It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Exclamation Angry, itchy, peeling palms

Greetings,
I am going out of my mind with itchy, painful, cracking skin on my palms and fingers. I also have an incredible build-up of dried skin on my scalp, with bald patches. I I have been told I have eczema, psoriatic arthritis, lupus rash and spongiatic dermatitis. Maybe I have one of them....maybe all. Bottom line is I CAN'T STAND IT ANY LONGER!!! I have tried every ointment, cream and lotion there is. I do not touch anything because I have to wear white cotton gloves almost all the time. I shower with rubber gloves and do just about anything I can think of....or get advice about....to NO avail. I NEED HELP! I notice that my hands are especially red and swollen by night but almost normal in color by morning. Just when I think they are starting to heal the cycle starts over again.

Any suggestions out there?!?

Thank you for listening (reading) to my ranting.
KC

The following user gives a hug of support to Krazykcio:
mnerwin (01-26-2012)
Old 09-17-2006, 12:39 AM   #2
(female)

sobs HB User
Re: Angry, itchy, peeling palms

Hi Krazy........

So sorry for you. I have the horrid itchy skin splitting palms also. Are yours on the meaty/fleshy part of your palm...opposite side from your thumb? It also affects a finger or two sometimes. I have not asked my doctor about it recently. I have so many other health problems.......

And, like you, it gets unbearable at times. There is absolutely nothing that I can come up with, that may be causing this.

Just wanted to let you know that during the day, I use benadryl cream.....only because it helps a bit with the itching.........but, omg, does it ever burn on the broken skin!!!!!!!!! I also take benadryl pills when it gets to the unbearable stage.

At night, when it gets really bad, I cover my hands with aquaphor, and wear big socks over my hands. It doesn't cure, but it definitely helps.

You've probably tried these. If not...........give it a try.

I wish you lots of luck.
sobs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User

Hi,
Thank you so much for your kind response. I have been on a course of prednisone because it was so bad that I couldn't use my hands. Today I went to see the head Dermatologist and she was great, but wasn't able to give me much hope. I've been told that I probably have psoriatic arthritis, spongiatic dermatitis, discoid lupus lesions and just plain old ezcema. Right now she seems to think I am in the midst of a severe attack of psoriasis. She had photos taken of my body because I'm such a freak! I may be going on an oral medication, but like you I have a bunch of other physical problems (like lupus, vasculitis, etc.) so she needs to confer with my Doc's. Meanwhile I am enjoying the relief that the prednisone has given me. She warned me that I will probably head downhill when I finish the prednisone....which will be tonight! YUUUKKKKKK! I hope your hands are better soon. Kathy

Old 09-30-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
(female)

pweaverling HB User

I had that condition is the palm of my hand for years. Then someone suggested I use "Sulfadene" which is used for skin conditions on dogs. Nothing I tried ever worked, but this did. It not only worked, it's been 3 years and hasn't come back. Good luck

Old 09-30-2006, 06:30 PM   #5
(female)

pweaverling HB User

I had that condition is the palm of my hand for years. I would scratch it bloody because it itched so much. Then someone suggested I use "Sulfadene" which is used for skin conditions on dogs. Nothing I tried ever worked, but this did. It not only worked, it's been 3 years and hasn't come back. Good luck

Old 10-03-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User

Thank you for your advice. I'm not sure if Sulfadene is an option, since I'm allergic to sulfa drugs. Do you know if the two sulfa's are the same? Meanwhile my doc is seeing me on Wed. to discuss putting me on Methatrexite (sp?) I am so desperate now that I'd try an acid bath!!! I'll keep you posted. Have a great day/night. Kathy

Old 10-03-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
(female)

sobs HB User

Hi Kathy,

First of all...........yes sulfadine is a sulfa drug. Sometimes topical treatments do not cause allergic reactions as the oral medication does. BUT, if you are inclined to try this, ask your doctor first, regarding topical vs. oral. IF he says it's okay, please only try a tiny tiny spot treatment first. Then if that is okay, I would still only increase in small increments. Sulfa is nasty stuff, if you are allergic. I know. It also has bad interactions with blood thinners, diabetic medications, birth control pills.....and also, fyi, can have bad interaction with methotrexate.

Ummmm............... I'm so sorry you are still going through this. It never seems to go away, does it. Or, if it does, it comes right back with a vengeance!

I just wanted to let you know that I was using Palmers Cocoa Butter lotion on my hands, and body. I have OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and I am a "hand washer". I stupidly assumed that because I washed my hands so much....that this was the cause of the itchy palms. I thought about the soap, the lotions, etc....all of the things I'm sure you have gone through a thousand times. I could never figure out why this only occured on my palms, if it was my soap or lotion, etc. OH, and I did talk to my doctor about it. He said maybe latex allergy, so I got latex free everything. Doesn't seem to matter though.

Sorry..........getting long winded. Just wanted to let you know that I recently started using the [B]original[/B] Johnson's Baby Lotion in the pink bottle, and my palms have cleared up for the most part. It's only been about a week of usage, but you may want to give this a try. At least this is something that would be innocuous, and topical. This may be just one of those rare few days of relief, but, thank God, no matter what it is.

