It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2006, 01:33 AM   #1
(female)

christinek77 HB User
razor burn..please answer!

I don't shave my pubic hair very often (probably once a month) and it grows back quite quickly. Well I almost ALWAYS get razor burn very, very badly every time I do it. I always use a nice, clean, sharp razor everytime I shave and I use shaving gel or soap. Well every inch of skin on my body is extra sensative, but when I shave my legs or underarms, I don't get any kind of rash or razor burn, yet when I shave my private parts (and I don't shave near my genitals, just under my belt-line to the line where it ends just before it reaches the "down there" area). Anyways, I usually just get a little bit of redness or a couple bumps, but the other day I shaved there and within like a day a cluster of red somewhat painful (non itchy) tiny bumps have appeared. What are some ways I can prevent razor burn besides the option of not shaving there? And is there any kinds of lotions/creams I could put over the bumps? Maybe my skin is sensative to the soaps or gels/creams I am using to shave with, but if that were so wouldn't the irritation/rash show up right after I was shaving, not a day or two afterwards? Please someone answer this is driving me crazy!
Thanks,
Christy

Old 06-30-2006, 06:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User
Re: razor burn..please answer!

Christy,
Have you tried any shave gels with aloe or gels specifically for sensitive skin? Also, get a bottle of aloe and after you shave, slather the area up with it and see if that helps. Are you using enough shave gel when you shave? They recommend not running over the area more than 2 or 3 times because, anymore after that, you are risking irritation. Does your raiser have more than one blade? That can help also since it will lessen the amount of times you have to run over a spot. Try changing the direction in which you run the razor. If you shave downward, try shaving upward or if upward, then shave downward, side to side...whichever way, just try shaving in the opposited direction.

You could also consider waxing or doing laser hair removal. Waxing can be very uncomfortable so, take some aspirin or a pain reliever like advil if you do that. And, if you consider Laser hair removal (which I had done), it too can be painful so, get the topical they have you put on the area. However, only about a month or so after my last laser hair removal treatment, they came up with a new laser that is painless but, the med spa that I went to claims that they are the only ones who have that laser so, I don't know if that painless laser is in your area yet and, I would wait until it is there if I were you based on the pain I experienced with the regular laser.

One last thing is to go to a dermatologist and see if they can recommend anything for you.

But, if you are going to continue to shave, slather up afterwards with aloe. That may or may not help you...it is worth a shot.

Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2006, 08:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User
Re: razor burn..please answer!

Letting the hair grow back fully before shaving it again often CAUSES razor burn. It is more irritating to the skin to shave alot of hair once in a while, than it is to shave a little everyday. When you shave infrequently you have to run over the area several times for a clean shave, and if you shave more often your skin will get used to it and the bumps will lessen.

Here are a couple of tips that should help:

Use an [U]electric shaver[/U] instead of a blade, and use it every day or every other day. Do not let more than 2 days pass between using it again or you'll have to pull out the razor as electric shavers can only cut short regrowth. The [U]cheap ones with the foil band across are the best [/U]-- the ones with the circles can cause irritation. I NEVER get razor burn or bumps when I use my electric shaver, but on the odd days I just shave it with a razor (too much regrowth) the bumps reappear.

Use a product specifically for razor burn and apply after shaving with a razor. I use Bikini Relief by Alexandria but I'm sure there are others out there.

Hope this helps!

Closed Thread