It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
(female)

South656 HB User
Exclamation VERY Dry Flaky Scalp, itching, burning sensation..NEED over the counter drug advice!

Hi,

I have had a very dry, flaky scalp for many years now and I have been to many dermatologists, doctors, etc. I have been given salex (prescription lotion, peanut oil, medicated shampoo's..I have tried everything it seems like! The only thing that I have found that works is a foam called LUXIQ (which is a betamethasone valerate medication). It works wonders except it is considered a steriod and it is not supposed to be used frequently. My doctor has advised me to only use about twice a week or as sparingly as possible. If I miss even 1 day though, my head becomes itchy and flaky uncontrollably! It is absolutely miserable! So I have to use it every day, which forces me to have to re-fill my prescription for it once a month. I have done this for about a year or so now and my doctor has only cautioned me about the use of it, never deprived me of the use of it though. Well now for some reason my doc is saying that I need to try and use something non-steriod based, such as over the counter medication for this. I explained to her that Luxiq is the only medication I have used that actually works but she insists that I at least try using something else for now.

So my question to anyone out there who may have experienced something similar to this or who may be going through this now, does anyone have any recommendations on what type of over the counter medications I can use to help treat excema, or possible psoriasis type symtoms? My doctor seems to think it is more like excema but I also have an auto-immune disorder (palendromic rheumatism) and I know psoriasis can be linked to that.

Please HELP if you possibly can! I would be SO VERY grateful to anyone that can shed a little light on this for me!

Thank you so much for your time and help in advance.

Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
(female)

TracersQQ HB User
Re: VERY Dry Flaky Scalp, itching, burning sensation..NEED over the counter drug advice!

Has you Dr. ever tested you for a chemical allergy? I ask because I had something similar around my eyes, on my scalp and in my ears. It turned out to be a fragrance allergy and now I can't use any shampoos with any fragrance in them. Even perscription shampoos and ointments have fragrance. These perscriptions may be causing your problems. Ask him to do skin patch testing. That way you'll know what to stay away from. Yours may not be fragrance, it could be another common chemical. After the testing, your derm. will be able to give you a list of products you can use. If you want to try something right now, try Shampoo and/ or conditioner call Free and Clear, it's made by Pharmaceutical specialties. It is hard to find - All CVS's carry it, but if that's not an option ask at several different pharmacies, someone should be able to order it for you and you'll have it in like 2 days. They also, have a website. It's free of all the common chemicals that people are allergic to. It can take a couple of weeks for your condition to start feeling better and can take 4 months for it to go away, completely. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
(female)

desiii HB User
Re: VERY Dry Flaky Scalp, itching, burning sensation..NEED over the counter drug advice!

I agree, it could be a shampoo sensitivity.

Some easy things you could try are:

`soak your scalp in apple cider vinegar for about 10 minutes every day and then rinse it out.
`rub some tea tree oil into your scalp at least once a week (wear it overnight).
`rub a lanolin based skin moisturizer into your scalp and leave it in overnight.

None of those are guaranteed. But they do work for some people, and they're harmless.

Edit - Melaleuca products say that you shouldn't use them for dermatitis. So disregard my mention of tea tree oil. I'll have to research that one more. It may be ok, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by desiii; 01-16-2007 at 08:19 PM. Reason: New info

Old 01-13-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bunny9987 HB User
Re: VERY Dry Flaky Scalp, itching, burning sensation..NEED over the counter drug advi

its called Seborrheic Dermatitis. i use Loprox shampoo, and Ketaconazole cream from the derm.

Closed Thread