It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006, 12:06 AM   #1
(male)

Menkatek HB User
Question Seborrheic Dermatitis Treatments

What treatments for seborrheic dermatitis have worked for you?

As a longtime sufferer of seb derm on my scalp and face, I'm finally committed to fighting this condition head-on, instead of relying passively on hydrocortisone. So I'm curious how other people are tackling this, with particular interest in naturalist and OTC remedies. My current plan of attack:

Cetaphil Skin Cleanser, on face - Nightly Shower
Selsun Blue, on face and scalp - Nightly Shower, alternating with H&S
Head & Shoulders, on scalp - Nightly Shower, alternating with Selsun
Hydrocortisone 1% Cream or Ointment, for flareups.
Clotrimazole 1% Cream - 1 application - Nightly
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) - two tablespoons with a cup of water - Twice Daily

Actually, I started putting Selsun Blue on my face last week. And I only began Clotrimazole two days ago. But already, my face is great! No flakes or redness of any kind. Almost all of the flaky skin and dried sebum are gone.

I'm hoping to try ACV as a natural maintenance remedy, first by consuming it for a week and then using it on my face. For the drink, I often hear the two tablespoons recipe. However, to apply on the face, how much should I dilute the ACV? I may also take fish oil supplements for Omega-3. It is purported to help with seb derm.

Lastly, people seem to talk a lot about Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother, the benefits coming from organic apples and not being pasteurized. Has anyone had experience with this?

So, what has worked for you?

Last edited by Menkatek; 06-10-2006 at 12:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Re: Seborrheic Dermatitis Treatments

Hi there,

I was recently dxed with seborrhea or an allergic reaction. I have this for over 2 months so I am doubting the allergic reaction.

What does seborrhea look like. Mine is like pimples with a hard crust on the end, no redness though but itchy as can be. when I get a spot on my head it feels like a cyst or something, is sore but turns into this crusty spot. The Dr. gave me a script for topicort but it burned my face like fire.

I have this in my scalp, forhead and eyebrows also behind my ear. I had the ear and head cleared up but it came back. I am using t-gel and hydrocortisone cream. (1%) Some of the bumps have little pin holes in the center, may be from scratching.

Everything I read on the net says redness, mine is skin colored.

Thanks, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 06-10-2006, 12:17 AM   #3
(male)

Menkatek HB User

Dermatitis takes up many shapes and forms. It's normally the product of inflammation, which is why steroid creams like hydrocortisone are prescribed so frequently across a range of skin problems.

There are some pics of seborrhea available at http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000501/2703.html. I think those pictures are of rather extreme cases though. A quick Google Image search should offer more.

I also have eczema, which is similar to what you described. That is, there's no redness but it looks like acne all clustered in one area.

Was your doctor a dermatalogist? Have you also tried any antihistamines?

Last edited by Menkatek; 06-10-2006 at 12:23 AM.

Old 06-10-2006, 04:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

Thanks for the reply.

No I have not seen a dermatologist, in fact have not seen my personnal G/P. I know she will send me to a dermatolgist and feel like there is no sense going. I have Fibromyalgia and am over sensative to meds, I cannot take an oral anti-histamine they make me so jumpy and wired.

I have searched, dermatis and saw so many pictures but saw nothing that looks lke I have. They sure present the worse case scenario. I am going to try the cortisone for another week and see what happens,I was only using it when the ithing got really bad, now I am using it 2 x"s a day plus the t-gel. Maybe I will check out the pharmcy for a anti-histamine cream, if they make such a thing.

Thanks again. linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Closed Thread