It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
(female)

~:~blythe~:~ HB User
Dry Flaky Scalp, Ears & Face

Ive always had a problem with a dry flaky scalp, i can only use head & shoulders sensitive shampoo, cos anything else makes it really really bad. Even with using this, its still not under control.

its mainly worse around my forehead area, where i also get very dry skin. lately i have also had small patches of red, scaly skin.

i get really dry flaky patches behind my ears, and also in the crevises within the ear.

also ive noticed that if i get really hot, my head gets extremely itchy, which obviously doesnt help matters.

any ideas what i may have? ive tried loads of creams etc but nothing seems to work.

Last edited by ~:~blythe~:~; 11-25-2006 at 04:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #2
(female)

Monkeyboots HB User
Re: Dry Flaky Scalp, Ears & Face

Hi,

It could be a yeast imbalance skin problem the same as dandruff effecting your skin too. Maybe try a search on Seborrheic Dermatitis and see if you think it sounds like that is what you have. I have had peeliness on my ears and sides of my face lately.

I have a yeast type imbalance of the skin on my body, (possibly Tinea Versicolor but not typical and I am waiting to see a dermatologist) and was worried it might be affecting my face too. I use anti-dandruff shampoo on the skin for this, they recommend selsun for it but I do find my skin gets very dry and irritated from it.

Have you asked the doctor about it?

M.B

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
(female)

~:~blythe~:~ HB User

hi, thanks for replying. i will do a search on the net about the dermatitis thing.

i have never spoken to my doc about it, never really thought about it.

i may do though, if it doesnt get any better.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
(female)

diddleina HB User

I've had the same symptoms for a couple of years, but recently the redness and flakes flared up inbetween my eyes and along my nose. Really painful and unsightly. I then went to my GP thinking I had Seborrheic Dermatitis, but he took one look and said I have rosacea. He's put me onto tetracycline and because all my usual facewash and moisturisers burnt like hell, I got some products specially for rosacea by B Kamins, and found relief the minute I used it.
I would advise seeing the GP as it could also be psoriasis, which I already have on my elbows, scalp and legs. So it's possible to have several skin disorders at the same time

Old 12-02-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

aussie_jono HB User

have you tried Nizoral 2% shampoo?

when you shampoo, do you leave it on for a few minutes, to give it time to act?

a few days of oral Nizoral can work miricals (you should do some excersise about 2 hours after taking the pill, as it is secreted in the sweat)

Old 12-03-2006, 06:44 AM   #6
(male)

woodyman HB User

Sounds very very much like psoriasis.

Very much like it, I have the condition, and the same symptoms as you it seems.

When you go for your next shampoo, look for a coal-tar based one. I cant remember the name but it is a brown coloured solution, very good for relieving the itching and general appearance.

Get an opinion fropm a GOOD doctor, otherwise psoriasis could well be overlooked. I hope you find out soon, because, although psoriasis is a life-long thing, it can definately be managed, and i found that out from doctors. I am 20 and have had it maybe a year and a half, thee is a lot of good stuff out there.

Good luck getting the help.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

aussie_jono HB User

Would the shampoo be Ionil-T

Old 12-04-2006, 07:48 AM   #8
(male)

woodyman HB User

Not sure whether I will be allowed to do this but i care not, this is the stuff i use:

[url]http://www.dermadoctor.com/product.asp?AID=4201&productid=102[/url]

T-Gel is a Tar based one, as it would be for psoriasis, and is so good at calming down itching and the flakiness that can be mistaken for dandruff, as that is what it would be to anyone else.

There are a load others, but I definately would recommend this as it has been so effective for me.

Good luck with using this or any other one you choose

Closed Thread