It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 12:35 AM   #1
(male)

Electricchild HB User
Cracked skin near very sides of the mouth (where upper meets lower).

Does anyone here seem to get this in the summer? The outer skin near the sides of my mouth simply breaks and it's really painful if I open my mouth too wide, or if anything acidic touches the cracks due to it getting inside. I have tried so many things, lotions, ointments, hydrocortisone cream, vaseline (petroleum jelly). NOTHING seems to get rid of this! Thankfully it goes away come end of september, but I just can't eat properly, talk to people due to my shyness of them seeing my horrible looking mouth, and the pain is just unbearable sometimes.

For anyone with this problem, what do you generally do to avoid it? Is it an eczema related issue with you? Or just simply seasonal? Also, what kinds of medication do you suggest I use? Almost every medication I see at the store is for the actual dryness of the lips, but I don't seem to have that much of a problem with chapped lips. I just want the cracked edges to be removed.

Thank you very much for your responses!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Electricchild; 07-17-2006 at 12:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User
Re: Cracked skin near very sides of the mouth (where upper meets lower).

Hi there-
I believe the technical term is "Cheilosis," which is basically from yeast. It probably occurs for you in the summer because of heat and humidity. You need to get an anti-fungal cream to treat the problem and avoid licking the area. Google to see pictures and usually they show extreme cases but maybe it would help you. You can get medicine over the counter or make an appointment with your GP, Dermatologist or dentist. Hope this helps.
Bella

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
(male)

Electricchild HB User

Wow! You are very helpful! I will be sure to try everything you just suggested. Thanks!

Old 07-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User

Hey, I've gotten that before too, though not for the entire summer. I haven't gotten it in a while though (knock on wood!) but when I do get it, it only lasts a week or so. I think I remember using Ambesol for it, and that worked pretty well, but i'm not 100% sure.... Anyways, good luck... And let us know what ends up working for you!

Old 07-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

Electricchild,
There are a few things I can suggest. One thing is to try not to eat too many acidic things. Some people tend to be more sensitive about certain foods and, that sensitivity can manifest itself in or around our mouths. Acid is one of those no nos for some people. So, try staying away from lemonade, red pasta sauces, tomatoes, citrus fruits. These are all things that we tend to gobble up more in the summer than any other time of year. This problem may just be diet related for you. The second thing I can suggest is to get some Abreva. They sound like cold sores and Abreva is a God send on cold sores and even Kankor (sp) sores on the inside of your mouth. Even though Abreva isn't inexpensive, it is well worth the price and lasts for quite some time. I bought a tube of it that lasted me about 5 years before I had to replace it.
Another thing I can suggest is to go to your local vitamin store like GNC and ask for an enzyme supplement. That will help you digest any of those more acidic foods you might not be able to stay away from. But, just to be safe and make sure that what you have isn't worse or contageous, go see your dermatologist or PCP and have them take a look at it. It may be something that you may need to treat with an antibiotic or it may be nothing more than something you can treat with what I suggested above but, better safe than sorry.
Take care and keep in touch.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

Just a thought......I have gotten this many times and it is painful......... I discovered it was my toothpaste. Try using a very mild one. I have good luck with AIM but any of the stronger ones and I end up with the cracks and it takes a week or two to clear up with a dot of neosporin at night under a good lip balm!

Old 07-21-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
(male)

Electricchild HB User

[QUOTE=fusionqueen]Just a thought......I have gotten this many times and it is painful......... I discovered it was my toothpaste. Try using a very mild one. I have good luck with AIM but any of the stronger ones and I end up with the cracks and it takes a week or two to clear up with a dot of neosporin at night under a good lip balm![/QUOTE]

Interestingly, I have been using AIM for many years now. Hating Glasses, I think you are correct about my diet. My mouth seems to get aggravated as a whole (gums, sides of mouth etc) whenever I eat/drink too acidic of foods. It may be due to yeast and I will be sure to go to the vitamin store and see what I can find. I will let you know my condition in a couple weeks. Thanks everyone for your responses!

Old 07-21-2006, 11:32 PM   #8
(female)

csdcc HB User

Do you know vitamin B2 deficiency. you can try to take vitamin B 2 tablet. or Vitamin B complex
we do take them when we have cracked lips or very sides of the mouth.

Last edited by csdcc; 07-21-2006 at 11:33 PM.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:13 AM   #9
(female)

trishq HB User

I used to have that all the time- sometimes it hurt so bad- I hated to yawn plus I hated people to see it- old nasty looking sores iin the corners of my mouth! Anyway- that is usually caused by a deficiency of vitamin B2- also called Riboflavin. I got some B-complex vitamins and mine went away. Surgery,stress,severe illness, psychiatric/psycological problems (all leading to stress) can use up alot of B vitamins to cope with the stress put on your adrenal glands. Drinking too much alcohol can also deplete B2 levels.Take 5-25 mgs. daily but you must take it in a B complex form- with all the other B vitamins or it will knock the other Bs out of whack. Best just to get a multi vitamin stress formula which will have extra B amounts. mine hasn't come back in 5 months. Good luck.

Closed Thread