It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 03:42 PM   #1
(male)

simvt1 HB User
Red spots on body

Hello everybody,
About two months ago I suddenly found a tiny red dot on my body. After that, I don't know if it was because I was looking harder or not, I found another one. Then jsut yesterday I found three more, they look like they jsut pop up over night but I am not sure if I had them for longer and jsut wasnt tuned into finding them. I that they are cherry angiomas. They are bright red and round and about the size of a pinhead. They don't hurt or itch. I have about five of them on my body. I am only 24 years old does anybody else have this same problem? I mean they are tiny but I don't know if it is something worse because they pop up out of nowhere? Thanks

Matt

Old 06-07-2005, 09:14 AM   #2
(female)

sandt HB User
Re: Red spots on body

I have them too. I went to the dermotologist today to talk about it since I've had a lot more of them appear "out of nowhere" like you describe. She said lots of people get them and there is nothing you can do to prevent getting them. It costs about $10/spot to cauterize them. Insurance won't pay for it. Also, I have had a few of those spots for a couple of years and I will tell you that they do get bigger over time. But they are harmless, it's just a cosmetic thing. You are likely to get more as you age, so keep up with them if you can. Don't bother going to the general doctor for them, must see a dermotologist to get them removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 10:51 AM   #3
(male)

simvt1 HB User

Hey Sandt,
I was wondering if you first found them and then like a day later they jsut apperared. I have health anxiety and these jsut seem to appear out of the blue. I mean they are really tiny, I don't think anybody would see them if I didn't show them to people. I am jsut worried that it is something worse. Anyway I have a dermitologist appointment on tuesday, but I am wondering if I should go to a regular doctor to have bloodwork done, even if they are on my skin and I feel fine other wise.

Thanks

Old 06-07-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
(female)

sandt HB User

It does sound like you have cherry angiomas. They start off real small, like a tiny red dot that doesn't feel like a bump. Most people don't notice them when they are this small. But with time they get larger and more noticable where you can feel it when you touch it and it protudes form the skin. It is always a good idea to see the dermotologist though rather than self-diagnose yourself on the bulletin boards. Make sure to ask him plenty of questions and if you learn anything, please post it. I would hold off seeing your general doctor until you have spoken to your dermotologist next week.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:37 AM   #5
(male)

simvt1 HB User

Sandt,
Thanks for the reply. You made me feel a little bit better. It is just hard with Health anxiety, either I get extremely worried about it or I want to run to the doctor as quickly as possible. Also with you did you have a bunch of them pop up over night? And also how big were yours, very tiny like the size of a head? I mean with mine the came overnight and I only found them by looking extremely hard at my arms. Thanks

Matt

Old 06-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

ScruffyGuy HB User

Matt:

SandT's advice is on the money and there is little else to know about these tiny angiomas.

They are harmless, though EVERY skin lesion should always be monitored of the course of the years to make sure no additional changes happen. These angiomas can get slightly larger as time passes, perhaps to the size of a Sharpie magic marker dot. This is normal and nothing to fear.

[B]{removed}[/B] But angiomas turning cancerous is almost unheard of.

Yes, you can have them blasted by a dermatologist to get rid of them if they are cosmetically annoying to you -- but this is not a necessary "treatment" for any sort of illness -- it's just a personal choice.

They are probably not popping up overnight as you might think. Yet, ultimately, they have to start SOMETIME, don't they? So maybe one or two show up where they weren't before and you somehow pick up on this. More likely, they've been there a while and because they are so small you notice more now because you are looking for them.

Not all of them will get bigger, either. In fact, most do not. You can always elect to have larger ones cauterized and leave the others alone.

Some folks can have hundreds and hundreds of these, with just a few that are visible without ultra-close inspection.

Your derm will tell you if you need bloodwork done -- and I'm sure this will not be the case.

With all due respect, you've probably got the correct diagnosis here and you already know these are nothing to fear. You may wish to consider speaking with a doc or counselor about your over-anxious health concerns in general so that you don't have to spend your time and energy worrying about every little thing.

Please keep in mind that as we get older our bodies change. Most of the time these are superficial changes that are natural and normal. Skin changes greatly, being your first line of defense against the entire world. Your body is a fluid thing, always changing. Don't panic -- in fact, you'd better get used to it!

EDUCATING yourself (as you are doing right now) is the best way to learn about what to expect and what is important so you know when to seek medical advice. Going into panic mode doesn't do any good at all.

