It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
(male)

peelinghands HB User
Sporadic peeling hands and feet, starts in tiny circles

I'm now starting into my third attack (over two years) of an odd, painless, dermal condition which I cannot get a diagnosis or direction on. The condition is as follows:

Initially, a very few (< 10) very tiny little circles of dry skin appear on my hands and feet - usually in the palm, and up the fingers, or on the soles and edges of soles of my feet. They are scattered about a bit, but more often are slightly grouped. The balls of my hands become very slightly itchy and slightly redden. Within a week or so, these broaden and begin to turn into dry flakes which I can pick at and peel off. Eventually, after a few weeks, the insides of my both entire hands will have flaked and peeled off. Then the condition disappears and doesn't return for a long time. The entire condition is only manifested on the inside of my hands, and never appears on the back. There is no real pain or discomfort with it, other than in the first week or two when the balls of my hands are just a little itchy.

I shouldn't complain, it's a very benign condition - but it's a little embarrassing shaking hands with people, with these dry and flaky hands and all this skin quite visibly peeling off. And of course I tend to pick at the skin and that's annoying for me and others.

I've been to two dermatologists about this, and in both cases the response was the same - "We have no idea what this is". They've twice tested for a fungal infection, scraping samples and doing microscopy, but both said there's no evidence of any fungus.

Any ideas?

Last edited by peelinghands; 01-13-2007 at 09:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
(female)

hollynbaby HB User
Re: Sporadic peeling hands and feet, starts in tiny circles

I may have a simular problem. Question--do you have red spots all over the peeling areas as well?

Old 04-10-2007, 05:57 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

I have the same thing too!! With the red spots. Never figured it out. Mom had it and Biotin worked for her. I tried Biotin and it made it worse!

So you have no answers but at least you are not alone.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
(male)

peelinghands HB User

[QUOTE=hollynbaby;2911507]Question--do you have red spots all over the peeling areas as well?[/QUOTE]

No, I don't. The area of skin around the peeling on the balls of my hands does become a little redder, and that's where it itches.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #5
(female)

amanda85 HB User

I have this, and my doctor has said it's a stress related exhema (spelling?)

I put some dermaid or something aimed at relieving exhema and it usually goes away after a while. I get it quite often (I'm a big stress head)

Does yours on your fingers go a bit numb sometimes?

Last edited by amanda85; 05-24-2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-24-2007, 07:50 AM   #6
(female)

pommpy HB User

Sounds like pompholyx. Form of dermatitis affecting hands and feet. It can be caused by weather, allergy, stress or an idopathic reaction to a fungal infection. I get it on my hand and on fingers (mild case) and it starts off as tiny little blister (sometimes deep rooted) like bumps and them peels and flakes in a large circle. Mine usually starts in spring and can completely go or return. I think mine is either stress and/or allergy related as everytime it goes and I put my watch and bracelet back on it returns. Strange and annoying!!!!!

Old 06-28-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
(female)

Skimom3 HB User
Re: peeling hands

My fingers have also been peeling. Mostly it involves my right hand. However, for the first time, I have peeling on my left index finger and the tip of my ring finger. I notice that it coincides with when I play tennis or golf. A dermatologist thinks I have an allgery to the rubber grips on my golf clubs and tennis racquet. This is an interesting possibility because I wear a glove on my left hand for golf. I play tennis on a clay court and I am wondering if it is the pesticides on the courts (and the golf courses) that is causing the problem.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
(female)

valeriec17 HB User

I thought I was a freak of nature because I had to hide my hands and feet every 6-12 months to keep people from seeing that I was "molting". I'm sorry to hear that others have to deal with this too, but glad to hear that I'm not alone. However, after looking up pompholxy, I don't think that's an accurate description. Pophloxy seems to start with actual blisters and looks as if it can be destructive and painful.

Mine starts with itching, then about a week later, very small, dry circles (like dry, empty blisters) that, when pulled, can turn into a small sheet of skin. It's peels like a sunburn, but the layers of skin are much thicker. It's completely painless except that the skin revealed can be tender. It almost always happens on my hands and feet at the same time and makes me want to wear gloves in the summer.

Since it's basically just a nuisance I've never asked my doctor about it, but if anyone can give me the name for this, I'd be grateful.

Closed Thread