It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
(female)

sunh8sme HB User
Exclamation solar urticaria?

For the past year, if I've been exposed to sunlight for more than five minutes, I get all red, like a really bad sunburn. This "sunburn" itches, and I get a few red spots wherever I don't get red (i.e. under clothing). Sometimes these spots get raised, but not always. But they always itch.

I went to a dermatologist several months ago, and she diagnosed me with solar urticaria without so much as a single test. I've heard there are different types of solar urticaria that change the treatment options, but she didn't seem to know or care; she just said, and I quote: "oh, cool, you have solar urticaria. Take Claritin, avoid the sun, and use sunscreen." Then she left. No time for me to ask questions, or anything. She didn't even examine me! Just had her nurse ask me what my problem was.

I'm here hoping against all hope that someone will read this and know something about this disease. If you try to research it, it is so rare that there is hardly any info out there. I want to know more because all the characterizations about it say you always get weals, and I don't. They never mention your skin turning all red and getting hot like a sunburn, but one that goes away after half an hour.

Please help me if you can!

Closed Thread