It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
(male)

Rydog2345 HB User
White patch doesn't even sun burn?

Hi,

I'm posting a pic of my right shoulder that has a random white patch. The main thing that is interesting about this patch is that even when I've been out in the sun all day (like today), that all of the surrounding skin burns (see the bright red burned skin in the photo), but this white patch stays white and pale. I've never heard of skin that won't even burn. Could that area of skin just have damagad blood vessels so that it won't turn red when being out in the sun all day? I first noticed this patch a few months ago when I would get out of the shower and my shoulder/back would be red from the hot water, but this patch was white. But I really began to notice it when I started going to the beach recently and my whole upper body (face, chest, shoulders, back) would get really sun burned, but this little patch would still be pale white as day as if it didn't get any sun at all. When I'm white all over in the winter I can't even see the patch unless of course I'm red temporarily after a shower or what not. Thanks for any help!!!

[url=http://www.uploadfile.info][img]http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/6360349e90.jpg[/img][/url]

-29 yr. old white male

Old 06-18-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User
Re: White patch doesn't even sun burn?

It looks like a scar from the picture. Is it raised in anyway or is the skin different to look at (other than being white)? The thing that comes to mind if it isn't a scar, is "Vitiligo". If this is the case, the skin there no longer has pigment cells. I would have your doctor look at it, as it can be caused by some diseases, like Addison's disease or diabetes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
(male)

Rydog2345 HB User

Thanks for the reply. The white patch is not a scar, nor is it raised or does it look different than normal skin (except for being white). My mom has "Vitiligo" that she got about 15 years ago in her mid-forties. However, hers started in the usual places, facial area, hands. Also "Vitiligo" is PRONE to burning from what I have read. Whereas my white patch WON'T burn. It's like blood isn't reaching the surface of the skin thus it can't become red. It doesn't hurt or itch it's just white. As far as Addison's disease, I think you are confusing my symptom with the abnormal "tanning" of certain areas of the skin with Addison's. Also, I'm sure that I'm not diabetic. Thanks again!

Old 06-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
(male)

garager HB User

I have syringomas, it's a tumor that attacks the sweat glands, it's not a harmfull tumor, but never the less its still cancer cells. Where ever i have those patches they do not burn from the sun, nor do they tan, I can't say that you have this, since it doesn't look quite the same, but possibly it can be cancer cells. Go see a dermatologist, and get the right answer.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
(male)

davidjoshua HB User

I have the same thing the author does, but its more like spots and takes up less space. It's on my jawline closer to my ear, so it's not very noticeable. During the spring and summertime when I get more sun, it becomes more noticeable because it doesn't seem to burn or tan. It wasn't always there, but it's the only place like that on my body. I thought vitiligo was bigger and grew?

Old 06-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
(male)

Rydog2345 HB User

Thanks for the posts, but syringomas are firm, round bumps that are skin or yellow colored and 1-3 mm in size. This is not what I have. My white patch is just like normal skin except blood doesn't seem to flow to the top of the skin which is only visible after a hot shower or after being out in the sun all day in which it remains white. The closest thing I've found on the net is that it could be a fungus. If it's not a fungus, I guess the blood vessels just aren't operating at the top of the skin in that area. Thanks again for the posts.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:54 AM   #7
(female)

love8 HB User

hi there,
my first thought about this is that it might be vitilago. has it been getting bigger? if so, i would say there is a good chance it might be.
vitilago is a auto immune disease that attacks skin pigmentation. you might want to look into it. good luck.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:33 PM   #8
(male)

Rydog2345 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I have not noticed it getting bigger. Also, from what I've read about vitiligo is that it is very PRONE to burning due to the lack of melatonin, whereas this patch DOESN'T burn dispite being in the sun all day. Also, as I mentioned earlier during the winter I can't even see the white spot because it blends with my normal winter, non-tanned skin. I would think that vitiligo would be visible even in the winter. Also, vitiligo tends to start in other areas from what I've read, like the hands or the face. Also, you can't see from the picture but there is at least one tiny brown freckle inside the middle of the white patch, so this also doesn't point towards vitiligo. When I take a shower, my back and shoulders get red from the hot water, but this spot stays white which makes me think blood just isn't reaching the surface, maybe because of a fungus or damaged blood vessels in that area. Thanks again.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: White patch doesn't even sun burn?

Look up tinea versicolor which is a fungus and see if the description fits.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:06 AM   #10
(male)

Rydog2345 HB User

Thanks for the reply. Tinea Versicolor is the ONLY thing I've found on the net that matches what I have to some degree. I just wanted to get some other opinions on this board. Thanks again!

Old 06-24-2006, 06:28 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: White patch doesn't even sun burn?

I've read that applying Selsun Blue to the areas affected for 10 minutes then washing off might help get rid of it. I think you're supposed to do it daily for at least 2 weeks.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:39 AM   #12
(female)

di-ane HB User

HI, that seems like vitiligo,vitiligo begans from small patch and then it spread all over the body, go to your derm as soon as possible.Vitiligo are not cancer.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:37 PM   #13
(male)

Rydog2345 HB User

I think I'll try the Selson Blue trick as the only that closely resembles what I have is Tinea Versicolor. There are many reasons why I don't think it is Vitiligo, one being that my patch won't burn in the sun, whereas Vitiligo is extremely prone to sunburn. Thanks again.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:07 PM   #14
(female)

JustMeInID HB User

Rydog, does this seem to be something new, or could it just be something you've never noticed before? My daughter has a similar white patch on her back that she's had since birth. I always just assumed it was some sort of birthmark. She's 21 now and it's never gotten any bigger (or smaller), and it never tans or burns in the sun.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:15 PM   #15
Inactive

kevinnader HB User

ugh,

I feel nauseous after seein this thread. Since I have similar symptoms. On my stomach theres quite a few patches that arent as dark as rest of my stomach. Theres a large area right beside my belly button where theres like colored skin pigments and then right above its like a patch of lighter. Looks like a puzzle because of the colored pigments shaped right before the clear patch. Then theres 2 spots on both sides under my chest. Its like darkish skin then a 2 inch long 1 inch wide white area then dark skin above. its like this on left and right side of stomach. kind of hard to notice if im looking in the mirror but if I am sitting down and look straight down I can really notice. im not very dark or anything and that makes it harder to..is it possible that certain parts of skin just dont tan ?

ugh..does it always mean somin serious?

Closed Thread