It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
(male)

highlyconcerned HB User
Keloid Scarring Anxiety

About 8 years ago, a mole was removed from my chest, and this resulted in a keloid scar at least three times the size of that mole. That was when I was introduced to keloid scars. About 2 or 3 years later, I actually stabbed myself with an exactoknife, resulting in a 3/4" keloid scar on my wrist. In between these keloids, I scraped my hand against a wall and developed a very small keloid on the back of my hand, which is almost unnoticeable.

All of these have resulted in a fair share of psychological distress, and I'm quite self-concious about them. I'm a caucasian Jew, and I don't know anyone else who gets these scars: I must say it's quite lonely.

What I'm concerned about, though, is the future. If these two scars are all I ever get, I'm fine. They're not going to change the course of my life.

Every time anyone mentions surgery on TV or real life, I get very nervous. Everyone can fix their problems with surgery, so they don't have to worry too much about accidents...But if I ever need surgery, I'm afraid that I'll get a keloid that will engulf my entire body! What if I get in a car accident? What if I cut my face? Will a keloid engulf my face and make me ugly for the rest of my life?

For the past five years, no scratches or cuts have caused any keloids, and while most have been minor, there have been times that I've expected a small keloid and nothing has happened. Could it be that since I'm older now, I am less likely to get keloids? I'm 19 years old, and my newest keloid is 5 years old. I never got any keloids before, say, age 11.

I'm trying to calm myself down, but I don't know how. I've just suddenly gotten very nervous about this topic, and I don't know where to turn. If I do get a face injury, would it be possibly to just get pumped with a whole lot of steroids and use pressure treatment so as to prevent a keloid from forming? Could the same apply for surgery? Is it likely that in the next few years, better treatments will be developed?

Again, I'm not too concerned about the keloids I have. I just want to be able to live my life like everyone else, and not be afraid of the prospect of surgery if I need it, or cars, or knives, etc.

If anyone could please calm me down, that'd be much appreciated. I just know that if I were to develop a huge keloid on my cheek and become unsightly, I might get very depressed, have a hard time finding a spouse, have a hard time communicating with co-workers who don't want to look at me, etc. I really don't want that. If any of you can show me that such a prospect is unlikely after considering the likelihood of the injury and the treatment options, please let me know...

...or if you know of any other way to make me feel better, that'd also be appreciated .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2006, 09:41 AM   #2
(female)

dianabarry HB User
Re: Keloid Scarring Anxiety

I think that there is a genital wart cream called aldara that may be used on keloids. Or if you cut the scar out, have them stitch it again, and then use the silicone sheet. Also, if you were to get a scar on your face, you could try silicone sheets. This prevents them from forming in the first place. People with white skin are more likely to get hypertrophic scars, not keloids, so it seems strange you have them.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:24 PM   #3
(female)

FlorenceC HB User

Well, I'm going to tell you one thing . . . I had chicken pox when I was little and I was left with a HUGE keloid on my shoulder . . . like a whole pencil eraser poking up out of my skin . . . well to my content . . . it has lost the fattiness and it's nothing but a scar now . . . it is no longer raised above my skin . . . so don't give up hope . . . they may just get smaller and smaller as the years go by . . . but if that doesn't happen try that stuff that the last poster suggested . . . otherwise . . . maybe apply mederma to your keloids . . . that could really help . . . good luck and keep us posted.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Ask your doctor or dermatologist to put a shot of cortisone in the keloid. It will make it flat to the level of your surrounding skin. It will not take the red out, but this will fade with time.

Did you already try the mederma, and if so how did it work?

Old 07-27-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
(male)

goodman HB User

Your doctor can remove the whole think and inject steroid afterwards. No keloid will form.
Please consult your doctor.

Closed Thread