It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
(male)

Phoenixprouk HB User
Mole Removal - Methods and effects

Well, basically I've a mole on my chin, its almost skin coloured though slightly red and it sticks out.

Although I want it removed mainly for cosmetic reasons, I also seem to catch it regularly shaving which is becoming frustrating.

For this type of mole what kind of methods of removal are there and are there any scars/effects that may be present.

Also, can this be done on the NHS (To anyone who knows) ?

Old 07-25-2006, 06:10 AM   #2
(male)

Phoenixprouk HB User
Unhappy Re: Mole Removal - Methods and effects

anybody at all ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
(male)

Velius1 HB User
Re: Mole Removal - Methods and effects

Ive had moles removed from my face. Basically what is done is that part of your face is frozen via needle (painful depending on where it is), and then a scaple scrapes the mole out, then stitches.

Use vitamine E afterwards to prevent scarring.

I had a mole removed from my chin, as well as under my nose, let me tell you, the needle hurt under my nose ALOT more than the chin, its a very painless procedure.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

Phoenixprouk,
Depending on how deep or big it is, you may or may not need stitches as Velius mentioned. I just had two moles removed 2 weeks ago tomorrow. I had one removed from my back and it was not very deep. In fact, it was so shallow (if that is a way to describe it) that it didn't even bleed. On the other hand, the one I had removed from my leg was rather deep and, while my doctor didn't stitch it, it was deep enough that it could have been stitched and, I am guessing that the only reason it wasn't was because he wanted to leave it open in case more had to be removed later. That one bled quite a bit for about 3 days. Anyway, the shot wasn't great but, less painful than a bee sting and I felt a small pinch when they were being removed. Nothing to get too torked about.

The mole on your chin sounds kind of like the one I have on the right side of my chin. It is nothing to be concerned about but, if it is causing you issues with shaving, you might see your derm and let him or her know that it isn't a cosmetic issue so much as a practical issue. I don't know if derms are in the habit of removing a blemish for reasons other than biopsy. If you are cutting it, it may becomre more of a problem down the road so, the best I can suggest is that you have a frank discussion with your derm. I can't remember if you have seen your derm yet and if so, what he or she recommended for you. But, if you haven't seen one, that would be my next step.

Take care and keep in touch.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
(female)

gazer HB User
Question Re: Mole Removal - Methods and effects

I am currently using bio-t ointment to attempt to remove a mole about the size of a small pencil eraser. Just wondering if anyone has used this product and could provide any feedback? I have been using it for about 6 days. I think the mole looks like it is getting close to coming off, but that may just be my wishful thinking. Any input? I am trying to avoid having it removed by a dr. b/c my insurance won't cover it and I have heard it costs anywhere from 80-125 to remove it.

Last edited by gazer; 07-26-2006 at 06:44 PM.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

Please, first make sure it is a mole. I'm not trying to discourage you but removing moles surgically sometimes leaves behind scar tissue that can sometimes be worse than the mole itself. This happened to my son. If you choose this route make sure you go to a professional who is experienced not only in removing moles, but also experienced in the cosmetic aspect you desire.
I used castor oil and baking soda to remove the one from my neck and it's been gone for over a year with next to no scar tissue. But, removing it this way has it's drawbacks. It gets a lot bigger before it gets smaller and can be rather unsightly to look at until it does drop off. It may even get longer and dangle as it did mine. It may not be the method for you unless you are willing to wear a band aid over it. I can't remember exactly how long it took mine, but I think it was 2-3 weeks before the mole actually fell off.
I can also remember, it was very very itchy.
The best thing for you to do right now, is to search out your options and decide from there what approach you wish to take.

Closed Thread