It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 08:17 AM   #1
(female)

SupaStarlet HB User
Angry Peeling Skin On Hands

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone can give me advice on this matter...

Basically, my hands just started peeling randomly about 2 weeks ago. It's really strange because suddenly these blister-like things appeared, opened up then peeled. Looks a bit like athlete's foot, but on hands. They keep popping up all over my hands, mainly my fingers but a little near the wrist. Also, it's mainly on the underside of my hands.

I'm worried because at this rate I'm not going to have any skin left, plus it looks and feels disgusting so I can't even hold my boyfriend's hand!

At first I thought it may be some kind of contact dermatitis, but I haven't touched anything different recently. Then I thought maybe eczema, but eczema on me has never shown up like this - it's always red and itchy and sore and bleeds. This stuff on my hands doesn't itch or anything, it's just peeling and it's seriously annoying me.

I've tried all sorts of creams prescribed to me, for example, diprobase, soft paraffin (oilatum), hydrocortisone, unguentum merc, etc etc.

So can anyone give me an idea what it is and how to treat it? Anyone had a similar experience?? PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Thanks people, Lissa xoxo

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: SupaStarlet
davey jones (10-16-2011), sandyburleson (11-27-2011)
Old 07-18-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
(female)

SupaStarlet HB User
Re: Peeling Skin On Hands

Come on! Is there noooooooooooooobody out there to help me???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 11:16 PM   #3
(female)

tropicalfreeze2 HB User

do you swim alot? i used to be a swimmer and the chlorine used to do that to the palm of my hands. it was nasty...big chunks of skin would come off. ya it does look like athletes foot. i had it for about a month every year. i don't swim anymore so it doesn't happen, thank goodness. the only thing i used a lot of moisturizing lotions. hope this helps, that's all it got. good luck.

Old 07-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

excaliburgrl HB User

hey your thing sounds like mine so i'll describe it to ya and we can decide...

what i have started out as one little bump in jan 2004...a day or two later the skin peeled off of it...then the skin hardened there and cracked and bled...well it has spread more...most of my left hand has it now and i have other random bumps on my fingers and other parts of my hands...it's mainly my palms and once in a while my hubby doesn't want to hold my hand cause it feels so weird...

i've been to the doctor 6 times for it and have tried 4 different useless prescriptions...the latest one had tar in it and stunk...

recently this has spread to the side of my foot...one of my doctors thought it was topical dermatitis, but if it was that i would've thought one of the medicenes would've worked by now...

oh and did i mention the itching and burning...sometimes it feels as if my hand and foot is on fire!!! sometimes i can't even open pop bottles cause the pain is so bad...

does this sound like what you have??? if you do have the pain and itching, buy aveeno lotion...it won't get rid of it, but i have found that's about the only lotion that eases the pain for more than 10 minutes...

Last edited by excaliburgrl; 07-23-2005 at 12:25 PM.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:38 PM   #5
(female)

Njoylife HB User

About two months ago, I started out with a few tiny red bumps. They spread all over me. Looked like poison ivy but I didn't have an itch or any pain. About a week later, the bumps started drying out and peeling like you discribed. The only thing I used that was new to me was clorox disinfecting wipes. Their label reads no bleach but I didn't like the reaction and won't use them again. [B]{removed}[/B]

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 07-24-2005 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Please make your own seperate post for your question so the original poster can get theirs answered.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
(female)

SupaStarlet HB User

Thanks for your ideas guys, but I just don't know! I don't swim at all (oh god I won't even get into a swimsuit), it doesn't hurt or itch.....it just peels.....the stuff on my fingers has seemed to decrease but its now on the palms of my hands.

Also, my feet have now got it, it seems. Although this could just be athlete's foot, all the treatments for that hasn't worked. I feel like a snake shedding it's skin. Seriously.

Ok, let me try and describe it better. It looks as though the skin just dies in a patch and loosens itself from the underlayer. That hollow white bump then opens and peels off. This peeled off patch then spreads until I practically have a copy of my hand in hollow skin. Gross!

It kind of looks like when you put pvc glue on your skin then peel it off. In fact, it's JUST like that except it's real skin!

Thanks for your help everyone...got any more ideas?

Lissa xoxoxo

Old 07-28-2005, 08:57 AM   #7
(female)

bump_girl HB User

My hands peel whenever I use bleach. There are a lot of chemicals out there and even though I don't realize what I'm using it can cause all sorts of things! Like the classic 50s mom with her rubber gloves, we should be more careful. I don't own rubber gloves and even the latex in those can cause the same reaction!

Aveeno. Sware by it. I agree. It's a great lotion.

When my hands are really bad, though, Aveeno isn't strong enough to cut the bleach off. And your hands will keep peeling until whatever it is goes away. If this is something other than a chemical problem, this solution still might work for you:

Try Burt's Bees Hand Salve. Comes in a little circle thingy. Even there cuticle cream. It works great for me and in a day or two I'm alright. Just keep an eye on it!

I should also mention that my husband is a mechanic and his hands go through the ringer every day. We've tried so much that's on the market. Right now he's using some foot cracking stuff. It smells good! I still say, the Burts Bee's stuff is the best. It works great on his hands, too.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:30 AM   #8
(female)

midniterlk HB User

I came across this health forum looking for a cause of my husband's "peeling fingers" problem, and I would like to say to "excaliburgrl" I had the same exact problem on my hands and feet. I went to Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in NYC, and was hospitalized with psoriasis. My feet and hands burned, itched, cracked and bled so badly, I couldn't do simple things such as, open a bottle either. I was hospitalized for three weeks and went through a series of treatments, one being called "PUVA" primarily for the hands and feet, although I had patches of psoriasis in other areas. I saw many Doctors before my diagnosis, and it seems like your going through the same thing. Hope this info was of some help. By the way I am free and clear of my skin problems since I was in Columbia, and that was in 1980! Good luck.

