through the treatment and for a minute or two after. Then I apply ice for about an hour. After that... it's bothersome for a few more hours, then it gets less noticeable. A few nights of restless sleep, perhaps, but again -- no big deal.

Also, for me, the purple bruising fades dramatically in three days. It takes seven to ten days for all of it to be gone. It is NOT painful during this time at all. I do not require Aquaphor or any additional salves, though I do know lots of folks who use the same laser and DO find relief when using the Aquaphor.

Finally... I understand the concern when you have something that you'd like cosmetically altered. That's what these treatments are for, after all -- it is YOUR choice. Though I personally wouldn't mind having some small dots here and there -- if it bothers you, you certainly have every right to seek treatment for it.

Yep -- it's gonna cost you. Unless you can convince your insurance company to pay, which is doubtful in the absence of any other medical complication from the moles... you'll just have to save up some cash.

I'll close by saying that while my birthmark doesn't bother me at all, I find the potential treatment options fascinating and I'm enjoying the fading that I am getting. It will never be fully gone -- but that's OK. There are other reasons to use laser on birthmarks, to avoid minor complications that come with age. I'd tell anyone who wants to seek these kinds of treatments only to make sure you are doing it for YOURSELF and not because you are concerned what anyone else thinks of you.

To that end, good luck to all!

Closed Thread