It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 08:48 AM   #1
(male)

khad HB User
Unable to touch paper after washing hands :

For as long as I can remember, I've had this odd problem where if my hands get wet for any amount of time--suppose water accidentally gets on my hands--I dry them off and they feel very dry and sensitive. I can't do anything that has to do with paper, some types of glass or similar feeling objects because it is extremely uncomfortable. Merely holding a book (the cover is fine, just the pages) is similar to hearing fingernails on a chalkboard.

If my hands are just a little bit sweaty--say I put them in my pockets for a few minutes--then my hands feel normal. I can touch paper and not wince.

I did go to Wally World and try buying some hand lotion (boy was that embarassing) but it didn't seem to do any good. It was fairly cheap and probably not the right "kind" or something... I wasn't sure what to look for.

Old 07-08-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User
Re: Unable to touch paper after washing hands :

I get that problem sometimes too...it's not all the time, though. I never had it until I was about 19 yrs old and worked in a factory for a summer packing boxes. My hands & fingertips got VERY dry from handling cardboard for 8 hours every day. It was sucking the oil out of my skin. I'm 36 now, and mine get sensitive like that when I stop applying hand lotion on a regular basis. By "regular basis", I mean as-needed to take away the dryness/sensitivity, and then just every other day or so as maintenance. What's so embarassing going to buy hand lotion? I'd get just a basic brand without too much fragrance.
Gayle

Last edited by Gayle0000; 07-08-2005 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
(female)

Wildputycat HB User

Wow!!! I thought I was the ONLY person that had this problem. I've been diagnosed with OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder for the past 20 years and I've always thought that this problem was just one of my OCD's. It's so nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:48 PM   #4
(female)

Trashley HB User

Haha this is so funny! I was/am like this. Sometimes in public bathrooms I wouldn't wash my hands because I knew they were going to get dry and then I'de have to touch something and it would feel odd, well dry. So now I just bring lotion in my purse

Closed Thread