It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
(female)

lilsteff HB User
Red face Extremely painful boil or cyst under armpit causing some numbness to right arm

Hello, this is my first posting and I hope someone can offer me advice on my problem. I am at my wits end and am in alot of pain. I have no health insurance and I am also embarrassed to go to the ER.

I just relocated to SW MO area this past summer, and started to date someone who was diagnosed with a staff infection. He had what appeared to be boils or cysts on his knees and lower legs. I helped take care of him by giving him compresses. When he appeared to be getting better, I had sex with him. About a month after I started to get boils. First on my head, then on my face, lower torso, buttocks. I now have a scar on my face, and a few on my back. I am depressed now and feel ugly.

The major problem now is that I have developed one under my armpit. It has grown rather large and has a strand like thing crawling up my arm. It feels extremely tight and I can hardly sleep at night and also causes great discomfort when I try to move my arm. Last night, I started experiencing some numbness in my arm. It still is a little numb, and I think it might be cutting off my circulation. I don't know if this is an emergency or not. I don't know if and ER will be able to help me. I can't get in to see a doctor for atleast 2 weeks and I am in a lot of pain and I am scared!

I need some help and I am about to give up, I read in the paper that Staff infections are on the rise for some reason in this area. What do I do? Go to the ER or what????????????????????????????????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User
Re: Extremely painful boil or cyst under armpit causing some numbness to right arm

I would go the ER. Do not be embarassed....you aren't going to show them anything they haven't seen/heard of before.

Old 12-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
Re: Extremely painful boil or cyst under armpit causing some numbness to right arm

ok you need to go to the ER. Thats what I did when I got my staph infection. I had boils on my buttocks and groin so thats much worse and embarrasing than having them under the arm. I got the staph from my dad who gave it to me, my brother, and my mom. You need to get it cultured and put on an antibiotic. It could be MRSA (methacylin ****tant staph areus) which is what I had and my family had as well. This can be very dangerous because it can be difficult to treat. MAke sure you get this cultured and treated properly.

Old 12-14-2005, 05:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

I agree with everyones advice. I had a boil in the groin area and went to the ER, where it was lanced and I was given antibiotics. It was also caused by staph, and due to the infection there was also cellulitis. Best to get it treated properly.
Staph lives on everyones skin, by the way. It is opportunistic. If it is given an opportunity to enter the body, for example by shaving (abrasion to the skin), it can cause an infection.
If you have red streaks going up the arm from the boil/cyst, that is indicative of infection and you need antibiotics. Please see someone soon to treat this before it spreads too far into your system.
Good luck

Old 12-14-2005, 08:23 PM   #5
(male)

lolitazz HB User

You need to go to the ER NOW. You should not mess with painful boils, they're bacterial infections. When they become that painful you need surgical drainage to clear the infection.

Severe boils can be life threatening if the bacteria infects your bloodstream so be careful. Forget the embarrasement. It's your life at stake here.

Closed Thread