It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
(female)

marlene1986 HB User
facial skin problem

hello i would just like to apologise to everyone who read my thread and to those who have tried to help me as i have described my skin problem wrong, the dark lines either side of my eyes fade and come back so i dont know if it will be melasma. the dark patch around my mouth is what i described wrong, i thought it was the darker skin the was the problem but as i have been looking at it more i see that i have a very pale circle around my lips wich makes the skin around the pale bit look darker but i think its the same as the rest of my skin it is the pale bit thats the problem, it sounds like vitiligo but doesnt have such an obvious edge as the pictures that ive seen. when im hot and my face goes red theres a patch below my bottom lip and from my top lip to my nose stays pale. i also have some sort of blemish to the side of my bottom lip that will not budge, i dont know if this is related to the pale circle or not. please can someone help me?
also i live in the uk and dont know how to see a dermatologist so id greatly appreciate it if anyone had any suggestions to help there aswell?
thankyou very much for your time
marlene

Last edited by marlene1986; 07-25-2006 at 07:32 AM.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
(female)

alltaurus HB User
Re: facial skin problem

Sounds like Melasma, a very common skin disorder. Though it can affect anyone, young women with brownish skin tones are at greatest risk.

Melasma is often associated with the female hormones estrogen and progesterone. It is especially common in pregnant women, women who are taking oral contraceptives ("the pill"), and women taking hormone replacement therapy during menopause.

Sun exposure is also a strong risk factor for melasma. It is particularly common in tropical climates.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2006, 02:58 AM   #3
(female)

marlene1986 HB User

i just had a baby 5 weeks ago could it be related to that and if so will it go away by itself? thankyou very much for your help!

Old 07-19-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

Marlene,
When I read your post yesterday, I almost posted back asking if you were recently pregnant. I have heard of Melasma but couldn't remember the name of it and, I didn't want to be so bold as to ask such a question. But, from your description, that is exactly what I thought it was. I know less about it then the other poster but, as far as I can remember, from what I read about it a year or so ago, it doesn't just go away by itself but, go see your dermatologist to have him or her properly diagnose it and inform you of treatment if any.

Congrats on your newest family member!
Take care and keep in touch!

Old 07-25-2006, 07:13 AM   #5
(female)

marlene1986 HB User

i would just like to say thankyou very much for your help!!

Old 07-25-2006, 07:29 AM   #6
(female)

marlene1986 HB User
Exclamation Re: facial skin problem

hello i would just like to apologise to everyone who read my thread and to those who have tried to help me as i have described my skin problem wrong, the dark lines either side of my eyes fade and come back so i dont know if it will be melasma. the dark patch around my mouth is what i described wrong, i thought it was the darker skin the was the problem but as i have been looking at it more i see that i have a very pale circle around my lips wich makes the skin around the pale bit look darker but i think its the same as the rest of my skin it is the pale bit thats the problem, it sounds like vitiligo but doesnt have such an obvious edge as the pictures that ive seen. when im hot and my face goes red theres a patch below my bottom lip and from my top lip to my nose stays pale. i also have some sort of blemish to the side of my bottom lip that will not budge, i dont know if this is related to the pale circle or not. please can someone help me?
also i live in the uk and dont know how to see a dermatologist so id greatly appreciate it if anyone had any suggestions to help there aswell?
thankyou very much for your time
marlene

Closed Thread