It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2006, 05:24 AM   #1

Walt-NJ HB User
Removing hundreds of moles

I have hundreds of moles...literally...

I spent alot of time down the shore from when I was a small child up until early adulthood.

I would regularly burn, peel, burn again, peel, then tan EVERY YEAR!

Well, in my twenties hundreds of moles appeared, mostly on my back. I have significant sun damage as well, but could probably live with just that.

I've had melanoma and had several lymph nodes removed... luckily, it didn't quite reach my lymph nodes yet. I consider myself VERY lucky.

Anyway, for purely aesthetic reasons, I'm considering having many, many moles removed. My dermatologist said he was qualified to do it and really didn't need to go to a plastic surgeon. The plastic surgeon would be more expensive and results would be very similar.

Has anyone ever done this before? I know I'd have to pay for it and figured I'd do like 20 or so moles at a time. My back and even my sides are the areas I'd like to "thin out" as far as the moles go. I figure I'd like to remove about 100 moles or so.

Your thoughts are appreciated...

Old 08-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User
Re: Removing hundreds of moles

Walt,
How is your doctor planning on removing them? I am only familiar with the "Scoop/Scrape" like procedure. I just had 2 removed myself. One from my leg and one from my back. The problem is the healing process. The deeper they have to dig to remove the mole, the bigger the mess and the longer the healing process. I am into a month (going on 5 weeks) since my 2 were removed. The one on my back still has a minor pit and is bright pink. Pretty noticeable and it was relatively small. The one on my leg only just started healing about 3 days ago (remember that I am nearly 5 weeks into my recovery). It is big and ugly. If you have hundreds removed at a time, you are looking at some pain and a very lenghthy healing time. However, if your doctor is planning on removing them with a laser...I think they can do that...I don't know enough about that to tell you about your recovery time. I think it is semi painful and, I can't be sure, but, I think it may take more than one visit to get it done on some of the moles...depending on their size and how deeply they go into your skin. You might call your dermatologist and ask him or her what procedure he or she plans on using and ask about healing time. Find out through your insurance company and your doctor how much it is going to cost. Get all the facts before you make a decision. Perhaps, also see if your doctor has any pictures of past procedures so you can get an idea of what it is going to look like once it is done. I simply wouldn't suggest you get so many done at one time if your doctor is planning on using the method of digging the moles out. It really is very tramatic for the skin depending on the sizes of the moles.

I am glad to hear that your melanoma didn't spread! I hope it continues that way for you!

Take care and keep in touch!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #3

Walt-NJ HB User

I want to get hundreds removed over the course of MANY visits. I think he mentioned cutting them out and using dissolving stitches. I was thinking like 10-15 at a time.

I have to go in to see him about it, so I'm just going to wait for my November appointment to do so.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:37 PM   #4
(male)

WildBillTD HB User

I've had hundreds removed.....

In 2001 I discovered my first melanoma on my foot. It was successfully removed w/o spreading to lymph nodes

In 2003 I had a second melanoma removed from my back w/o spreading to lymph nodes..

My Dr. and I made the decision to remove all the suspicious moles from my body. So every week since 2001, when my first melanoma was discovered, I've gone to my Dr. and he punch biopsies two each week.

It's a hardcore way to go about it but it's amazing tne number of basil, squamous, etc. that have been taken off.

I had a squamous in my right ear and had a skin graft (almost lost the ear) from my chest. I had a surgery to my lower back with a huge incision from another skin cancer, and it goes on and on...

To make a long story short, it you're a hardass, hardcore person with a high tolerance for pain and discomfort, have them all removed.......it's saved my life.......maybe yours, too....Good luck!!!!

Old 10-17-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
(male)

WildBillTD HB User

I've had hundreds removed.....

In 2001 I discovered my first melanoma on my foot. It was successfully removed w/o spreading to lymph nodes

In 2003 I had a second melanoma removed from my back w/o spreading to lymph nodes..

My Dr. and I made the decision to remove all the suspicious moles from my body. So every week since 2001, when my first melanoma was discovered, I've gone to my Dr. and he punch biopsies two each week.

It's a hardcore way to go about it but it's amazing tne number of basil, squamous, etc. that have been taken off.

I had a squamous in my right ear and had a skin graft (almost lost the ear) from my chest. I had a surgery to my lower back with a huge incision from another skin cancer, and it goes on and on...

To make a long story short, it you're a hardass, hardcore person with a high tolerance for pain and discomfort, have them all removed.......it's saved my life.......maybe yours, too....Good luck!!!!

Old 10-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #6
(female)

BeckyBailey HB User

I had nine removed at one office visit. She numbed the area and cut them off, though she could have froze them. It was not a problem at all. I was surprised that the office fee was huge, but the lab was pretty cheap (with insurance).

Old 11-15-2006, 11:19 AM   #7
(female)

spinaltap HB User

[QUOTE=Walt-NJ]I have hundreds of moles...literally...

I spent alot of time down the shore from when I was a small child up until early adulthood.

I would regularly burn, peel, burn again, peel, then tan EVERY YEAR!

Well, in my twenties hundreds of moles appeared, mostly on my back. I have significant sun damage as well, but could probably live with just that.

I've had melanoma and had several lymph nodes removed... luckily, it didn't quite reach my lymph nodes yet. I consider myself VERY lucky.

Anyway, for purely aesthetic reasons, I'm considering having many, many moles removed. My dermatologist said he was qualified to do it and really didn't need to go to a plastic surgeon. The plastic surgeon would be more expensive and results would be very similar.

Has anyone ever done this before? I know I'd have to pay for it and figured I'd do like 20 or so moles at a time. My back and even my sides are the areas I'd like to "thin out" as far as the moles go. I figure I'd like to remove about 100 moles or so.

Your thoughts are appreciated...[i have just noticed about two small
moles on by back i am over 60 and also was in the sun many times. i am
afraid of going to the dermatologist do you know of anything in the
pharmacy that might remove them. they appear to be round and not
discolored but i taught they got a little darker. i dont know if they are
related to age or something more. anyone with knowledge of this
please reply

Last edited by moderator2; 11-15-2006 at 08:39 PM. Reason: posted contact info

Closed Thread