It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 12:38 AM   #1
(male)

Michael1234 HB User
Itchy skin but no rash or bite marks?

Lately I have been very itchy when I'm on or in my bed. I believe it is my bed because I don't have that problem nearly as bad as when I'm in it. I recently moved into an apartment about 2 months ago and this started to happened a few weeks ago. It has just been getting worse as the days go by. I have tried many things but nothing has worked.

[B]I do not have any signs of bitings or a rash[/B], yet I keep feeling like something is biting or jumping on my skin. The feeling does not happen in any specific places while I'm on the bed. I do not see any bugs at all. If there are they are too small for me to see.

What I always have on:
- Mattress cover ( the non allergenic kind with a zipper)
- Pillow cover ( the non allergenic kind with a zipper)

What I have tried:
- I changed my detergent to a non toxic non allergenic soap.
- I washed everything over and over again.
- I have wiped down my bed cover with ammonia

What I have tried in the past (last summer) and it worked.. till now:
- I threw my bed out, my sheets, my pillows, everything and bought everything new.

Obviously I cannot do this again because it is too expensive. It certainly solved the problem but now its back.

Because I do not have any furniture, my bed is where I sit and relax. Now I can't even do that. I just don't know what to do anymore. I feel like I'm going crazy and I'm feeling a little screwed. I cant afford to replace everything again... there has to be something else going on.

Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2006, 07:11 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User
Re: Itchy skin but no rash or bite marks?

Michael,
I know that this is another money drainer but, you might consider calling an exterminator. Call someone like Orkin and have them come out. Or, try calling them first and explain what you are experiencing. By your explanation, they may be able to diagnose what is going on and they may be able to tell you how you can handle it yourself. But, chances are, they will want to come out. If it is bed bugs...and they are microscopic...they might have something that they can use to see them and they might have a treatment for it. I know it sucks that it will cost you money but, in the long run, if it takes care of the problem permanently...wouldn't you rather pay the money now than keep paying a larger sum to replace things that are just going to keep getting reinfected? The problem with bed bugs is that they don't just go away with replacement mattresses and bedding. They have to be eradicated. It is entirely possible that they were there in the carpet when you moved in.

I am not saying that is definitely what they are but, it sure sounds like it might be that to me.

Take care and keep in touch.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
(male)

Michael1234 HB User

Thanks for the post

I am considering what you have recommended but I'm really hoping its something else. I doubt that it is bed bugs because I feel the itch at any part of the day and like I said I see no signs of bugs.

I did a huge and very very slow and thorough vacuum job of my bed and carpet leaving no corner untouched. I know if its bed bugs that this will not get rid of it.
My girlfriend has mentioned to me that she hasn't felt like itching at all when she is over that I'm the only one. It could be an allergic reaction to some form of mold. If they are bugs, why aren't they attacking her as well?

This week end I will be stocking up on lots of cleaners and I will be cleaning this place from top to bottom.

I will be keeping up with the vacuum jobs on a daily basis, however if things do not improve in a week I may have to notify the management of this apartment since that is what is specified in my lease.

I havent totally written off any possibilities yet but I have some doubts.
If anyone has some ideas please let me know.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:19 AM   #4
(male)

Jeff in PA HB User

Hello,

I started itching about 1 year ago. Sometimes it's my fore arms, then it can be my shins, fingers, toes, tops of my feet and even my chest. I have tried creams such as Gold Bond, Eucerin etc. It flairs up daily and the only relief I get is when I take Benadryl or the generic form of benedryl. I have had no known allergies my whole life. There is no rash visible just itching. No one else in the house hold has it. I have not changed any products over the past year or prior to getting the itches. I do not have a clue as to what it can be.
Any suggestions. I visited my doctor about this but he had no explanation for me. My next step will be to see an allergist I guess. Anybody else have or had this condition. Any relief out there?

Jeff

Old 10-18-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
(male)

gnznroses HB User

bed bugs are not microscopic. this is why people often see them in hotel rooms. they did a report on it on some 60 minutes-type show. you can see em.

i've been itching since march. can't find a cause. i have bumps and spots but i dunno if it's a cause of the itch or an effect of my scrathing.

Last edited by gnznroses; 10-18-2006 at 11:20 AM.

Closed Thread