For the record, I have dozens of these tiny dots, too. They are invisible, more or less, unless I carefully scan my skin and pick them out, except for one or two larger ones that are of no consequence to me. I'd rather buy a nice thick steak to put on the grill than spend the cash to have these tiny red dots blasted away! Skin isn't perfect and the celebs you see on TV are wearing makeup, don't forget. Real human skin has all sorts of variety to it.

My Mom has these marks, too. As do many other family members and friends of mine. This is COMMON and a natural part of the aging process for many individuals. Don't forget, the "aging process" starts about the time when the umbilical cord is cut, so...

See the derm, by all means. Stop worrying. If you want them removed, go for it. Otherwise, it's pretty much a non-issue.

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 06-07-2005 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Read posting rules. No how tos for searches.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #7
(male)

simvt1 HB User

Thank you Scruffyguy,
That was pretty reassuring. I guess I just feel like these things are popping up in places I have not seen them in. Plus just last night about 10 of them poped up. I am just worryied that it is something else, because other websites say that they are a sign of some blood disorder. It is almost like the more I think about them and worry about them the more they pop up. I wonder if anxiety over them is making them pop up. I know that they have to popup sometime but I don't understand why 10 of them happen to pop up over night. I know that I don't have any other symptoms and they don't bother me. Are yours a red to purple color and are they small enough that you basically need a magnifying glass to see them? Thanks

Matt

Old 06-07-2005, 01:55 PM   #8
(female)

lalalalovely41 HB User

i have the same thing. they are sooo tiny. and i only noticed them b/c i was looking for them. they are mostly red, a bit of a purple hint to them. i have had two CBC blood counts and everything is normal. so im trying not to worry. i have bad health anxiety, so thats a hard thing to do.

good luck

Old 06-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #9
(male)

simvt1 HB User

Thank you for the response. I mean it jsut freaks me out a bit that yesterday I look in a spot and there isn't any of them, and then today I look in the same spot and I see them. Should I go to a dermitologist first or a regular doctor?

Matt

Old 06-08-2005, 06:36 AM   #10
(female)

sandt HB User

Mine aren't so tiny. I counted how many i have yesterday - 84. About 60 of them have just been noticable for 5 months and they keep getting larger. But there are about 10 of them I have had for 3 years that are huge and not flush with my skin! Some of the larger ones are along my hairline and on my back and thighs. I wouldn't care so much about these spots except all of mine get so big and I watch them all get bigger as time goes on. If they would just stay small and I couldn't feel them when I touched them, I'd be ok, but I'm not so lucky.

simvt1 - If you just want to confirm what they are, go see a regular doctor. If you want to confirm what they are AND discuss removal of them, see a dermotologist.

Old 06-19-2005, 07:53 PM   #11
(male)

simvt1 HB User

Hello everybody again,
I felt fine after these previouse posts but then I started to check my skin again and now i found more of these spots. It seems like they are popping up everyday. I look at my arm and there are more of them, bu this time they are very tiny, almost like red veins or the begining of cherry angiomas. I jsut wish that I can stop worring about them. I also see them on my arm and they look like very very tiny red dots. Has anybody else have these on their skin? I mean they are small and I probably would not have noticed them unless I looked closely at my skin. Thanks

simvt1

Old 08-26-2005, 02:12 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

I have hundreds of them and have had them for years. Started with a few and more appear each yr. I always wondered what they were and have asked many doctors over the years and not one knew what they were. They would just murmur something about age spots.

When I started having thyroid problems, I was reading something about one of the symptoms of adrenal ineffecientcy could be the red spots on body and I wondered then if that was what it was. Then I started looking several days ago on internet and diagnosed myself ....."angiomos". Then I started wondering how they got the name "angiomos"..........could it possibly have something to do with your heart.

Most of mine are small, but have a few on the trunk of my body that are as big as a dime. One of them got scratched and bled and when all the blood drained out it went away. Some of them have started as an extreme "itchy" spot and then the spot would pop out about the size of b-bee.

I did notice that my brother had a few just starting on him, so I decided they must be hereditary.

Have you ever seen a baby born with what they called a "strawberry". You used to see this often years ago, but don't remember seeing one on a baby in a very long time. They were usually bigger than our little spots, sometimes as big as a half dollar or even larger, but looked almost just like them or maybe a cluster of them. I wonder if it was caused by some kind of deficientcy when the mother was carrying the baby, because today most take better care of themselves and take prenatal vitamins.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:15 PM   #13
(male)

redDOT HB User

I had lymes disease and have 5 of these pin head size red dots/bumps is this a sign of a co infection

Closed Thread