I'd also like to caution you regarding your wearing of the rubber gloves and white gloves all day. With all of the irritation, you do not need to "smother" your hands, causing sweating or moisture, even if it is mild. This will only help this bacteria/virus/fungus to survive.

Hang in there kiddo. Oh, also, a hundred years ago, before this hand mess, when I had very dry skin, a doctor told me to stay away from lanolin. Again, it had to do with the moisture idea. I know that we get so desperate, that we start trying anything/everything. Maybe simple is better, a la, Johnson's Baby Lotion.....??????

sobs

Old 10-05-2006, 01:45 AM   #8
(female)

almondjoy HB User

I have had red, dry, flaky, peeling, burning, unbearably itchy palms (both hands) for 10 months now. I am about to go crazy. Sometimes I will scratch them raw, because they itch so, so badly. I have tried a dozen hand lotions. Nothing works. I have been using the oil, from an oil of prim rose capsule, every night, before bed. I have used vitamin E, too. These help....but it is far from being a cure.

I am about to ask a doctor, for a prescription.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User

Thank you both for the advice etc. I woke up yesterday with patches and blotches all over my body. The bottom of my feet are now as bad as my palms and I can't stand it anymore! So I went to see my new Dermatologist and had a complete meltdown. Bottom line is....if I pass my blood test (liver function etc.) and if my Rheumatologist and Neurologist approve the plan I will stop taking plaquenil and will be started on Methotrexate. I pray that it stops this madness. It hit me the other day that I hardly remember being able to use my hands without being in pain. It comes down to a quality of life issue. Oh well....I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #10
(female)

sobs HB User

Hi Kathy,

I am so so sorry for what you are going through. I cannot imagine this happening on my feet as well.

I just wanted to tell you, in case you don't know, that methotrexate [B]is[/B] an okay drug. Please do not be afraid of it, because it is a chemotherapy drug. Yes it is, but that is a much higher dose. You will be given a low dose. I was on it one time for rheumy, and had no significant side effects. I stopped taking it, because I was "un-diagnosed with rheumy"

I hope that the new dermy at least gave you something that would maybe help with the itching.......??? Sounds like you have a lot of auto-immune stuff going on, and I am wondering if they tested you for Hepatitis C?

Please know you are in my prayers!

sobs

Old 10-17-2006, 05:45 PM   #11
(female)

sobs HB User

Hi KC,

Just wondering how you are doing. Have you gotten any help yet?

I also wanted to know if you have been tested for Kawasaki's Disease???
It is another auto-immune disease, and can cause horrible skin problems.

I so hope that you are doing better.

sobs

Old 10-17-2006, 07:30 PM   #12
(female)

sobs HB User
Exclamation Re: Angry, itchy, peeling palms

Hi KC,

I meant to tell you this..........don't know if it will help or not.... but...

when you feel like you cannot stand your situation anymore, and
your doctor is not helping you, or not listening to you, or telling you that you have to wait for whatever reason, and he/she is not giving you any immediate relief, it is VERY okay to tell the doctor that what they are telling you, or doing for you is NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!!! It is okay to tell them that you HAVE to get some immediate relief, while waiting on something else.

Hope this helps. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

sobs

Old 10-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User

Hi Sobs,
Just wanted you to know that I really appreciate all the support. I apologize for not responding sooner, but I was in the middle of moving into a new home. Between the packing, unpacking etc., along with the resulting skin trauma I was unable to type. On top of it we purchased a laptop. Unfortunately I can only use it when my hands are not greasy. When that is the case they are usually flakey, which isn't exactly good for the computer either. I can't seem to win!

As for an update, my new dermatologist is working diligently to help me out, especially since my body is now just about covered in ezcema and psoriasis lesions and rashes. As we speak she is in the process of trying to hook up with my other Doc's to get a consensus on whether or not to start me on methotrexate. It seems to be a no-brainer since nothing else has worked. Unfortunately, though, I have so many other medical complications that the "team" has to confer. It seems to be taking a very long time, but I feel as though I am being "heard" and that I will be feeling better real soon.

I hope you are well. Again, thank you for caring. KC

Old 11-17-2006, 06:53 AM   #14
(female)

angelamaria HB User

be very careful using prednisone - i too had a severe breakout of eczema and was given 2 seperate cycles of oral prednisone and it cleared amazingly - however as soon as you stop the prednisone it comes back worse than the original breakout - i also had kenalog injections in my hand and then just a shot in the arm and while you on it the symptoms are gone, but as soon as you stop its horrible. It also caused a host of other problems, menstrual irregularities, migraines, high blood pressure.

Last edited by angelamaria; 11-17-2006 at 06:55 AM.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #15
(female)

almondjoy HB User

I was prescribed Kenalog gel. It helps the horrible itching, but the red. peeling skin is still dry and flaking off. I am also using Eucerin. I like it. My palms are not totally healed, but they feel better.

Closed Thread