It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2006, 10:03 AM   #1

lauramac1 HB User
Recent onset of facial bumps and skin-tags

Starting a few years ago, I thought I had a pimple on my cheek that wasn't going away. I tried to pop it, but it wouldn't pop and it hurt, so I stopped (duh!). It started out pink and then matured to a white, slightly raised lump.

About 18 months ago, I saw a dermatologist for an itchy mole on my arm. He removed it and I asked him about the white spot, which was still there. A few more, smaller ones had also shown up, around my face. He said they were nothing to worry about and that he could remove them with a laser treatment if they started bothering me.

Since then, these white bumps/spots have increased to about 15 or so, some much smaller than others. I've also started getting moles or skin-tags around my neck, shoulders and chest. They are a real nuisance and look yucky too. My mom has them, too.

In the past month I became aggressive with two of the bumps that were on my throat, just under my chin. I really dug them out. One had had some grainy white stuff to it, but I think the other was a baby skin-tag because it almost seemed to have a "root." They both hurt like the dickens. Also, I've been left with two small dark scabs. yes, I've learned my lesson about "self-surgery!"

I haven't taken any action with them because I have a very active 3yo daughter and am working full-time...busy-busy.

I do not follow any skin cleansing regimen - I'm lucky if I rub a warm washcloth over my face in the morning. In the shower, I use Dove bar soap.

Any suggestions, short of returning to the dermatologist?

Are these just a part of aging, as my family doc says? I'm 47.

Thanks for any suggestions! Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User
Re: Recent onset of facial bumps and skin-tags

Lauramac,
They might be White Heads but, I don't really know. I have had some big white bumps. Basically, if I have the same thing, it is a little white bump under the skin. As far as I know, those are white heads. They are difficult to "pop" but, it is possible. They are kind of hard and grainey and seem to be rooted in there. I don't know if they still sell them anywhere but, several years ago I got a little makeup tool that was designed by someone like Cindy Crawford for Revlon...I think. Anyway, it is a little metal thing with two ends. On the ends is a little open circle. Basically, it looks like a double sided melon baller with a hole in the "spoon like scoopy thing". Both holes are different sizes. One for smaller zits or white/black heads, and one for bigger guys. You would take it (whichever hole fits over the invader so that you can see the "spot" come through the hole. Then just press down until it forces the puss or grain out. It works really well to get rid of those little white heads. The black heads always seem much smaller and much more difficult to extract.
Now, as far as what I use to cleanse my face, I shower at night and only wash my face at night since my skin is kind of sensitive. I use those Olay Daily Foaming Discs. They come in a round dark blue container. They don't require any water to make them foam but, I use them in the shower to make things quicker and easier, as well as not make a mess over my sink. I use the Combination/Oily blend even though I tend towards the dry side. Then, after my shower I use Ponds for dry/sensitive skin moisturizer. I moved from up north to down south and, about 6 months after that move (which was nearly 9 years ago) my skin started taking a bad turn. Red, dry, acne, white heads, black heads, you name it...my skin adopted it. So, only very recently (about a month ago) have I found the routine/products that work for my skin type. Also, since it is summer and I have read enough about skin cancers caused by sun damage to scare the living daylights out of me lately, I have started using Jergens Natural Glow sunless tanning lotion all over after my shower, including on my face. This stuff also seems to help my face. Ever since I started using the Ponds a month or so ago and the combination/oily blend of the Olay (about 2 months ago but had been using the dry sensitive skin blend for almost 2 years), I have less acne and less white heads.

I can't promise that this will help you as you may have very different skin than me, but, give it a shot and see how it works for you.

Take care and keep in touch.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
(female)

sweptaway76 HB User
Re: Recent onset of facial bumps and skin-tags

I have the same problem. I noticed a patch of raised bumps on my neck. Went to my doctor and he told me they were skin tags. He ended up freezing them off, but they came back. I then noticed a few on my eyelids. I went to a plastic surgeon and he lanced those of with a scalpal. That worked great. I also asked him about the clusters of tiny bumps that I have under both eyes. He told me that they were from dry skin. I use moisturizer everyday, so i couldnt understand what he was talking about. Anyway after trying every face lotion in department and drug stores, I found Aveeno Skin Brightening Daily treatment. After 2 weeks, I noticed the tiny white head things getting smaller. It is a small tube, but you only need a pearl size amount for your entire face. This has been one of the best lotions I have tried. I see a big difference.

Closed Thread