It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
(male)

Warren123 HB User
First Visit to Dermatologist - 3 Biopsies! :(

I went to a dermatologist for the first time in my life recently. I should have gone earlier because I am relatively fair skinned, have had some skin cancer in my family and used to get sun burned as a kid in the summer before the better sun screens came out (I'm 40 years old). I joke that I have the skin of an 80 year old because my skin tone is somewhat poor probably due to sun damage in the past, although I have generally been careful and kept out of the sun unprotected for the past 5 to 10 years. I have a lot of moles especially on my back but also on my stomach, chest of various sizes. I also have a lot of "skin tags" mostly under my arms.

Anyway, the dermatologist examined me and took a shaving biopsy of three of my moles. I was very alarmed by this although I have no experience with dermatology/dermatologists. I should get results back from the biopsies in about 10 days.

Any comments? I realize worrying does me no good, but has anyone else ever been to the dermatologist and gotten three biopsies at once? Do dermatologists often take a biopsy if there is little chance of cancer? Was he being extra cautious or am I fried?

Old 08-14-2006, 08:04 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User
Re: First Visit to Dermatologist - 3 Biopsies! :(

Warren,
Try not to worry. Derms are precautious. I went a little over a month ago and had to biopsies. They came back with both my moles having slightly abnormal properties. So, basically, I just have to keep an eye on those two moles and others on my body...which I have alot of at 33 since I too was out in the sun alot as a kid...and make sure that the two he took off don't "re-pigment". So, try to relax until you have a reason not too. I know it is scary. But, try not to worry right now.
Take care and keep in touch!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread