It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
(male)

Tonym81 HB User
How to heal facial scar

I am a 25 year old male and I recently have been assaulted, got hit with a weapon in the face, bled like crazy.
This gave me a nice gash in my left cheek that had to be closed with 6 stitches, a black eye, bruised cheek, 2 other smaller cuts near eye and jawline which also required stiches.

The wound is 4 days old now, very tender and red, the stitches were taken out on the 4th day (today).

I slab on polysporin so the wound is very moist from the cream and leave it on all day and night. As I understand this will diminish the the final scarring and help it heal faster.

Its a pretty decent slice about 1-2 cm long and a puncture in the middle, although its not a massive cut or traumatic wound it still leaves me looking pretty bad, the wound is fairly fresh though.

How do facial scars heal usually? what can I do to help it along beside polysporin or just leave it alone? I don't mind a small scar on my face but the less the better obviously.

I quit smoking/drinking, eating right, excersize regularily, which all help I think.

What can I expect? or do to help the potential scarring.

Thanks for a reply, never been cut like this before.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:56 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Dan_Sims HB User
Re: How to heal facial scar

If you dont want to get laser surgery and there is always a risk with surgery.
If you go to any drug store. ( Walmart, CVS, Wallgreens etc)
They have a section for scars.
Ointments and Bandaid even makes a bandaid for scars.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2006, 05:22 PM   #3
(female)

akazie HB User

You might like to put emu oil on the area which will help it to heal faster and will also help reduce scarring.

Old 02-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Vit. E oil might be something to look into, as well.

The effectiveness is argued, but my Dr. had me apply it to a post surgery scar for like 6 months afterwards and my scar healed nicely.

I also applied neosporin...

Maybe intake more Vitamin C right now... It's water soluble so you can take a lot more than the recommended daily value and be okay... Whatever isn't used is expelled in your urine.

Just a few suggestions, hope it heals for you nicely.

Keep putting on the polysporin at least 4 times a day.

Dr.'s might even be able to give you a prescription strength topical antibiotic to help it heal.

Old 02-25-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User

Hi Tony,

I recently got some cut on my face (from falling off my mountain bike) and after a few stitches, my dermatologist recommended for me to use Mederma.
It works and you can hardly see the scar.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:23 PM   #6
(male)

Tonym81 HB User

I have EMU oil, and have used Mederma before which did help.

I have been applying Neosporin on it liberally since the day of the injury everyday (over a week now) but when I gently wash it it gets really raw and wrinkled, on a sheet the doctor gave me it states to let it air out for a while if this happens so thats what I am doing right now.

I am guessing that using things like EMO oil, and Mederma i should wait till the cut has fully closed and healed to a point where its no longer open?

Its really raw, so what should I be doing? use polysporin and let it air out for a while, when its ready use other products?

Thx, for help.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:16 AM   #7
(female)

akazie HB User

The emu oil is fine to put on open cuts and wounds, I would apply it as soon as possible actually, it will help it heal faster. I think they say not to use Mederma on open cuts.

Closed Thread