It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
(male)

JoeCal HB User
Red Itchy Burning patches on Legs

Hi,
I have had this red, raised, itchy, burning and scaly thing going on for about 5months now.
It is mainly on my shin area but looks like it may be starting on my arms too.

They are somewhat like blotches, but pimply and raised and in more or less circular patches.

I have Seborrhea, but that is under control.
I tried the medicine for the Seborrhea on my legs but it doesn't help.

I can't stand the itching and burning and my doc has no clue what it is.
I also have high triglycerides but don't know if that can cause this?

Any ideas?? Maybe sugar is high??

I have tried cortisone, triamcynolone, beta methasone and ketaconizole creams to no avail. I wanted to post a picture but the forum won't allow me.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: Red Itchy Burning patches on Legs

Itchy,circular patches sounds like ringworm to me. You might have to try the clotrimazole treatment again for a few weeks and make sure you scrub the skin prior to application to remove dead skin cells. First, I think you should consult a dermatologist who could perform a skin scraping or other procedures to positively identify the problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2006, 02:19 PM   #3
(male)

JoeCal HB User
Re: Red Itchy Burning patches on Legs

[QUOTE=Mari526]Itchy,circular patches sounds like ringworm to me. You might have to try the clotrimazole treatment again for a few weeks and make sure you scrub the skin prior to application to remove dead skin cells. First, I think you should consult a dermatologist who could perform a skin scraping or other procedures to positively identify the problem.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mari...
I thought of ring worm, but I also thought of a staph infection because of pictures I viewed on the Internet.
I don't know how I would get either one to be honest with you.

I will keep up the cream you mentioned until I can see my doc after New Years.
Thank you!

Old 12-29-2006, 02:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: Red Itchy Burning patches on Legs

Ringworm is a highly contagious fungal infection so you could have gotten in by touching someone with an infection or a number of other ways. I don't think it's a staph infection but, you really need to see a dermatologist. I sympathize with you, I know how frustrating it is to have a skin problem that your primary doctor can't figure out but, 5 months is a long time so it's time to try another doctor. Good Luck!

Old 12-30-2006, 05:46 AM   #5
(female)

Monkeyboots HB User

Hi Joe,

I have a skin condition that at first I thought was Ringworm then the docs thought tinea versicolor but I saw the Derm and he thinks its not a fungal infection. Definitely worth getting checked with the doctor and ask for an appointment with a derm, if you can where you live.
The anti-fungal stuff like Mari says probably wont harm anyway even if it turns out to be something else.
Some eczemas and other skin conditions can look similar to ringworm . If you want to post a pic, the skincell forum allows you to do that, if you type skincell in search should come up with it.

best wishes
M.B.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:51 AM   #6
(male)

JoeCal HB User

Thanks everybody...
I tried that cream last night and it burned so bad I had to wash it off. It seems the hotter the water I use, the better it makes the leg feel.
I will call the derm Tuesday and set up an appointment ASAP.
Nobody else in the house has it. I am wondering if I caught something from touching the water when I take care of my tropical fish?
Other than that...I have to wait for my appointment.
Happy New Year!

Closed Thread