It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2006, 06:56 AM   #1
(male)

godeh24 HB User
SD - how to get rid of flakey skin on face?

Hi, my first post, hope to get some results

I have read posts and posts about SD, but kind of get the feeling its a bit different for everyone, hence me posting about "my" situation so that i can understand it better with help.

Around 6months ago i had red sore and flakey nose, didnt take much notice of it so never got it checked out. About 2 months ago, i had the same thing on my forehead, again i thought eventually it will go away so i ignored it.

Only last 3-4 weeks ago it spread slowly to the one side of my nose, then eventually to other side. But the past 4-5 days its become very noticable, thats when i started reading forums to see what this relates to. I also went to my doctor and she told me its SD, and from what i been reading on the net, i also beleive that it is SD.

I bought nizoral last after reading posts on forums, which helped alot for my dandruff which relates to SD, and was a "slight" improvment on my face. I also used it on my face as instructed, only used it once a day, left it on for 3-4mins. I also got 2% kez cream (forgot name), only used it last night and this morning and i have to say, the flakey skin is worst ive seen it, also my lips have gone v.dry (not sure if lips is part of it). It looks nasty.

Should i carry on using nizoral and the cream, or should i be using other products to help improve it? - The one thing im very uncomfortable with is the flakey skin which is very noticeable nearly covering all my face.

Advice will be much appreciated.

ps. im going florida for holiday in 3days, worst time for me to get it so bad.

Gee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2006, 07:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Re: SD - how to get rid of flakey skin on face?

Actually before going to Florida is the best time to get it. It will be gone by the time you get back (as long as you stay out in sun and go to beach). The warmer weather, staying in the sun and the salt water from the ocean will get rid of it, though it may come back again in a few weeks when you get back. Otherwise after using the Nizoral in shower, put a non oily moisturizer on after taking a shower (and other times during the day). It won't get rid of it but it helps till weather warms up.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
(male)

godeh24 HB User

Thanks for fast response.

im curious to see how it goes when im out there, will be over the moon if i can control the flakeyness it self.

Not sure if its against rules to post names of products on the forums, but it would help me a lot if you can recommend a decent moisturizer that i should idealy be using.

Thanks
Gee

Old 02-22-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I'll have to check, I was using Curel but couldn't find it at store so picked up something else. It doesn't really matter what brand though, just make sure it's fragrance free, and doesn't have petrolium in it. Put it on while still wet and again after you dry off. Won't get rid of it but will remove most of that flaking. Basically you just want to manage it until weather gets warmer. I'm getting a humidifier put in my heat pump before next winter, I'm hoping that will prevent me from ever getting this again.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
(male)

godeh24 HB User

Its not the nicest of things to get, but thank god its not as bad as other illneses out there.

I was told by doctor to use hydrocortisone 0.5 - not to use for a long period of time though. Is it worth actually getting, ive heard it can have side effects, and thats last thing i want (unless i heard wrong).

Ive also read around forums about jojoba oil & moisturizer cream to fix the flaking, have you come across that? or heard otherwise.

And lastly - If my skin is very flaky (like today) - is the anything i can do to temporaly remove it for the day, as it looks horrible. At the moment i am just using hands, something cotton to clear it off, but the areas get red and get irritated.

Again, thanks a lot for your response, i tend to calm down a bit everytime i learn something.

Gee

Old 02-23-2006, 06:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Hydrocortozone gets rid of the itching. Thats all, it's a temporary solution for the itching. Basically worthless unless your itching is driving you crazy. Mine came back for the 1st time in about 5 years so I'm still experimenting on getting rid of it. last time Nizoral worked but this time it seems to have no effect. I remove the flaking by putting moisturizer on after the shower (and may help to put on before the shower also). Though, like you it does leave my skin a little red. I'll let you know if I find out a way to stop it completely.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
(female)

princess77023 HB User

Hello:

I bought "Sarna Lotion" for Eczema and Dermatitis at the drugstore and it works pretty good. I also use "Aveeno Oatmeal Lotion." They say Oatmeal is good as a moisturizer for the skin.

Good Luck,
Alice

Closed Thread