It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
(male)

ghunt HB User
Extremely dry skin on knuckles only during winter?

This only seems to have happened in the past couple of years, but whenever winter rolls around and the air starts to get dry, the skin on my knuckles & at the base of my thumb gets extremely dry and scaly...in fact if I don't do anything about it it will start to crack and bleed. I bought some Suave "advanced therapy" hand lotion and have been applying it 3-4 times a day for the past few days, and it's helping a bit but between applications that skin still gets dry and scaly. Anything else I can do or am I just gonna have to keep on it with the lotion?

Old 11-21-2006, 09:28 PM   #2
(female)

Amanda06 HB User
Re: Extremely dry skin on knuckles only during winter?

Hi:
I, too have dry skin, particularly during winter months, from Nov. to early March. Sewing and Outdoor-work makes my dryness aggravate, then I try to avoid as much as I can, but Sewing is one of my hobbies during winter-months.

Like you, I applied many different creams with different brand over the years,... even I went to see a determatogist for this. However, except a short period relief, my dry skin, particularly dryness of the fore-front part of my thumbs and two more fingers kept coming back. Never go away until warm spring-weather showing up.

For the past years, what I have been combatting this problem of Dry Skin, is I put bandages for those affected areas. So far, that's a best answer to dryness of some of my fingers and kuckles/not often. Also, in reading and hearing, wearing a soft cotton-glove(Wal-Mart has) during sleep alleviates dry-skin. But, I haven't done that, yet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2006, 11:23 PM   #3
(male)

wt77 HB User

I think I have the same thing.

In the last couple of days, I've developed what looks like a dark colored rash between my fingers, while the skin on the back of my hands (except for a small nickel sized patch on the back of my left hand) gets white, scaly, flaky, and sore.

In fact, when I put lotion on my hands, the skin on the back of my hand turns white, especially around the knuckles and between my fingers. Also, I can see most of the skin on the backs of my hands. Tonight I also noticed a couple of small red bumps.

I had the same exact issue last year and after using several different brands of medicated creams, it just went away when the weather warmed up, scaly skin, rash, and all.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:25 AM   #4
(female)

Amanda06 HB User

Hi:
I found 'Emu Oil' is extremely helpful to my 'extreme' dry skin, particularly a tip of my right thumb.

I truly appreciate someone posted the thread, 'All skin ....' or the thread describing something like this.

I am truly grateful to have found this site.

Emu-oil, I put all troublesome areas of my body, even my very personal area, because it works great. Prior to this, I applied many different topical cream, both rx and over-the-counter, but they all failed on my 'extreme' skin, except a few days' relief.

Thanks for this site!

Old 12-29-2006, 09:02 AM   #5
(female)

LLLmom HB User

I often have very dry skin which sometimes cracks. One inexpensive, easy remedy is to coat your hands with Vaseline and wear cotton gloves to bed. There are more costly creams out there, but why not give it a try. I've also used Vaseline on my daughter's legs when they became extremely dry, making sure she wore long pyjamas to bed.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
(female)

yogachic HB User

Use Eucerin cream or aquaphor ointment, they are by the lotions, They do cost a little more, but they are so worth it.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:53 AM   #7
(female)

jenl2881 HB User

I suffer from PCOS and often have trouble with dry skin, pimples, and sensitive skin. I always have dry and craked skin on my knuckes, hands, feet, and face (especially on the nose, forhead, and cheeks). I recently started using a producted recommended by Oprah called "Ultra-Balm Udder Balm" and I LOVE it!

I put it on at night before I go to bed (since your skin rejuvinates while you sleep) and after a few days my skin is rarely dry. I also put it on throughout the day. The company says it works for a wide variety of things and that it, being a balm, penetrates the 7 layers of skin. I love organics and all naturals so I really do adore it. They also have a money back guarantee. I got the big one and the small travel container as well (udder balm, or bag balm, has been used for years on the cows so their udders don't get sore from being milked. Now it's in a form that we can use).

I know I sound like a sales person but I am so happy to have nice skin (I get loads of compliments). I hope you have luck with your skin. =)

Closed Thread