It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
(male)

mattmatt HB User
Vinegar ok to treat seborrheic dermatitis?

I had a SD outbreak on my chest a few days ago. I've been prescribed Nizoral for such but I want to get away from the topicals and try something more natural.

Since Vinegar's a natural fungicide I tried that. So I started rubbing straight white vinegar on the legions and after a little bit they started to bleed. Maybe it was too strong at full strength. Anyone else have success or other stories about vinegar and SD?

Old 10-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
(female)

fairycake HB User
Re: Vinegar ok to treat seborrheic dermatitis?

Organic apple cider vinegar is usually recommended for SD. I think it's less acidic than white vinegar. You might also want to try diluting it with water although you should probaly use bottled or filtered water rather than chlorinated tap water as chlorine kills the good bacteria needed to fight yeast infections. My SD is pretty good at the moment but I used to find that acv helped alot when I had more severe lesions. I did once use too much though and I think it burned my skin because it just made it even more red and sore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2006, 11:29 PM   #3
(male)

mattmatt HB User

I haven't messed with the small outbreak on my chest since I put the vinegar on it 2 days ago and while it has some slight scabbing still, the lesions are fading away already! I had been prescribed the nizoral shampoo to use on the body and scalp, and the cream to use for the face. The thing is I use the creams for a few week and all is well but then the redness and scaling comes right back. I don't want to really on prescription stuff forever so I think just washing my chest twice a week with some vinegar and using unprocessed honey on my face (haven't tried it yet, but going to get some this week) should do the trick!

Old 10-03-2006, 01:43 AM   #4
(female)

Monkeyboots HB User

Hi Matt and Fairy,

was interested reading about this. I am suffering badly with a fungal infection at the moment. I have spent so much on medicines so far, and am even on tablets (which can have an adverse effect on the liver), to try and get rid of this infection which seems to keep flaring up.

As cider vinegar is a fungicide it may help me too. Any advice on usage? How much water to vinegar etc? It sounds like it has had quite an immediate effect on Matt.

Best wishes
Monkeyboots

Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
(male)

mattmatt HB User

From that one application of straight white vinegar it now look looks like the infection is almost all gone today. I've heard of diluting 1 part water w/ 1 part vinegar. For the body I did it full strength and while it bled a little it seems to have worked as fast if not faster than the nizoral shampoo. If it's on you face, though, I would [B]never [/B]use undiluted vinegar.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:10 PM   #6
(female)

fairycake HB User

I agree, 1 part water to 1 part vinegar. I do think organic apple cider vinegar is best though.

mattmatt, I know that manuka honey has very strong healing properties so you may want to try using that on your face. I've heard of honey being used to treat yeast infections before but, since yeast thrives on sugar, I don't understand how using something which is basically pure sugar could possibly help .

Old 10-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
(male)

mattmatt HB User

Since my SD on the chest is almost gone I figured what the heck and went ahead and did another application of full strength white vinegar. It's funny - the only parts that bleed are the SD patches. Once the chest clears up I plan to do a twice a week wash of 1/2 water and 1/2 Apple cider vinegar on the chest. Hopefully this will prevent any more SD!

As for my face, I've some redness and scaling above my lip and on my cheeks, so yesterday I picked up some raw unprocessed honey from the health food store. I just put on a coating of honey 1/2 an hour ago. It should stay on for 3 hours. I did 90% honey w/ 10% warm water as found on a SD help site. They say to do an application every other day for 4 weeks and then after that maybe only once or twice a week to prevent the SD.

I'll keep you posted on how it works. Wouldn't it be nice to get rid of those prescriptions (scripts are more $ plus who knows what long term side effects could come from using those man-made chemicals?) and be able to prevent your SD with just all-natural treatments once or twice a week?

Closed Thread