It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
(female)

sanmarie HB User
Skin Tags/Witch Hazel and Clear Nail Polish

Hi,

I'm new to the board and read about getting rid of skin tags with either witch hazel or clear nail polish. My questions are for people who have used either one of these methods. Did you have success with either method? How long did it take? Did you try do these things and it didn't work?

Right now I have been putting witch hazel on my neck for the past two days and have had clear nail polish on about 6 of them on my torso since yesterday morning. After applying the clear nail polish I also put some on the pad of a bandaid and covered each one with the bandaid. I'm not planning on looking at them until tomorrow. Should I be putting new nail polish on them daily?

I have cut them off before with a sharp cuticle scissors after numbing them with ice but really hate doing that and have lots of them where I can't see to do that anyway. I've also tried putting a tight thread around them and that just plain hurts too much. I am constantly getting new ones, so I'd like to find a way to get rid of them myself instead of going to the doctor all of the time.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Sandi

Old 09-24-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
(female)

sanmarie HB User
Re: Skin Tags/Witch Hazel and Clear Nail Polish

Surely there must be someone who has tried these methods. Please post with your results.

Update on my experience so far ......
I put clear nail polish on 5 skins tags on my torso on Friday morning. After putting it on I immediately put some on the pad of a bandaid and put it over the tags. This morning (Sunday) I removed the bandaids and the tags are unchanged. The nail polish appeared to be gone and the pads of the bandaid were hard. I'm wondering if it was because I put the wet bandaid over it and that absorbed what I had put on the tag. So I chose two this morning to keep working on. This time I first twisted the tag as much as I could stand and then, while keeping it twisted, I put a large amount of the clear nail polish on and waited (a very long time - seemed to take forever) for it to dry. Then I took the end (sticky part) of a bandaid and cut them off and put one over each tag and threw the pad part away.

As far as the witch hazel is going .... I had read here to put it on three times a day. Unfortunately I got lazy and only did it once a day on my neck. One tag appears to be a little harder than before - not sure if anything is actually happening with it or if it is just wishful thinking on my part.

I've read that bloodroot helps with these. Has anyone used this on them? If so, where do you get it?

Will keep you posted. PLEASE post if you have tried either of these methods before.

Thanks,
Sandi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I cut mine off with a small pair of cuticle scissors.. it's faster. so I haven't tried those methods to give you any advice on them.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:04 AM   #4
(female)

sanmarie HB User

Okay - here is my update.

I never heard from anyone who tried this, so I'm not sure how long it is supposed to take. I think that it might work to some degree but it seems to take a lot of time. I did take one of them, twist it, and put nail polish on it and then cover it with a bandaid. I could see that something was happening to it because the tip of it started to turn black. I was working on 6 pretty good sized ones on my torso. The bandaids started to irritate my skin and I don't know how good it is to keep putting nail polish on your skin. So I went and bought cuticle scissors and cut them all off this morning in a matter of 20 minutes. It took that long because of how long they bleed. At first I was going to try freezing them with an ice cube to reduce the pain, but if you do it really quickly there really isn't a need for that. It is just a small pinch. I sterlized everything and put a little bit of cotton covered in triple antiobiotic cream over it and then secured that with a bandaid.

As far as the small ones on my neck, they seem to be getting more and more dried up with the application of the witch hazel, so I am going to continue putting that on my neck. I've secured the help of my daughter to cut off the bigger ones that I can't reach to do myself.

So, what I have learned from my experiment is that both the nail polish and witch hazel seem like they may work, but a lot of time seems to be required. Also, I am not sure how good it is for your skin to keep putting nail polish on it. The cuticle scissors are much quicker. If you keep after them, when they are really tiny, you can barely feel anything at all when you snip them, and they hardly bleed at all.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
(female)

hgnsgirl HB User

Do they stay gone after you cut them off?I know that sounds like a weird question but I have thought about doing just that.
How much do they bleed?I only have two but they are rather large and I don't care about the pain part but the blood part scares me.What is the best way to control the bleeding?
Thanks in advance.

Closed Thread