Old 07-30-2005, 01:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

excaliburgrl HB User

so sorry that we haven't come to the source of your problem yet...hopefully we can get it figured out...

mid--thanks so much for your input...back when i was 15, i was diagnosed with psoriasis on my arms and i keep telling my mom it reminds me so much of it...see, we are stationed it germany and my mom [B]{removed} [/B] can't look at my hands to see it...

i told my docs that that is what i thought it was but they said nay...but i still think that is it, so my mom is sendind me some over the counter meds to see if it works...thank you so much...i'll let you know if it works...

i spent a good 10 minutes this morning itching my foot!!!

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 07-30-2005 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Read posting rules.

Old 07-31-2005, 03:49 PM   #10
(female)

deepdesire HB User

I also have the same problem. I notice it the most when I have been using cleaners or staying in water for more than 5-10 mins. I found the best thing to do is get a salt scrub and scrub for a little while to remove the dead skin. Then at night I would go to sleep with petroleum jelly on my hands with gloves on. I also use vasiline intensive care lotion. I find that it clears up if I try to either use gloves when cleaning that DO NOT cause you hands to sweat and wash you hands with a very sensitive soap. Also try not to wash alot of dishes in the sink or soak your hands for a long time. It should clear up. but this just worked for me.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:20 AM   #11
(male)

se7in HB User

hi i know what your talking about i have been getting te exact same thing on my hands since i was about 12 years old. i have tried every singls dry skin cream and i have lost track of the prescriptions. im now 22 and having a very serious out break and its mostly on my thumb and pointing finger its so hard to hold small objects as the whole area is totally raw. but i have one thing which has halped me a lot in the last two out breaks .. baby oil!! i have been expermenting with mixing other things in to help such as vitiman e oil alo vera essence lavander oil tea tree. jus a few drops of each in the whole bottle of baby oil, it softens the dry hard skin and prevents the cracking and bleeding and the essential oils help the healing process so recovery time is much faster..
hope it helps
xxxx

Old 04-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Have you thought about hand/foot and mouth disease? It is a virus that causes your symptoms and can become chronic if you do not clean up the source. It starts with a mild rash then peeling of skin.. the mouth part is only a rash around the mouth and inside.. it can be sparse and mistaken for an ulcer or two.

Young children carry it and share it willingly. My son has brought it to us twice from preschool.

What is hand, foot, and mouth disease?

Well this is what we were told.. Hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) is a common illness of infants and children, but low and behold parents an child care providers can get it too! Symptoms include fever, sores in the mouth, and a rash with blisters and peeling skin on the hands and feet. It takes 7-10 days to cycle through the stages.

The symptoms are milder in adults, a fever may never be detected. HFMD begins with a mild fever, poor appetite, malaise ("feeling sick"), and frequently a sore throat. One or 2 days after you get it the fever begins, and painful sores may develop in the mouth. They begin as small red spots that blister and then often become ulcers. They are usually located on the tongue, gums, and inside of the cheeks.

The skin rash develops next with flat or raised red spots, some with blisters. The rash does not itch, and it is usually located on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. It may also appear on the buttocks. Each person is different and they may have only the rash or the mouth ulcers.

I would look into it.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 04-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Evie4 HB User

[QUOTE=SupaStarlet;1810287]Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone can give me advice on this matter...

Basically, my hands just started peeling randomly about 2 weeks ago. It's really strange because suddenly these blister-like things appeared, opened up then peeled. Looks a bit like athlete's foot, but on hands. They keep popping up all over my hands, mainly my fingers but a little near the wrist. Also, it's mainly on the underside of my hands.

I'm worried because...

...So can anyone give me an idea what it is and how to treat it? Anyone had a similar experience?? PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Thanks people, Lissa xoxo[/QUOTE]

A few people close to me have a variety of skin peeling problems on the palms of their hands. One had what you are describing and it went away when she quit nursing and wearing latex gloves. She had that distinct little blisters then peeling. Commerial soaps in in public bathrooms considerable worsens another persons condition (which in his case just developed over the last 5 years or so). The fingers peel on the underside and get bright red and sore. For the third person, she has a history since childhood and the condition is easily set off by immersing hands in any kind of cleaning solutions, even washing dishes.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #14
(male)

frank007 HB User

[QUOTE=SupaStarlet;1810287]Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone can give me advice on this matter...

I'm worried because at this rate I'm not going to have any skin left, plus it looks and feels disgusting so I can't even hold my boyfriend's hand!

At first I thought it may be some kind of contact dermatitis, but I haven't touched anything different recently. Then I thought maybe eczema, but eczema on me has never shown up like this - it's always red and itchy and sore and bleeds. This stuff on my hands doesn't itch or anything, it's just peeling and it's seriously annoying me.

I've tried all sorts of creams prescribed to me, for example, diprobase, soft paraffin (oilatum), hydrocortisone, unguentum merc, etc etc.

So can anyone give me an idea what it is and how to treat it? Anyone had a similar experience?? PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Thanks people, Lissa xoxo[/QUOTE]
I've been having the same exact problem for years. I see your post is from a couple years ago. Are you still having this problem?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #15
(male)

derok HB User

i got the exact same thing as supastarlet. it lasted about a week until the whole underside of my hand was raw. then it just went away. but just recently it started again. I noticed that the only time it gets worse is when my hands get wet for a period of time. for example: pool, shower, bath, etc. i think i am going to go to the dermatologist.

Closed Thread