It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
(female)

picasso0605 HB User
Question Cuts on corners of mouth

I have a cut on both sides of my mouth. It's not far - if even - touching the corners of my lips. It hurts to open my mouth wide because of the cuts and little scabs on them. I pull the scabs off (oops!) and it temporarily feels better while it bleeds and a new one forms. Sometimes the scabs fall off on their own too.

Any idea what this is and how I can fix it? The wait to see a doctor this time of year is pretty long.

Thanks,

Picasso

Old 01-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User
Re: Cuts on corners of mouth

Picasso,
There are a couple things it could be from a food related reaction to a viral infection.

First question is, do you eat alot of spicey foods like mexican or italian foods? I used to eat alot of mexican foods for lunch back in college and I would get cankor sores. Never on the outside of my mouth. Always inside my cheeks or gum line but, I have heard of people who get their food related sores on the outside corners of their mouths. Even if you don't eat alot of spicey foods, you may still have a food allergy to something. Do you have alot of tummy aches? Or, a tummy ache once or twice (or more a week)?

It could be a cold sore which I think is the same as a kankor (sp) sore. Get some Abreva. It is in a little blue tube in the pharmacy section of the grocery store. It tends to be expensive but, I have had tubes that last 4 or more years. Anyway, anytime I get a sore (again...mine are only inside my mouth) I use the Abreva and it goes away pretty quickly. So, it is well worth the price tag!

The last thing I hesitate to mention is Herpes. But, before you get weirded out about that word, keep in mind that Herpes doesn't always imply an STD. I don't know enough about Herpes to say how one can get it without it being related to and STD but, I do know that that is a common misconception.

Anyway, you might go for a visit with your dentist or your regular PCP (doctor) and have them run a culture on it to determine what for sure it is. It could just be weather related. You may be chapped in that area. It could be related to the type of toothpaste you use. There are so many different reasons for those sores that it is basically a process of elimination to find out what it is if you try to diagnose it for yourself. But, if you see your doctor, he or she can diagnose it faster and help make you better.

Take care and keep in touch!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
(female)

kanadierin HB User

Hi, and thanks for the reply!

I don't think it's spicey food as I (sadly) haven't had any in ages. I don't think it's toothpaste becase I'm using the same that I have been for years. It could be allergies - I have many but again, my diet hasn't changed in years. I did try some googling and I thought maybe I have low iron... always tired, often cold, headaches, trouble concentrating. These cuts were also on the list... so I'm going to try to get an appointment with my family docttor or the university doctor this week - although this time of year it's darn near impossible .

I guess I do lack iron in my diet... so maybe that's it.

Thanks again,

P

Old 01-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
(female)

pepperton HB User

Hi Picasso, I think I once read that sores in the corners of your mouth can be caused by low potassium. Try some over the counter and see if that helps.
Good luck, I know nothing is more painful than a cut in the corner and it takes forever to heal.
Pepperton

Old 02-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
(female)

Vivian HB User

I just took my son to the dermatologist for this. She said it is caused by yeast and gave him a prescription ointment. It is already working. She also said that if the prescription didn't work, she would talk to us about a vitamin deficiency. Hope this helps.

Vivian

Old 02-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
(female)

kathyd HB User

My son also occasionally gets cuts in the corner of his mouth - it is a type of yeast infection. He gave him Nystatin cream and it cleared it right up. If you could call your primary care physician and tell him what it is he may be able to prescribe it over the phone. Good Luck.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #7
(female)

Skinamarinka HB User

Hi,
Cuts on the corners of the mouth can be a vitamin B6 deficiency symptom. It was for me. If it is due to this, it will respond well to supplementation. I like the activated sublingual type, it goes to work right away.
Best wishes.

Closed Thread